Dell

Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2721DGF $369

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 9:00 am
[OP]
Feb 28, 2020
107 posts
143 upvotes
Fully utilize? No. But overall, it's pretty ideal if you are looking to do some gaming.
Apr 2, 2009
257 posts
152 upvotes
Vancouver
jacquesstrap wrote: This is a really great price for a really great monitor. Beware that the panel lottery is definitely real - I had 3 replacements sent before I settled on one that was acceptable.

Not sure what the wait time is like on orders for this now, but when I ordered one last boxing day it took 4 months to arrive.
I received my unit 2 weeks ago. Works perfectly. HDR isn't great but that's not why I bought it. Took about a week from order date as I'm in Vancouver and the warehouse shipped from Vancouver.
Apr 2, 2009
257 posts
152 upvotes
Vancouver
ShocWave wrote: FYI, I've had to exchange this monitor 4 times due to multiple dead pixels. Still waiting for my 5th to arrive...
I bought it over a month ago, and I still don't have a decent unit without defects.

It could be a bad batch or something, but I thought I'd let you guys know.
Manufacturer date was May 2021 on all the bad units.
The unit I received 2 weeks ago was manufactured in June. Highly recommend for gaming.
Nov 7, 2020
9 posts
Would getting 2 of these monitors make sense if I have a 3060 ti?
Apr 2, 2009
257 posts
152 upvotes
Vancouver
aquaman123 wrote: Agreed about 27 being too small for 4k

I had three different 27 monitors from Dell simultaneous at one point: 4k/60hz, 2721dgf and 1080/240hz all side by side. I have to say the 2721dgf at 1440 was the sweet spot. With the 4k, everything was just too tiny so I had so set Windows to scale everything up 150 or 200%, I can't remember which, but it defeats the purpose of having 4k (for me anyways). The 1080 resolution was way too low and I didn't need 240hz since I have the reaction time of a sloth.

I ended up with dual 2721dgf and couldn't be happier. Great for gaming and and dealing with spreadsheets with wfh now.

I'm tempted to get a third but it's just too wide for me. When I had all three, I was turning my head way too much and it was pretty annoying. If you're thinking about triple 27, keep in mind each one of 60 cm/2' wide. That makes it 6' of monitor to scan and I sit about three feet back. I know I could go vertical with the third but that'd defeat the purpose of having a gaming monitor.
Yeah I don't know why people want a 27" 4k display. Around 110 PPI pixel density is ideal and anything higher can be difficult to read unless you're sitting very close.
https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-pixel-density/

27" at 1440p is the sweet spot. I have a 32" 4k monitor that I sit 2ft away front - any further and it gets too small.
Nov 26, 2015
138 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
upsydaisy wrote: Yeah I don't know why people want a 27" 4k display. Around 110 PPI pixel density is ideal and anything higher can be difficult to read unless you're sitting very close.

27" at 1440p is the sweet spot. I have a 32" 4k monitor that I sit 2ft away front - any further and it gets too small.
And yet every mac has a higher pixel density.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2012
1296 posts
925 upvotes
upsydaisy wrote: Yeah I don't know why people want a 27" 4k display. Around 110 PPI pixel density is ideal and anything higher can be difficult to read unless you're sitting very close.

4K 27" is ideal for reading construction drawings IMO. I wouldn't trade them for anything
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3482 posts
4487 upvotes
SideFFect26 wrote: I just noticed this monitor is on sale too, for $110 less and with a much better contrast ratio

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-27 ... ccessories

Any thoughts?
I have the 3220dgf and 2 2721dgf.

First don't listen to people that say that ips is superior, it is totally not true.

IPs and va are different technology and have their own strength and weakness.

For me, ips drives me crazy due to ips glows and blacks are not true blacks. I still ended up using my va panel as main because for my usage, I prefer black to be actual black and not a glowing black.

At the end it depends on what you prefer and what things bother you more. Everyone's different.
Jan 1, 2018
635 posts
990 upvotes
Luyuan20 wrote: 4K 27" is ideal for reading construction drawings IMO. I wouldn't trade them for anything

4k at 27 inch is terrible.

Anyone that thinks 27 inch is remotely feasible for 4k hasn't tried enough monitors.
Jan 1, 2018
635 posts
990 upvotes
Cross3578 wrote: Would getting 2 of these monitors make sense if I have a 3060 ti?
I have two of these monitors, with a 3060ti machine.

While watching twice on one, and warzone on max settings on other, I average about 115 to 120 frames.
Dec 26, 2011
702 posts
290 upvotes
panckage wrote: OK thanks. I'm not impressed with mine. Motion is very smooth but contrast ratio is much worse my 2011 27“ 1440p budget overclockable Korean monitor (remember those?!)... This gets downvoted whenever I post it so curious if my s2721dgf is bad... Or just normal? It has an annoying white sheen on it (matte filter?)

I still use my Korean monitor for everything but gaming. It is just that much better...

But TBH I think my s2721dgf is probably OK... Looks terrible with brightness all the way up (blacks become white) but I guess it's normal...
The LG 1440p high refresh IPS panels (which this Dell uses) have relatively weak contrast for an IPS panel. There's unit and measurement variance but they typically measure around 800:1 or lower. By comparison AUO, Innolux and Sharp alternative panels will measure over 1000:1 (really 1100:1 or higher based on most reviews). I don't know what exact monitor you're comparing it with but I'd assume it's more typical of IPS displays and likely 1000:1 (or around those parts). Side by side even a bright room that type of difference is noticeable.

It's main strength is it has the best response time out of the 4 (and "fast" IPS response times have improved somewhat, which is likely why you notice the difference), although at the same time it has an issue that makes implementations of strobing problematic which is why almost none of the monitors using it have strobing as an option. However the Sharp and AUO panels aren't really slow (the Sharp is better in some respects). The Innolux panel is clearly the slowest of the 4 however.

If it has the "Nano IPS" coating it also has the widest color gamut and with the Sharp, but the latter is optimized for a different color space. So a bit of a wash here.

TDLR is don't listen to the hype over any of the 4 panels in this category and people who claim one monitor is the "best" that over another. It's trade offs all around.
Nov 26, 2015
138 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
upsydaisy wrote: This has been discussed in many Mac forums. Macs don't render text at full 1:1 display resolution which is why text is easy to read despite being a 5K 27" iMac
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/i- ... n.2176777/
Sure, but the argument was that 4K is a bad resolution for a 27 monitor. The real issue people seem to have is that Windows is bad at scaling. I bought the QS to hook up to a MacBook. I don’t know why I would want 1440 for that use.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2020
107 posts
143 upvotes
Typical windows usage is fine. The majority of problems stemming from scaling issues are related to the software you're using.

Also, I don't understand why people can't just not use 100% scaling? High DPI displays are nice.
Jan 1, 2018
635 posts
990 upvotes
wrenkin wrote: Sure, but the argument was that 4K is a bad resolution for a 27 monitor. The real issue people seem to have is that Windows is bad at scaling. I bought the QS to hook up to a MacBook. I don’t know why I would want 1440 for that use.
It's software and games that can be affected by scaling, that's on a Mac or windows.

27 is too small for 4k, it just doesn't make any sense.
Nov 7, 2020
9 posts
KevinT277396 wrote: I have two of these monitors, with a 3060ti machine.

While watching twice on one, and warzone on max settings on other, I average about 115 to 120 frames.
Thanks! I pulled the trigger on this.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2371 posts
1348 upvotes
Antarctica
TeeKayTK wrote: Also, I don't understand why people can't just not use 100% scaling? High DPI displays are nice.
Personally I find text to be too small to read so I end up going for 125%.
Dec 9, 2001
666 posts
444 upvotes
Vancouver
I hope you guys are inspecting your monitors very carefully. I just received my 5th replacement S2721DGF today, and found 7 (yes 7) lit pixels. This time, it was manufactured in June 2021.

This might be the first and last time I buy a Dell monitor.
I'm not sure how many more replacements it will take before I get a good panel. But at least dell has a zero bright dot policy for higher end monitors.

Dell has a built in diagnostic tool. If you hold the bottom-most button for 5 seconds, then choose the option on the far right, you can cycle between fullscreen colors red, green, blue, white, and black.
Sep 16, 2017
232 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
ShocWave wrote: I hope you guys are inspecting your monitors very carefully. I just received my 5th replacement S2721DGF today, and found 7 (yes 7) lit pixels. This time, it was manufactured in June 2021.

This might be the first and last time I buy a Dell monitor.
I'm not sure how many more replacements it will take before I get a good panel. But at least dell has a zero bright dot policy for higher end monitors.

Dell has a built in diagnostic tool. If you hold the bottom-most button for 5 seconds, then choose the option on the far right, you can cycle between fullscreen colors red, green, blue, white, and black.
That’s is ridiculous tbh. Such a poor QC.
Jan 15, 2020
49 posts
169 upvotes
Is the 15% rakuten dead? I only see 2%. Also, how do I get the Dell advantage discount too?