[Dell] Dell 32 Curved 4K UHD Monitor - S3221QS - 432$

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 5:08 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1324 posts
1066 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
cgtlky wrote: So did you cancel your order or are you going to wait for the delivery date ?
I am sitting on it for a few days just to see if the delivery date gets pushed up...

I checked out other sites: Best Buy, Staples, Canada Computers. Nothing really comes close.
Dec 10, 2004
103 posts
50 upvotes
I need 4k monitor for my laptop used for work only. While this monitor is a good deal, Nov 10 delivery date is not so good... I bought S2721QS instead with the estimated delivery date of Sep 22 ($386.99+tax)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2517 posts
2152 upvotes
Montreal
How does this compare to the U3419W? I have not kept up with monitor technology, but it seems that this deal is much better?
Apr 9, 2006
495 posts
68 upvotes
Would 2 x 32” of this 4K better choice than the Samsung 49” 1440 model? Dual still cheaper and can get longer warranty
Jun 1, 2008
300 posts
192 upvotes
London
Jimbo67 wrote: You might get some temporary eyestrain, that's about it
Blue light blocking lenses have helped relieve my eye strain caused by monitors.
Jan 6, 2016
62 posts
10 upvotes
Airdrie, Alberta
How does this compare to the Samsung 32" UJ590?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4478 posts
3054 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
FrancisBacon wrote: How does this compare to the U3419W? I have not kept up with monitor technology, but it seems that this deal is much better?
U3419W is an ultrawide. Different than this monitor. Ultrawide take up more space and primarily used for gaming and movies.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6527 posts
1465 upvotes
Toronto
herrdude wrote: I am sitting on it for a few days just to see if the delivery date gets pushed up...

I checked out other sites: Best Buy, Staples, Canada Computers. Nothing really comes close.
I try today the date is now Nov. 10.
Jun 27, 2004
271 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I just got the S3220DGF and couldn't be happier. S3220DGF seems to be more geared towards gaming than this S3221QS (S3220DGF has faster response times).
I've used IPS for years, and this VA has much more vibrant colours. If you're a competitive FPS gamer, you probably want IPS though (I'm not).
The only downside for me with a 1440p 32" is that the text isn't as sharp as I like it. I also have the S2719DGF and the text in Windows/Web browsing is much sharper. However in games, absolutely no difference in sharpness, and I do benefit from the more vivid colours of the VA panel, and the shitty HDR400 is better than no HDR at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1324 posts
1066 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
cgtlky wrote: I try today the date is now Nov. 10.
:facepalm: Almost two months...
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2517 posts
2152 upvotes
Montreal
bomber17 wrote: U3419W is an ultrawide. Different than this monitor. Ultrawide take up more space and primarily used for gaming and movies.

I understand, but when I compare the sizes (32" vs 34") and resolution (3840 x 2160 vs 3440 x 1440) it's not immediately obvious which would be best for an office environment plus watching movies.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14182 posts
5381 upvotes
Ottawa
FrancisBacon wrote: I understand, but when I compare the sizes (32" vs 34") and resolution (3840 x 2160 vs 3440 x 1440) it's not immediately obvious which would be best for an office environment plus watching movies.
It's debatable, some people like ultrawide, but some people might prefer this one.

This monitor is taller about 2" in vertical space and so you can fit more content vertically, but an ultrawide allows more room for two programs to work side by side better. Personally I don't like ultrawide because I found myself looking left and right too often. I prefer my primary program to be maximized in the middle of the screen and if you do that with a document on an ultrawide, the text could be way over to the left. There are ways you can mitigate the arrange the programs on the desktop by using wIndow snapping features of the OS, or use a third party utility but I didn't feel I was enjoying the ultrawide as much in the end.

On an ultrawide, movies may not fill the screen unless they are 21:9 movies. I don't game so the primary benefit of the ultrawide monitors is kind of wasted. I feel ultrawides are popular mainly because of gamers.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2517 posts
2152 upvotes
Montreal
warpdrive wrote: an ultrawide allows more room for two programs to work side by side better. .
I was wondering about that, because I noticed that although this monitor is not ultrawide, it had many more horizontal pixels than the ultrawide.

So in theory you can fit more characters or Excel columns on this monitor than on the ultrawide. But because it's physically narrower, I wonder how usable these extra pixels will be (ie, will a user need to use larger fonts or magnification, which will mostly negate the use of the extra pixels )

In my case it's mainly office work and movies usage, no gaming.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14182 posts
5381 upvotes
Ottawa
FrancisBacon wrote: I was wondering about that, because I noticed that although this monitor is not ultrawide, it had many more horizontal pixels than the ultrawide.

So in theory you can fit more characters or Excel columns on this monitor than on the ultrawide. But because it's physically narrower, I wonder how usable these extra pixels will be (ie, will a user need to use larger fonts or magnification, which will mostly negate the use of the extra pixels )

Yes, you will likely use the OS scaling to make text more comfortably sized, but the benefit is that everything looks sharper. If you put your head up really close to the screen, you will have trouble seeing the pixels because the pixels are so small. 4K monitor of this size is around 140 pixels per inch, whereas the 34 ultrawide is 110 ppi. Text is always razor sharp.

Either way, this monitor is physically taller, which allows you to fit the more of a page of a PDF onto the screen which is the main benefit I like, there is less scrolling up and down. For computer programming I can see more of the code I am looking at. And for working on a Powerpoint, when I maximize the slide, it fills up more of the screen real estate. The ultrawide shape is really mainly suited for content like games and cinemascope movies.

I have the older 3415 and I swapped it out in favour of a 32" 4K monitor for working at home. I wouldn't go back.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4478 posts
3054 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
FrancisBacon wrote: I was wondering about that, because I noticed that although this monitor is not ultrawide, it had many more horizontal pixels than the ultrawide.

This monitor will suit you better for office work. Only way I see ultrawide really do well in an office setting is if you had two of them stacked on top of each other. I seen a trading platform like that and it works well. But that's a lot of real estate you may not even need.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.