• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 6:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6690 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Elecpro wrote: I got the "Your Dell order has shipped" email yesterday evening,

I even have now the Purulator tracking number!! (you need to ckeck your order status)

Fri. Sept. 25, 2020 - 2:02 p.m. TORONTO SORT CTR/CTR TRI, ON Arrived at sort facility!!!!

It looks like I should get it way before Nov10!!!
Mine is showing "on vehicle for delivery"
Apr 9, 2006
509 posts
132 upvotes
Got my two screen today. got them in 4 days after the shipping notification came.
cgtlky wrote: How many days after you received the shipping notification, was the monitor actually delivered to your address? Thanks
Jan 9, 2007
325 posts
192 upvotes
Fredericton
Received my monitor today. Disappointed with the quality overall.

I'm upgrading from a Dell U2407 and sadly, this doesn't even compare.

Pros:
- 4K res
- stand appears sturdy and up to the task
- off-angle viewing seemed fine
- aesthetically appealing

Cons:
- cold bright blue hue to everything (colours appeared washed out)...reminded me of the difference between old soft-white incandescent bulbs and today's frustratingly cold white energy efficient bulbs ... if you search S3221QS on youtube, you'll see one of the only guys making video reviews of this monitor (a programmer) and you can get a bit of a sense of how colours are washed out...but it's worse in person IMO.
- terrible banding / pixelation / rendering of blacks (I was shocked by this, after hearing all the jazz about VA's better blacks and contrast...but this was garbage)
- one pixel stuck or dead right in the middle of the screen (didn't show up in white screen examination, glad I thought to check other colours as it was disappointingly obvious in black/red/green screen tests)
- no 'in/out' tilting towards or away from you

Doing a side-by-side comparison, it was shocking how much worse this was than a fifteen year old Dell U-series monitor. I'm amazed (not in a good way) and really disappointed. The only silver lining is that I know I can absolutely get used to 32" and a curve. I was adjusting to both within an hour.

But this isn't much more than an average Staples or Costco monitor you'd perhaps hope to catch on sale for $300. Nothing special about it at all. And the rendering of dark scenes...ugh...just horrific and absolute deal breaker. This sub-standard product is going back to Dell.

Wish I could upload pics/vids directly to RFD so you could see the image quality. Will add if I can get them to a URL and link it in that way.
Nov 2, 2008
31 posts
33 upvotes
Serlin wrote: Received my monitor today. Disappointed with the quality overall.

Pros:
- 4K res

Cons:
- cold bright blue hue to everything (colours appeared washed out)...reminded me of the difference between old soft-white incandescent bulbs and today's frustratingly cold white energy efficient bulbs ... if you search S3221QS on youtube, you'll see one of the only guys making video reviews of this monitor (a programmer) and you can get a bit of a sense of how colours are washed out...but it's worse in person IMO.
- terrible banding / pixelation / rendering of blacks (I was shocked by this, after hearing all the jazz about VA's better blacks and contrast...but this was garbage)
- one pixel stuck or dead right in the middle of the screen (didn't show up in white screen examination, glad I thought to check other colours as it was disappointingly obvious in black/red/green screen tests)

Doing a side-by-side comparison, it was shocking how much worse this was than a fifteen year old Dell U-series monitor. I'm amazed (not in a good way) and really disappointed. The only silver lining is that I know I can absolutely get used to 32" and a curve. I was adjusting to both within an hour.

But this isn't much more than an average Staples or Costco monitor you'd perhaps hope to catch on sale for $300. Nothing special about it at all. And the rendering of dark scenes...ugh...just horrific and absolute deal breaker. This sub-standard product is going back to Dell.

Wish I could upload pics/vids directly to RFD so you could see the image quality. Will add if I can get them to a URL and link it in that way.
Could you please elaborate on your reasons for being so critical of this monitor?

Please also provide all details such as the source used with resolution, FPS as well as the settings attempted on the monitor etc.

Thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6690 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Serlin wrote: Received my monitor today. Disappointed with the quality overall.

Pros:
- 4K res

Cons:

How to contact Dell if I want to return the monitor? Thanks
Nov 2, 2008
31 posts
33 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: How to contact Dell if I want to return the monitor? Thanks
Woud you please elaborate on your reasons for wanting to return this monitor?

Please also provide all details such as the source used with resolution, FPS, methodology as well as the settings attempted on the monitor etc.

All monitors and TV need some sort of calibration so I suggest that you calibrate yours before returning it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6690 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Elecpro wrote: Woud you please elaborate on your reasons for wanting to return this monitor?

Please also provide all details such as the source used with resolution, FPS, methodology as well as the settings attempted on the monitor etc.

All monitors and TV need some sort of calibration so I suggest that you calibrate yours before returning it.
Mine have nothing to do with those, except the 2 screen, is not fit into the 32 inches monitor, I need a bigger screen since my WFH might now last until 1st quarter of 2021 (we have no exact idea regards to the impact of Covid-19 second wave).
Oct 26, 2015
5 posts
1 upvote
Kanata, ON
I also received mine yesterday and am a bit... disappointed.

The black levels aren't very even or the viewing angles are very narrow.

If this is used for bright scenes or white background text editing and web pages, you'll probably be fine.
But I use dark background for as much as I can (I find the contrast helps with my middle-aged vision and text). So what I noticed was the "black" areas faded to light gray very quickly and were very distracting.

The curvature is nice and helpful like I expected (I had an LG 34" curved that has been 'reallocated' in the home).
But the uneven black levels are borderline unacceptable. The 13/14 year old Dell 2007WFP (ultrasharp) is better than this one, just tiny in today's context).

32" 4k is tiny text (as expected), so it's setup ~24" in front of me. This probably makes the viewing angles more noticeable.
The sharpness adjustments didn't seem help with text either (<50 is definitely too fuzzy. >>50 there starts to be some ringing like the white just after a vertical black line is extra bright. looked as bad as when I was using a RGBW panel as a monitor--don't. text is awful.

The stand was also a bit short -- maybe not unusual, but shorter than I'd expected (my desk is keyboard tray height)

My intended usage was 90% text (code)/webpage. 5% video, 5% gaming.
I'm going to give this another day, but probably sending it back. I pushed the TV back another 4" so the "viewing angles" were approximately the same, and I think I prefer the TV I'm using. just wish it was curved.
Images
  • 20200929_mon.jpg
Jan 9, 2007
325 posts
192 upvotes
Fredericton
Elecpro wrote: Could you please elaborate on your reasons for being so critical of this monitor?

Please also provide all details such as the source used with resolution, FPS as well as the settings attempted on the monitor etc.

Thank you!
Interestingly, I thought I was being quite fair. I could have been a bit more unkind in my review, as it seems quite clear to me that this monitor is no tremendous value at the price-point offered in OPs original post.

In regard to reasons then, what more do you need said? Is what I offered not clear? The Dell S3221QS is, compared to a 15 year-old U-series monitor, inferior in almost every way (less resolution) when it comes to image quality. Isn't that condemnation enough? If not, are the cons I've listed - equal to the number of pros I've listed - not illuminating? I've shared my thoughts for others to take at face value. If a reader cannot, or doing so doesn't provide an orientation of the potential pitfalls of this monitor, then perhaps folks might be better served by a more thorough review of their own, or perhaps by the review of a trade expert who could offer a more suited level of in-depth detail, etc.

In regard to details about 'source', I used commonly available programs (e.g. Word, Firefox, Edge, Minecraft, Youtube), assessing a variety of resolution material, gameplay, playback, etc. Essentially, I mimicked what one might do on any given day of computer use. Both monitors remained at their appropriate default settings; comments offered reflect my judgement of merit at expected usage settings (i.e. 4K S-series monitor playing back 4K source material). The results were clear, the S-series was shockingly poor in comparison, when it should have exceeded or excelled. It didn't.

As you can infer from it's absence in my post, there was no testing of FPS, nor adjustment of monitor settings attempted. This is RFD, not Anandtech. Considerate of the dearth of info available online about this monitor, I should hope my feedback proves valuable to others. If not, meh. I have no dog in the fight.
Last edited by Serlin on Sep 30th, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 9, 2007
325 posts
192 upvotes
Fredericton
cgtlky wrote: How to contact Dell if I want to return the monitor? Thanks
I simply sent them an email, outlining the issues and poor performance, and asking for an RMA (via their Dell.ca 'contact us' link).

I received my RMA form today and will ship the monitor back to them tomorrow. C'est la vie.
Jan 30, 2016
159 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo
I will have mine tomorrow and probably can see for myself, but from the early access review numbers of rtings, this monitor shouldn't be that bad.
Rtings review is out, I guess it is fine except the black uniformity is indeed lower than ideal.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3221qs
Jan 14, 2008
118 posts
36 upvotes
Kelowna
People are receiving theirs already and mine still says Nov 12 ship
Oct 1, 2005
449 posts
5 upvotes
For real, I ordered early on the 13th too and no sign of shipping
Jul 21, 2015
450 posts
288 upvotes
North York, ON
Serlin wrote: Interestingly, I thought I was being quite fair. I could have been a bit more unkind in my review, as it seems quite clear to me that this monitor is no tremendous value at the price-point offered in OPs original post.

In regard to reasons then, what more do you need said? Is what I offered not clear? The Dell S3221QS is, compared to a 15 year-old U-series monitor, inferior in almost every way (less resolution) when it comes to image quality. Isn't that condemnation enough? If not, are the cons I've listed - equal to the number of pros I've listed - not illuminating? I've shared my thoughts for others to take at face value. If a reader cannot, or doing so doesn't provide an orientation of the potential pitfalls of this monitor, then perhaps folks might be better served by a more thorough review of their own, or perhaps by the review of a trade expert who could offer a more suited level of in-depth detail, etc.

In regard to details about 'source', I used commonly available programs (e.g. Word, Firefox, Edge, Minecraft, Youtube), assessing a variety of resolution material, gameplay, playback, etc. Essentially, I mimicked what one might do on any given day of computer use. Both monitors remained at their appropriate default settings; comments offered reflect my judgement of merit at expected usage settings (i.e. 4K S-series monitor playing back 4K source material). The results were clear, the S-series was shockingly poor in comparison, when it should have exceeded or excelled. It didn't.

As you can infer from it's absence in my post, there was no testing of FPS, nor adjustment of monitor settings attempted. This is RFD, not Anandtech. Considerate of the dearth of info available online about this monitor, I should hope my feedback proves valuable to others. If not, meh. I have no dog in the fight.
I think picture quality wise, the technology hasn't involved that much.

Plus your old minitor was the ultrasharp series, and S3221QS is not. If you wanna compare with Ultrawide series 32 inch, it is well over $1000.

Can't comment on about other issues you raise as bandings, and blue lights, it is possible you just got the lime.

But I found this monitor offered quite a lot at $420 price point.

Plus the PBP and PIP functionality.