Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell black Friday Sneak Peak

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2020 12:37 am
Nov 13, 2016
118 posts
108 upvotes
hkmixx wrote: The main benefit IMO of 4k on a laptop is scaling -- at 200% scale you get an effective 1080p resolution with 4x the pixels. With 1440p, you probably don't want to scale, otherwise you either get an awkward 150% scaling or you scale 200% and end up with an effective 720p resolution.
Then why bother with the more expensive 4K display if all you're going to do is scale things back to 1080p resolutions?

Thanks,
Harry
Dec 3, 2012
563 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HarryMuscle wrote: Then why bother with the more expensive 4K display if all you're going to do is scale things back to 1080p resolutions?

Thanks,
Harry
It's proper 200% scaling, so it looks like 1080p but text and images are much sharper. The screen is still rendering at full 2160p.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
324 posts
786 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
hkmixx wrote: It's proper 200% scaling, so it looks like 1080p but text and images are much sharper. The screen is still rendering at full 2160p.
With 1/2 or 1/3 of the original battery life? That is what I honestly never really understood about getting 4k on a laptop. Lose all the benefits of real estate in exchange for worse battery life and sharper text?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2517 posts
902 upvotes
Ottawa
Patrickpete wrote: Ended going for the https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/5rj0. Excellent monitor at its lowest price point. It's not 144hz but I'm not a big gamer more of a productivity person; rather save myself 200-300 over getting a feature I might rarely use. Just bringing this up for anyone in the market for an decent 1440p 27 inch 75hz monitor.
I was also looking at that monitor. But I don't know enough about monitors to tell if it would be a good price.
Jun 6, 2013
457 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto, ON
splitskull wrote: i cant get any of these fkin dell links to open. New tab just closes itself
Turn off your ad blocker
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
324 posts
786 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
eugene188 wrote: I was also looking at that monitor. But I don't know enough about monitors to tell if it would be a good price.
It's an excellent monitor if you are into anything but competitive fps. 75 hz, Ips, 1440p and recent. I will use it mostly for productivity purposes and some gaming. If you get it, make sure you call in and pretend you want to cancel the order because you find it a bit expensive, they will give you a bit off. For me, I got an extra 20 dollars off. I was originally planning to go for the dell 144hz ips monitor but realized I would have to fork over an extra 200-300 just for the monitor not counting the money it will cost to build a new system to support the fps to make use of the monitor. Not worth it.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4428 posts
1005 upvotes
Novawest2019 wrote: some of the loss leaders i looked at in recent months tend to skimp big time on some things while still including a higher profile cpu to get you hooked. as an example, the acer stuff is pretty sketchy imho
How so? Specifically, what components are being skimped on?
May 9, 2015
8 posts
Canada
Dell 34 UltraSharp Curved USB-C IPS Monitor - $929.99 (regularly $1320.59) - is this a good price for this monitor? Are there other better options?
Mar 5, 2007
360 posts
182 upvotes
hkmixx wrote: The main benefit IMO of 4k on a laptop is scaling -- at 200% scale you get an effective 1080p resolution with 4x the pixels. With 1440p, you probably don't want to scale, otherwise you either get an awkward 150% scaling or you scale 200% and end up with an effective 720p resolution.
Probably a dumb question, but why would you want to scale vs. just using a lower resolution?
4k seems especially silly on a laptop IMO, given the tiny size of the screen, couple with the hit to performance and battery life from pushing 4x the number of pixels vs FHD.
Last edited by jetenginejesus on Oct 22nd, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 3, 2012
563 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jetenginejesus wrote: Probably a dumb question, but why would you want to scale vs. just using a lower resolution?
4k seems especially silly on a laptop IMO, given the hit to performance and battery life pushing 4x the number of pixels vs FHD.
Yeah you'll probably lose 1-2 hours, but it's not as drastic as losing half of the battery life.

The difference with proper scaling is sharpness, i.e. the "retina" look if you go by Apple's terminology. Even though things are as big as they would be on a 1080p render, you have 4x the pixel information since 4 pixels make up each 1080p-equivalent "pixel". If you have computer games that offer render resolution scaling (i.e. run the game at resolution X but render at only a fraction of X), lowering resolution would be like running at 2160p but rendering at 50% of the effective resolution horizontally/vertically (1080p).
Mar 5, 2007
360 posts
182 upvotes
hkmixx wrote: Yeah you'll probably lose 1-2 hours, but it's not as drastic as losing half of the battery life.

The difference with proper scaling is sharpness, i.e. the "retina" look if you go by Apple's terminology. Even though things are as big as they would be on a 1080p render, you have 4x the pixel information since 4 pixels make up each 1080p-equivalent "pixel". If you have computer games that offer render resolution scaling (i.e. run the game at resolution X but render at only a fraction of X), lowering resolution would be like running at 2160p but rendering at 50% of the effective resolution horizontally/vertically (1080p).
For sure, I get that 4k is "sharper", but TBH on, like, a 14" or 15" screen, I've only noticed very marginal differences between "retina" screens and regular ol' FHD screens at my normal viewing distance of, what, 16"-18"?
I see the benefit of running a strict 2x scale, as opposed to some mid-range scale like 133.3% 1080 > 1440, but I guess I'm not getting why you'd buy something with a 4k screen only to run everything at 2x? Doesn't that negate the only real, clear benefit of 4k -- more usable space?
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
324 posts
786 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
hkmixx wrote: Yeah you'll probably lose 1-2 hours, but it's not as drastic as losing half of the battery life.

4k is pushing 4x the pixel as 1080p; you must be kidding when you say the battery life is only 1-2 hours less....Testers who uses games as bench marks are getting 1/2 the battery life on a 4k dell xps 15 as opposed to 1080.