Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell black Friday Sneak Peak

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2020 12:37 am
Dec 14, 2001
526 posts
206 upvotes
Axor88 wrote: Yeah, that power supply is weak. Time to shop around for another case, mobo, and ps.
I was thinking the same thing - unfortunately, after some research, the motherboard and PSU are proprietary and use a different set of pins from off the shelve MBs and PSUs. There was some talk in the Dell forums of a pin conversion cable to plug a new PSU into the MB but I couldn't see anyone who was successful - they were all concerned it would fry the MB. I'm just going to run it as is and be content that it isn't upgradable.
Apr 6, 2005
69 posts
Ottawa
BBucKK wrote: I was thinking the same thing - unfortunately, after some research, the motherboard and PSU are proprietary and use a different set of pins from off the shelve MBs and PSUs. There was some talk in the Dell forums of a pin conversion cable to plug a new PSU into the MB but I couldn't see anyone who was successful - they were all concerned it would fry the MB. I'm just going to run it as is and be content that it isn't upgradable.
Are you saying the CPU can't be pulled and used in another motherboard ?
Mar 6, 2019
206 posts
147 upvotes
Axor88 wrote: You said they did this before. Was it ever resolved ?
to be more clear, i tried to buy a black friday spec and it ended up being delayed over and over again. almost seemed like they didn't want to sell me the product and after a couple of months of no progress I had no choice but to cancel. what was discussed here dealt with an apparent price/product error not a door buster sale. kudos (?) to the small handful of ppl in Cda who appear to actually be getting their orders filled. while this xps might not be everyone's cup of tea, you won't get a better "deal" anywhere else anytime soon...that's my guess. for like 90% of the population this is way more computer than they would ever need anyway
Nov 20, 2019
13 posts
29 upvotes
I’m no tech guy so I won’t be upgrading or changing parts. The most I am capable of is opening the tower and air dusting it lmao. Hopefully the “quality checks” that delayed my PC from shipping on time meant they actually took the time and ensured the pc would work properly even with the crap power supply.. worst case scenario I just send it back.. can’t complain though, after discounts and complaining for the delay of shipping, I paid 1100 after tax for the pc. If anyone can shed insight on market prices for the parts, it would be greatly appreciated. I’ll link the specs below.
Images
  • 80845AD0-9CED-4A68-87C0-9C519A8C3220.jpeg
Dec 14, 2001
526 posts
206 upvotes
Axor88 wrote: Are you saying the CPU can't be pulled and used in another motherboard ?
Nope - you certainly can pull the CPU and everything else. For folks who are not technical and have never build a PC, only thing you likely can't reuse if upgrading is the motherboard and PSU. Just the parts minus the MB and PSU are likely worth it.
Dec 14, 2001
526 posts
206 upvotes
For those who want to do some minor upgrades in the form of heat / noise control (not sure if it will need it but looks like it will come with the inferior stock CPU fan). Check out this Dell thread. Fan was upgraded with a Noctua NH-9DL and back case fan:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desk ... -p/7690322
I plan on doing this myself so will advise when completed
Dec 14, 2001
526 posts
206 upvotes
Mine arrived yesterday as well - as I suspected - it does run a little hot - CPU 44 C resting and 88 C under load. GPU at 37 resting and 78 C under load. I added the Noctua NH-9DL CPU fan and back case fan and moved the back case fan that came with it to the front as an air intake - CPU at 31 C resting and 59 C under load. GPU at 32 resting and 75 C under load.
Apr 6, 2005
69 posts
Ottawa
BBucKK wrote: Mine arrived yesterday as well - as I suspected - it does run a little hot - CPU 44 C resting and 88 C under load. GPU at 37 resting and 78 C under load. I added the Noctua NH-9DL CPU fan and back case fan and moved the back case fan that came with it to the front as an air intake - CPU at 31 C resting and 59 C under load. GPU at 32 resting and 75 C under load.
Did you have to install a back plate for the Noctua NH-9DL ?
Apr 6, 2005
69 posts
Ottawa
I got mine today.

My idle temps don't seem too bad, but probably because I have it in my basement for now.
Images
  • temps.JPG
Dec 14, 2001
526 posts
206 upvotes
Axor88 wrote: Did you have to install a back plate for the Noctua NH-9DL ?
No back plate need - the fan came with mounting brackets that fit the holes already in the MB. Only extra thing you need is 4 m3x16 screws. Just follow the directions on page 5 of this dell thread: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desk ... 322/page/5
I updated the bios today and when first booting after the update it did lunch a cpu fan test page and it threw an error. I just hit continue and it booted fine. No issues on reboots - just that one time.
Apr 6, 2005
69 posts
Ottawa
BBucKK wrote: No back plate need - the fan came with mounting brackets that fit the holes already in the MB. Only extra thing you need is 4 m3x16 screws. Just follow the directions on page 5 of this dell thread: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desk ... 322/page/5
I updated the bios today and when first booting after the update it did lunch a cpu fan test page and it threw an error. I just hit continue and it booted fine. No issues on reboots - just that one time.

OK, where did you buy the fan from ? Amazon ?
Nov 20, 2019
13 posts
29 upvotes
The computer works fine no issues that I’ve come across so far. The same pc on dell right now is selling for 1500$ so I think I got super lucky. Thanks again OP and that one guy who commented to asked if this was a good deal. Also, I contacted customer service regarding the 50$ refund i was supposed to get for the long shipment time and such. They were unable to do so but offered a 50$ credit. I squeezed a 100$ coupon out of it. It’s valid until 2-28/2021. If anyone wants to buy it, I’m down to sell for like 80$ It’s just an online code you enter upon checkout. Dm if interested
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2003
1184 posts
1002 upvotes
Markham
BBucKK wrote: Mine arrived yesterday as well - as I suspected - it does run a little hot - CPU 44 C resting and 88 C under load. GPU at 37 resting and 78 C under load. I added the Noctua NH-9DL CPU fan and back case fan and moved the back case fan that came with it to the front as an air intake - CPU at 31 C resting and 59 C under load. GPU at 32 resting and 75 C under load.
Nice. I should have jumped on it (even though I had no use for it Face With Tears Of Joy). Out of curiosity, did you check the wattage on the PSU?

Bah weep granah weep nini bong
HEAT: Link!
May 22, 2018
188 posts
356 upvotes
Any reason to buy a monitor that is on Early Black Friday sale now? Or is it better to wait until actual Black Friday?
Dec 14, 2001
526 posts
206 upvotes
bk wrote: Nice. I should have jumped on it (even though I had no use for it Face With Tears Of Joy). Out of curiosity, did you check the wattage on the PSU?
The PSU is the 360w but seems to have enough juice.