Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell black Friday Sneak Peak

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2020 12:37 am
Dec 3, 2012
563 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jetenginejesus wrote: For sure, I get that 4k is "sharper", but TBH on, like, a 14" or 15" screen, I've only noticed very marginal differences between "retina" screens and regular ol' FHD screens at my normal viewing distance of, what, 16"-18"?
I see the benefit of running a strict 2x scale, as opposed to some mid-range scale like 133.3% 1080 > 1440, but I guess I'm not getting why you'd buy something with a 4k screen only to run everything at 2x? Doesn't that negate the only real, clear benefit of 4k -- more usable space?
I would disagree on the differences being marginal -- I used to own a 13" rMBP and have moved to a 15" 1080p laptop and the differences are very overt to me, particularly during productivity tasks like say writing code or using something like InDesign. When objects on the screen are nice and large it's less different, but when you're dealing with smaller text it's a big diff and images look much more crisp on HiDPI screens.

If the diff for you is not very big or you're not looking at primarily small-things-on-screen productivity tasks, then you probably don't need the 4K.
Patrickpete wrote: 4k is pushing 4x the pixel as 1080p; you must be kidding when you say the battery life is only 1-2 hours less....Testers who uses games as bench marks are getting 1/2 the battery life on a 4k dell xps 15 as opposed to 1080.
Yeah I double-checked and looks like you do lose more, it's something like 8 hours on the 4K vs. 12 on the 1080p for productivity. If you're gaming then yeah I'd expect more battery loss especially if you're rendering at 4K. Apologies for the confusion, I was basing my numbers off an older model I think.
Feb 4, 2019
312 posts
454 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: I'm glad a lot of people are getting something out of this. For myself personally, I got a monitor. I'm not going to wait 1 year+ for "deals" that might never come. These are some decent pricing for the current pandemic situation. If your idea of a deal is lowest price ever or lower, then good luck waiting.

Fyi- For anyone who makes a purchase, CALL In and threaten to cancel... Say you want to wait for a better deal and have decided to change your mind. They will offer you some credit. I got 20 back for the monitor. Ended up paying 315$ tax in for a 1440p 75hz 27inch ips monitor.
I actually was going to cancel the Dell XPS 13 I ordered as part of me wants to re-buy the Asus G14 and part of me wants to go Ultrabook (XPS 13 or the upcoming refreshed HP Spectre's) - and I can't decide so I figured I'd wait longer to see what Black Friday actually brings.

Anyway, they offered me a $130 refund towards the laptop that is applied after it ships. After thinking on it, I decided to take their offer. So $200 off sneak peak Black Friday sale, $50 off with promo code ($50off$1000pc), and $130 cancel credit. Still a pricy laptop but a beautiful piece of kit.
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
331 posts
804 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
AGTOM83 wrote: I actually was going to cancel the Dell XPS 13 I ordered as part of me wants to re-buy the Asus G14 and part of me wants to go Ultrabook (XPS 13 or the upcoming refreshed HP Spectre's) - and I can't decide so I figured I'd wait longer to see what Black Friday actually brings.

Anyway, they offered me a $130 refund towards the laptop that is applied after it ships. After thinking on it, I decided to take their offer. So $200 off sneak peak Black Friday sale, $50 off with promo code ($50off$1000pc), and $130 cancel credit. Still a pricy laptop but a beautiful piece of kit.
Congratz. I doubt price is going lower than what you got on the xps; beautiful 1920 x 1200 comp that just released recently. Do fill us in when it arrives. I'm curious in regards to the thermals.
May 3, 2019
21 posts
12 upvotes
azguy_ca wrote: I'm chatting with Dell to understand the power supply term "Power Up to 225W via 2x 6 pin power connectors (with 500W power supply)" but the person is checking with the tech experts. The online chat person said it was 500W? Hmmmm
Hi, do you get a response from them? I actually placed the order, and in the packing slip is said 360W Mineral White Bezel Chassis including optical drive. Why did it mention power supply in the chassis?
Aug 12, 2007
35 posts
10 upvotes
My apologies for not posting earlier. The online rep gave the following explanation...i guess it’s the 360w . Hope you enjoy the computer. I was too late as I hummed and hawed..

Power
Up to 225W via 2x 6 pin power connectors (with 500W power supply)

This is a power capacity of Power supply unit for the graphics card. It means that the desktop can support the graphics card up to 225 watts. Graphics cards will have their own power supply ranging from 75 watts to 225.

The XPS Desktop PSU options allow for better performance upgrades during the life of your system. The 360W PSU supports a 65W processor plus up to 150W graphics. Even more, the optional 500W PSU supports up to 95W K-Series CPUs and 225W graphics
Oct 22, 2020
1 posts
Hi Everyone,

Do Dell's offer actually improve as Black Friday approaches. Currently, the Sneak Peak deals are okay, not sure if worth the plunge.
Dec 14, 2001
522 posts
206 upvotes
azguy_ca wrote: My apologies for not posting earlier. The online rep gave the following explanation...i guess it’s the 360w . Hope you enjoy the computer. I was too late as I hummed and hawed..

Power

This is a power capacity of Power supply unit for the graphics card. It means that the desktop can support the graphics card up to 225 watts. Graphics cards will have their own power supply ranging from 75 watts to 225.

The XPS Desktop PSU options allow for better performance upgrades during the life of your system. The 360W PSU supports a 65W processor plus up to 150W graphics. Even more, the optional 500W PSU supports up to 95W K-Series CPUs and 225W graphics
Keep in mind - this system at $999 appeared to have been a price error - same system now is $1399 (XPS Special Edition). I assume the 360W PSU will be fine but you likely won't be able to upgrade the GPU in the future.
Feb 16, 2019
50 posts
93 upvotes
justasomeone wrote: How does it feel playing on the 60hz screen again after being used to the 144hz monitor?

Can you ever go back?
For me, it would come down to the question of: what are you mainly using the monitor for?

If it's gaming and watching videos, I'd want the higher refresh rate (>100Hz)
If it's working with excel and reading articles, I'd look at a higher resolution (4k)
If it's a bit of both, look at something in between (1440p, 144Hz)

I definitely notice (and enjoy) the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz, but I am not a gaming snob and would also enjoy a 4K 60Hz monitor. But keep in mind, you need a decent graphics card to be able to handle 4K at higher FPS.

I was originally wanting a 4K display because it makes text such a wonderful experience to read, but I decided that 1440p was the best happy medium. Largely due to my good friend Linus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvz3iN8pp4

From what deals we've seen this fall on monitors, I'm excited to see what happens on Black Friday. Hopefully the Dell deals get better when we actually get to the of November.
COME ON S2721!
Mar 6, 2019
197 posts
119 upvotes
BBucKK wrote: Keep in mind - this system at $999 appeared to have been a price error - same system now is $1399 (XPS Special Edition). I assume the 360W PSU will be fine but you likely won't be able to upgrade the GPU in the future.
will say one more time...was probably the best "deal" you will see for some time

i bet you'll be able to upgrade to 500W PSU (and therefore the GPU) at some point but dell's pricing for proprietary replacement parts is crazy and would certainly take a massive chunk out of what you initially saved.
Last edited by Novawest2019 on Oct 27th, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 20, 2012
305 posts
181 upvotes
OTTAWA
Need some help as my 10 year old machine that I've been using mostly as a HTPC has died. Not looking to spend much, but also want something that I can upgrade in the future once my kids start gaming.
I have a new samsung 860 SSD that I was thinking about putting into the new machine.

Which one of these two machines for $799 would folks recommend:
- G5 Gaming Machine
- XPS Desktop

Also, 10% off code by signing up with Dell + GCR 2.5% brings them down to ~$700+ tax:
http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-749547-121 ... &sid=rfdcb

Thanks
Dec 14, 2001
522 posts
206 upvotes
cruban wrote: Need some help as my 10 year old machine that I've been using mostly as a HTPC has died. Not looking to spend much, but also want something that I can upgrade in the future once my kids start gaming.
I have a new samsung 860 SSD that I was thinking about putting into the new machine.

Which one of these two machines for $799 would folks recommend:
- G5 Gaming Machine
- XPS Desktop

Also, 10% off code by signing up with Dell + GCR 2.5% brings them down to ~$700+ tax:
http://www.tkqlhce.com/click-749547-121 ... &sid=rfdcb

Thanks
Be careful with Dell machines if you want to upgrade in the future - see the posts above about the XPS systems which have proprietary motherboards and PSUs. It can really limit future upgradability.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16897 posts
1742 upvotes
Thornhill
Punnyabrata wrote: Dell 34 UltraSharp Curved USB-C IPS Monitor - $929.99 (regularly $1320.59) - is this a good price for this monitor? Are there other better options?
I hear that the Dells are great quality but I have a hard time shelling out that much for a monitor. I’ve also been looking at one from Gigabyte.
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16897 posts
1742 upvotes
Thornhill
jeeshan2000 wrote: Hi Everyone,

Do Dell's offer actually improve as Black Friday approaches. Currently, the Sneak Peak deals are okay, not sure if worth the plunge.
+1 same question... or do they put more items on sale?
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
May 3, 2019
21 posts
12 upvotes
azguy_ca wrote: My apologies for not posting earlier. The online rep gave the following explanation...i guess it’s the 360w . Hope you enjoy the computer. I was too late as I hummed and hawed..

Power

Thanks. It would be fine for me as long as the power can support current configurations. I would not upgrade the GPU or CPU in the future. Normally, I will use a pc for 5-8 years and replace it. I was worried they would give the wrong power supply as there was a price error.
May 19, 2017
272 posts
290 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: With 1/2 or 1/3 of the original battery life? That is what I honestly never really understood about getting 4k on a laptop. Lose all the benefits of real estate in exchange for worse battery life and sharper text?
I have a 4k oled laptop. Of course yes a 4k screen let alone an OLED one sucks power and I have it set to 200% as well for windows. But videos at 4k arent being scaled by windows so I get 4k netflix and youtube on a 4k screen which is the point. The GPU is strong enough for 1080p gaming so I get a nice 1080p experience that is flawlessly scaled on a 4k screen that is O L E D.