Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell black Friday Sneak Peak

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2020 12:37 am
Newbie
Feb 16, 2019
51 posts
93 upvotes
TheFrostOne wrote: With the 24" monitors (there's a couple), would there be any benefit in getting one with higher hz or lag if I'm just using it for office work + movies?
PMM9 wrote: I want to upgrade from a 23" monitor to a 27" primarily for work and some occasional photo editing. Dell has some 27" IPS monitors for under $200 at 1080p. Is it worth spending double for a 4K monitor? I don't want to go bigger but compromise picture quality with lower pixel density. In other words, I don't want to have to sit further from the 27" monitor since that would defeat the purpose of upgrading.
I just upgraded from a 23" 1080p 60Hz to a 27" 1440p 144Hz (Dell SR2716DGR from Kijiji)

and I have LOVED the upgrade.

- The increased refresh rate has been significantly noticeable even with scrolling through websites and tracking your mouse.
Gaming is much smoother, even when I needed to scale down the resolution to 1080p.
- The pixel density from the 23" 1080p to the 27" 1440p increased slightly (95 pixels per inch vs 108 pixels per inch) and this gives a much easier screen to look at.
I was seriously thinking about a 4K screen, but decided to get a higher refresh rate.
With my 1440p, I haven't needed to adjust my desk at all (if anything I sit closer to it now unintentionally)

I'd highly recommend both a higher refresh rate, and a higher resolution. And then ... I'd recommend a video card upgrade lol


Getting a 4k 144hz is close to $1000 ... so you may need to pick what is more important to you if you want both on a budget.

Of note: my panel isn't an IPS, but with the help of Reddit, you can tweak your graphics settings to make the colours look great
Last edited by FlyDud on Oct 20th, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Sep 10, 2012
673 posts
421 upvotes
Saskatoon
pyr0sphere wrote: So assuming the PSU of the desktop is 360W and non replaceable, what does that mean? The system won't be able to do gaming at all?
No, you can game as it has a 1660ti which is considered a decent mid range card, BUT don't expect to upgrade the video card. The 1660ti will be fine for most titles at 1080p and at least mid range in game quality settings.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1281 posts
312 upvotes
As I suspected, it was a pricing error on the $999.99 XPS i7-10700 deal. If you add to cart, it's now $1449.99.

The 360w PSU is what stopped me from getting this last night, but who knows if they would have honoured the priced anyways.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
1859 posts
389 upvotes
Lévis
FlyDud wrote: I just upgraded from a 23" 1080p 60Hz to a 27" 1440p 144Hz (Dell SR2716DGR from Kijiji)

and I have LOVED the upgrade.

- The increased refresh rate has been significantly noticeable even with scrolling through websites and tracking your mouse.
Gaming is much smoother, even when I needed to scale down the resolution to 1080p.
- The pixel density from the 23" 1080p to the 27" 1440p increased slightly (95 pixels per inch vs 108 pixels per inch) and this gives a much easier screen to look at.
I was seriously thinking about a 4K screen, but decided to get a higher refresh rate.
With my 1440p, I haven't needed to adjust my desk at all (if anything I sit closer to it now unintentionally)

I'd highly recommend both a higher refresh rate, and a higher resolution. And then ... I'd recommend a video card upgrade lol


Getting a 4k 144hz is close to $1000 ... so you may need to pick what is more important to you if you want both on a budget.

Of note: my panel isn't an IPS, but with the help of Reddit, you can tweak your graphics settings to make the colours look great
You did well to stick with a 1440p 27". This is also what I have (AOC Agon) and when I'll go to 4k (if ever) it will be on a 32" or whatever. Reason is 4k on a 27" = small text. And these days I don't game much...

That being said, computers are expansive these days. I'm looking to replace my almost 4 years old xps for one with a similar price (1900$+tx) and I'll get something barely better...
Last edited by SPARTACVS on Oct 20th, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1077 posts
122 upvotes
Should people just skip 1440p and go straight to 4K now? I feel like 1440p is like 720p now.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2567 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
engmsf wrote: Should people just skip 1440p and go straight to 4K now? I feel like 1440p is like 720p now.
It's like anything else it depends on your use.

If you want to primarily game then its 1440p + 144hz / high refresh rate.

If you want productivity/normal usage then get a 4k panel + 60hz refresh rate.

Also if you use a Mac I've read that it doesn't scale nicely to 1440p displays, so that's another potential issue. Personally I'd rather use a 4k screen at 200% zoom for super crisp pixels, vs a 1440p screen, but I don't play games on mine so the high refresh rate is not a deciding factor.
Member
Nov 15, 2016
302 posts
109 upvotes
QC
stillmatic11 wrote: As I suspected, it was a pricing error on the $999.99 XPS i7-10700 deal. If you add to cart, it's now $1449.99.

The 360w PSU is what stopped me from getting this last night, but who knows if they would have honoured the priced anyways.
no joke i ordered last night and tried to cancel this morning and the rep offered me an extra 45$ off
Super glad he convinced me to stay with my purchase by giving me an extra discount
Newbie
Oct 19, 2020
7 posts
11 upvotes
thanks for sharing. what does everyone think of the inspiron for 880? good for daily stuff like videos and emails etc?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 23, 2010
195 posts
52 upvotes
stillmatic11 wrote: As I suspected, it was a pricing error on the $999.99 XPS i7-10700 deal. If you add to cart, it's now $1449.99.

The 360w PSU is what stopped me from getting this last night, but who knows if they would have honoured the priced anyways.
Looks like the price is now $1,599 and they've updated the picture to the white tower even. But the ambiguous PSU details remain
Member
Sep 10, 2017
256 posts
180 upvotes
Re: the XPS 13, is there now way to configure the sale model with increased RAM, we're limited to the 8GB option? That's a dealbreaker for me.
Sr. Member
Dec 14, 2001
522 posts
206 upvotes
pyr0sphere wrote: Looks like the price is now $1,599 and they've updated the picture to the white tower even. But the ambiguous PSU details remain
As noted earlier - you can build a 360W system of the same specs on the US Dell site and it gives you the option between the 360W and 500W (extra $50) PSU so... it looks like 360W is a legit option and not just an error - even with the 1660 and i7. It will likely ship with the 360. Hope it actually works but any GPU upgrade out of the question.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2279 posts
961 upvotes
Montreal, QC
blckmntn wrote: Re: the XPS 13, is there now way to configure the sale model with increased RAM, we're limited to the 8GB option? That's a dealbreaker for me.
advertised sale model usually can't be configured. you can configure other models that may be discounted but isn't advertised
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 18, 2010
564 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
FlyDud wrote: I just upgraded from a 23" 1080p 60Hz to a 27" 1440p 144Hz (Dell SR2716DGR from Kijiji)

and I have LOVED the upgrade.

- The increased refresh rate has been significantly noticeable even with scrolling through websites and tracking your mouse.
Gaming is much smoother, even when I needed to scale down the resolution to 1080p.
- The pixel density from the 23" 1080p to the 27" 1440p increased slightly (95 pixels per inch vs 108 pixels per inch) and this gives a much easier screen to look at.
I was seriously thinking about a 4K screen, but decided to get a higher refresh rate.
With my 1440p, I haven't needed to adjust my desk at all (if anything I sit closer to it now unintentionally)

I'd highly recommend both a higher refresh rate, and a higher resolution. And then ... I'd recommend a video card upgrade lol


Getting a 4k 144hz is close to $1000 ... so you may need to pick what is more important to you if you want both on a budget.

Of note: my panel isn't an IPS, but with the help of Reddit, you can tweak your graphics settings to make the colours look great
How does it feel playing on the 60hz screen again after being used to the 144hz monitor?

Can you ever go back?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 23, 2010
195 posts
52 upvotes
BBucKK wrote: As noted earlier - you can build a 360W system of the same specs on the US Dell site and it gives you the option between the 360W and 500W (extra $50) PSU so... it looks like 360W is a legit option and not just an error - even with the 1660 and i7. It will likely ship with the 360. Hope it actually works but any GPU upgrade out of the question.
Haha they're being sneaky. I was the first to inquire about this model in the thread. My old link is still there as a reply on the first page. Now it links to a lesser $999 system

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)