Dell Boxing Week Door Busters now in effect

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2020 12:34 pm
Jun 4, 2008
21 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, for sure.

While it's not the exact same model, you can see a review here using a G3 with the i5-9300H ("Coffee Lake"), instead of the i5-10300H ("Comet Lake"). The GPU is still the GTX 1650.

For reference, he tested CS: GO, Doom (2016), GTA:V, Kingdom Come and PUBG, so even AAA games aren't out of the question. Solid buy IMO.
bclark wrote: Good point, the Asus that was linked above is the older 1650 with GDDR5 memory whereas the Dell G3 I linked has the newer GDDR6 version (not that there's much of a difference between the two, just something to note when making a decision to purchase).

These laptops should be fine for most games for 1080p. I only ever play DotA every now and then so I should be good to go. I imagine the same goes for LoL
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2005
1306 posts
33 upvotes
siimee wrote: Yep, for sure.

While it's not the exact same model, you can see a review here using a G3 with the i5-9300H ("Coffee Lake"), instead of the i5-10300H ("Comet Lake"). The GPU is still the GTX 1650.

For reference, he tested CS: GO, Doom (2016), GTA:V, Kingdom Come and PUBG, so even AAA games aren't out of the question. Solid buy IMO.
Thanks for sharing this video. It really puts into perspective what you're getting from the Dell G3. I can't say for certain but I imagine that specific version of the G3 in the video with the i5-9300H will also come with the GDDR5 version of the 1650. This means you may see a moderate performance increase with the i5 10300H and a GDDR6 version of the 1650.

I'm keeping my eye on the following laptop on Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... x/14715756

If I comes back in stock I may grab one and return and/or sell my G3 when it's delivered. I'm still trying to decide if the extra CPU cores, faster screen, more memory, larger ssd drive and GPU processing power are worth an extra ~$400 to me.
Jul 5, 2018
347 posts
1478 upvotes
Pepsidewd wrote: My daughter plays League of Legend and wants to buy a laptop between 700$-1000$. She was looking at the Asus TUF on sale for 750$ at BB , how does it compare to some of the Dells ? Price/performance value? Any suggestions?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/as ... 0/14679322
Didn't see this until now. But frankly League of Legends is almost nothing when it comes to graphic cards. A 1650 would be frankly overkill for this purpose. Even if you were running it on a 4k display it would probably be fine and close to max details (which is higher than most laptops in this range offer).
There is one major issue with this Asus though. It has a traditional HDD. So you'd probably want to swap it out for an SSD and do a fresh OS install on that. The HDD would really hold it back. If you don't want to go through that effort then go for something with an SSD. Obviously other newer higher resource requiring games might struggle more with a 1650 but League isn't really one of them.
Shaner wrote: Thinking of getting the Inspiron with the Celeron 4205U and 4 GB of RAM. I would add another 4 GB of RAM. I don't game or edit videos. I just browse the internet mostly, but I absolutely cannot stand when my computer bogs down on me. I cannot stand having a slow laptop, which is what I have right now.

For $350 it seemed like a good price for what I need but also not sure what extra RAM would cost nor am I familiar with that CPU.

Thoughts?
Celeron are almost never a good idea in a Windows based PC.
Only time I'd reccomend a Celeron with 4gb of ram is if it was possibly a Chromebook. Chromebooks have a lot less bloat. Also less functionality obviously to. But that means it can be perfectly passable for most who aren't demanding a lot of it.

You're better off spending a bit more and getting something with a newer gen i5 or Ryzen, at least 8gb of ram and an SSD of some type.

Cheapest thing I'd consider touching on their website is something like this ($530 before any additional discounts or tax or shipping)
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-la ... sb_h258lce