Expired Hot Deals

Dell

Dell G5 15 laptop Ryzen 5 4600h RX 5600M $1000

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 10:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto

[Dell] Dell G5 15 laptop Ryzen 5 4600h RX 5600M $1000

This seems like an excellent gaming laptop based on youtube reviews.

You can even use the Dell 10% sign up bonus to reduce this price down to $900 too.

Btw, does anyone know if its possible to:
1. Connect 2 monitor via HDMI to 1 usb c adapter
2. Connect the usb c to this monitor?

I am not too familiar with new tech.

10% discount: Can anyone tell me why the discount is only $100? Also, why does it not apply to the monitors?
Images
  • Discount Redflagdeals.JPG
Last edited by blitzforce on May 8th, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best gaming laptops!
190 replies
Sr. Member
Aug 13, 2019
536 posts
816 upvotes
Had this laptop, you need to do some tinkering to it (disable windows updates, use old drivers, recommended cooling pad, update thermal paste etc..). If that's a non issue it's fantastic bang for the buck. If you can wait get rakuten on this, I managed to grab it for pretty much the same price with the 10% sign up but also 12% rakuten (came to about 850 after tax) . With all the new models out the price isn't going to change much either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
Ausmack wrote: Had this laptop, you need to do some tinkering to it (disable windows updates, use old drivers, recommended cooling pad, update thermal paste etc..). If that's a non issue it's fantastic bang for the buck. If you can wait get rakuten on this, I managed to grab it for pretty much the same price with the 10% sign up but also 12% rakuten (came to about 850 after tax) . With all the new models out the price isn't going to change much either.
My question is why does the 10% not apply to the monitors? I am new to Rakuten, and have been waiting for an entire month but Dell is still only 2%.

Btw, if I don't upgrade the thermal paste, does this mean the laptop is completely useless? Would you recommend the 1660 ti version instead since it seems to be a bit cooler in youtube videos.
Last edited by blitzforce on May 8th, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Nov 11, 2006
865 posts
1002 upvotes
@home
mining profitability?
Sr. Member
Aug 13, 2019
536 posts
816 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: My question is why does the 10% not apply to the monitors? I am new to Rakuten, and have been waiting for an entire month but Dell is still only 2%.
No idea about the monitors, from what I've heard wait for holidays
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1262 posts
5357 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: My question is why does the 10% not apply to the monitors? I am new to Rakuten, and have been waiting for an entire month but Dell is still only 2%.
The 10% off is offered by Dell. It has nothing to do with Rakuten.

The coupon code can only apply to one of the devices in one order. You need to use two different codes.

For monitor, there is anther generic code 10%OFFMONITOR to provide 10% off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
qfli78 wrote: The 10% off is offered by Dell. It has nothing to do with Rakuten.

The coupon code can only apply to one of the devices in one order. You need to use two different codes.

For monitor, there is anther generic code 10%OFFMONITOR to provide 10% off.
Thank you very much. I just found out that the generic monitor code also only applies to one monitor instead of two.

Btw, can the monitor discount code be reused? I was thinking of purchasing the two monitors separately.
Last edited by blitzforce on May 8th, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
Ausmack wrote: No idea about the monitors, from what I've heard wait for holidays
I guess I will wait until tomorrow since tomorrow is mothers day.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
1226 posts
1054 upvotes
Moncton
I'm surprised that the USB-C port appears to be display port. Most laptops at this price point seem to have USB-C that's limited to just high speed USB functionality.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
sswilson wrote: I'm surprised that the USB-C port appears to be display port. Most laptops at this price point seem to have USB-C that's limited to just high speed USB functionality.
This is why this is seems like a decent laptop since it offers a display port.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
1226 posts
1054 upvotes
Moncton
blitzforce wrote: This is why this is seems like a decent laptop since it offers a display port.
More importantly (IMO), it's not that it offers Display Port, it's that it appears to offer both Display Port and HDMI. That's a function that most lower/mid-range laptops lack unless you're using thunderbolt and/or some form of integrated dock.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Jr. Member
Sep 27, 2002
155 posts
73 upvotes
Winnipeg
blitzforce wrote: This seems like an excellent gaming laptop based on youtube reviews.

You can even use the Dell 10% sign up bonus to reduce this price down to $900 too.

Btw, does anyone know if its possible to:
1. Connect 2 monitor via HDMI to 1 usb c adapter
2. Connect the usb c to this monitor?

I am not too familiar with new tech.

10% discount: Can anyone tell me why the discount is only $100? Also, why does it not apply to the monitors?
Blitzforce,

There is a DisplayPort right next to the HDMI port.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en ... d75787517a
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
sswilson wrote: More importantly (IMO), it's not that it offers Display Port, it's that it appears to offer both Display Port and HDMI. That's a function that most lower/mid-range laptops lack unless you're using thunderbolt and/or some form of integrated dock.
What do you mean both? Do other lower end laptops only offer either HDMI or displayport? I thought the other laptops only have HDMI.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
halide wrote: Blitzforce,

There is a DisplayPort right next to the HDMI port.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en ... d75787517a
What I meant was that I wanted to connect two monitors to one single usb c hub (2 hdmi to 1 usb c adapter) and connect that usb c hub directly to the laptop's usb c.

https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Converter ... 160&sr=8-5
Newbie
Apr 17, 2020
62 posts
81 upvotes
I actually have the R7 version with 16GB ,1TB SSD and 144Hz screen since last July.

Apparently, the R5 version is even faster in gaming. So $1000 is a good deal if you do not mind the inferior screen. Upgrading RAM sounds easy, and it is. However, you will need to 1) wasting the current 2x4 pair; 2) more critically, you need to make sure you find the right match. Remember, it is a Ryzen. It is picky on RAM.

It would get very hot during gaming before the BIOS upgrade. The thermal management is now better.

The 144Hz screen is nice (check reviews), and the keyboard/trackpad combos are actually quite good. Dell throws in a fast TLC SSD too: SK Hynix PC611. The same cannot be said for every brand. I know Asus often gives you more entry-level stuffs.

I know there are lots of not-so-positive reviews on YouTube. After 10 months of ownership with gaming and video editing, I say I would give credit where credit is due. There are faster 4800h gaming laptops fps wise, but G5 SE does hold its own quite well. There are signs of cost saving, but there is really no big deals. It is one of the best bang for the buck around. The other choices are GTX1650 varieties. Never mind the RX5500m offering from MSI. it is far inferior in gaming performance.

My biggest peeve is actually its look. The more I look at it, the more it looks like my old Inspiron back in 2006... :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2645 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
Umrmp3 wrote:
It would get very hot during gaming before the BIOS upgrade. The thermal management is now better.
Thanks for the review. Btw, can you upgrade BIOS just by downloading some sort of software online? Also a previous comment stated that I need to re-do the thermal paste. Do you think this is mandatory? I am not very tech savy and would rather not touch the internals.

Top