Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell G5 Desktop i7-9700K, GTX 1660 Ti $1300

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2020 12:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jul 4, 2020
32 posts
35 upvotes

[Dell] Dell G5 Desktop i7-9700K, GTX 1660 Ti $1300

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700K (8-Core/8-Thread, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6GHz on all cores)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
8GB DDR4 at 2666MHz

Combined with Unidays 10% off and eBates 8% cash back, would bring it down to $1076 before including taxes.

I would likely want to increase the RAM and upgrade the SSD (another $300).

Similar to this post but with better CPU and worse GPU.
Last edited by kk33tm on Jul 13th, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Newbie
Nov 24, 2016
42 posts
79 upvotes
It is a fair price. Not bad. But OP, please update your title, 9700K is i7, not i5
Last edited by Jayz911 on Jul 13th, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Nov 4, 2009
237 posts
151 upvotes
Calgary
Seems like a reasonable price for the parts. Here's a similar pcparpicker build I whipped up.

I personally think It would make a lot more sense to get a better value cpu, 8c/8th cpu seems a little outdated especially at the price it sits at. I mean the 3600 from AMD seems like a much better value but even from intel getting the new i5 6c/12th seems like a more sensible idea.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 1, 2017
192 posts
264 upvotes
Thunder Bay
chaosthebomb wrote: Seems like a reasonable price for the parts. Here's a similar pcparpicker build I whipped up.

I personally think It would make a lot more sense to get a better value cpu, 8c/8th cpu seems a little outdated especially at the price it sits at. I mean the 3600 from AMD seems like a much better value but even from intel getting the new i5 6c/12th seems like a more sensible idea.
The upgradability of these G5’s is also terrible IIRC. They use Dell server PSU’s, weird motherboards, etc. And I can’t imagine that Dell card is anything decent. Usually they’re just crappy blowers.

Not bad at all if you just want to buy a machine right now and have it work and be able to get Dell’s support, though the 8gb of ram with a 9700k combo is a bit weird.
Inflammable means flammable? What a country.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 4, 2020
32 posts
35 upvotes
chaosthebomb wrote: Seems like a reasonable price for the parts. Here's a similar pcparpicker build I whipped up.

I personally think It would make a lot more sense to get a better value cpu, 8c/8th cpu seems a little outdated especially at the price it sits at. I mean the 3600 from AMD seems like a much better value but even from intel getting the new i5 6c/12th seems like a more sensible idea.
Cost is a big factor for me so I wouldn't want to pay a premium for the 10th Gen Intel. I prefer to get the previous generation as they are being cleared out. I'm currently using an old CPU with 4C/4T so this will be a big improvement.

I personally had an extra Dell coupon soon to expire which is why I pulled the trigger on this. My all in after tax price is around $970. I don't think I can beat that value anywhere else, definitely can't build my own for that cheap.

I'd happily take an AMD CPU instead, but again I don't see that being a cheaper route (no good options from Dell, and building my own more expensive).

I wish this G5 came with 16GB RAM. I saw that on Dell's website last week but eBates was only 2% at the time.
Member
Nov 4, 2009
237 posts
151 upvotes
Calgary
kk33tm wrote: Cost is a big factor for me so I wouldn't want to pay a premium for the 10th Gen Intel. I prefer to get the previous generation as they are being cleared out. I'm currently using an old CPU with 4C/4T so this will be a big improvement.

I personally had an extra Dell coupon soon to expire which is why I pulled the trigger on this. My all in after tax price is around $970. I don't think I can beat that value anywhere else, definitely can't build my own for that cheap.

I'd happily take an AMD CPU instead, but again I don't see that being a cheaper route (no good options from Dell, and building my own more expensive).

I wish this G5 came with 16GB RAM. I saw that on Dell's website last week but eBates was only 2% at the time.
What do you mean premium for 10th gen? the i5 10600k retails for $400 where the i7 9700k retails for $500. It's cheaper to get a better part...

This PC however for $970 is a much better price, and I don't think you could put together a system to compete price wise.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 4, 2020
32 posts
35 upvotes
zobblplatz wrote: The upgradability of these G5’s is also terrible IIRC. They use Dell server PSU’s, weird motherboards, etc. And I can’t imagine that Dell card is anything decent. Usually they’re just crappy blowers.

Not bad at all if you just want to buy a machine right now and have it work and be able to get Dell’s support, though the 8gb of ram with a 9700k combo is a bit weird.
In the past I've found that I never really upgrade my desktops. By the time you upgrade the MOBO, CPU and RAM, you'd might as well just build or buy a whole new desktop. HDs will probably be substantially better in 5 years too.

Instead, they pile up. I will now have 4 old desktops sitting here rarely if ever being used. But if I need an old tape drive or floppy or such, I can boot one of them up. :-)
[OP]
Banned
Jul 4, 2020
32 posts
35 upvotes
chaosthebomb wrote: What do you mean premium for 10th gen? the i5 10600k retails for $400 where the i7 9700k retails for $500. It's cheaper to get a better part...

This PC however for $970 is a much better price, and I don't think you could put together a system to compete price wise.
I mean the Dell G5s with 10th Gen Intel i7 are about $600 more so there's definitely a premium on those. These current ones are being cleared out which is why they are seeing these discounts.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 1, 2017
192 posts
264 upvotes
Thunder Bay
kk33tm wrote: In the past I've found that I never really upgrade my desktops. By the time you upgrade the MOBO, CPU and RAM, you'd might as well just build or buy a whole new desktop. HDs will probably be substantially better in 5 years too.

Instead, they pile up. I will now have 4 old desktops sitting here rarely if ever being used. But if I need an old tape drive or floppy or such, I can boot one of them up. :-)
You’re certainly more the exception than the rule. I’ve upgraded many desktops, as have many people. Especially since processors have largely not advanced much in the past years.
Inflammable means flammable? What a country.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 13, 2015
1476 posts
1224 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
zobblplatz wrote: You’re certainly more the exception than the rule. I’ve upgraded many desktops, as have many people. Especially since processors have largely not advanced much in the past years.
Can comfirm, built a top spec pc in early 2014, and did only basic minor upgrades over the years (more ram, better ssd) and the pc is still working blazing fast. Might upgrade gfx card soon. I don't think i will be needing a new pc until 2024
😎Thanks RFD😎
Newbie
May 1, 2017
12 posts
6 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote: Can comfirm, built a top spec pc in early 2014, and did only basic minor upgrades over the years (more ram, better ssd) and the pc is still working blazing fast. Might upgrade gfx card soon. I don't think i will be needing a new pc until 2024
I did the same, built a pc in early 2014, have an i7 4770k +2x gtx780. Over the years All I’ve done as add some more ram, and extra hdds for storage.

At this point though, if I were to do anything I would build an entire system. I don’t see why I would upgrade this one, as most of the parts are outdated.

Say I f I were to upgrade, I would do:
  • at least gpu and cpu, which means mobo as well.
  • The ram is ddr3, so I would not be reusing them either.
  • new m.2 ssd, my current is SATA
  • PSU because this one is approaching 7 years and PSU is too important to overlook.


At this point, it’s pretty much the entire pc. I’ve gotten bored looking at the same case for 7 years so probably new case as well.

I could certainly keep using some of the hard drives for storage.

But you see what I’m getting at, it’s a full build at this point.
Member
Apr 21, 2017
217 posts
104 upvotes
Chelsea
I’ve talked with friends/Reddit/looked around the web. The consensus seems to be that these PC are in no way durable, as Dell (Alienware) use extremely cheap alternative for components...

I’d personally rather pay more to build something myself that’ll last, but to each their own..
[OP]
Banned
Jul 4, 2020
32 posts
35 upvotes
gptt916 wrote: I did the same, built a pc in early 2014, have an i7 4770k +2x gtx780. Over the years All I’ve done as add some more ram, and extra hdds for storage.

At this point though, if I were to do anything I would build an entire system. I don’t see why I would upgrade this one, as most of the parts are outdated.

Say I f I were to upgrade, I would do:
  • at least gpu and cpu, which means mobo as well.
  • The ram is ddr3, so I would not be reusing them either.
  • new m.2 ssd, my current is SATA
  • PSU because this one is approaching 7 years and PSU is too important to overlook.


At this point, it’s pretty much the entire pc. I’ve gotten bored looking at the same case for 7 years so probably new case as well.

I could certainly keep using some of the hard drives for storage.

But you see what I’m getting at, it’s a full build at this point.
Exactly same position I'm in. No updates for 6 years now ready for a new PC. Upgradeability is overrated unless you're a person who needs the latest and greatest and will pay a premium for it. I'll add a 1TB ssd and 32TB RAM to the G5 and that will be it for the next 6 years. After that ready for another new PC.
Member
Dec 21, 2012
393 posts
324 upvotes
Winnipeg
SimonL556 wrote: I’ve talked with friends/Reddit/looked around the web. The consensus seems to be that these PC are in no way durable, as Dell (Alienware) use extremely cheap alternative for components...

I’d personally rather pay more to build something myself that’ll last, but to each their own..
Not my experience at all. I've had a Dell xps8300 since early 2011 and the only upgrade I did was a new video card for gaming. Just purchased a new Dell Xps8930 and gave the xps8300 to my son, still running fine and going on 9 years now. The worst desktop I ever had was an Acer which died just after warranty.
Sr. Member
Apr 21, 2012
986 posts
211 upvotes
Markham
I once was able to configure the XPS 8930 Tower Special Edition with the following specs for $1,599. It was sometime last month.

i7-9700k
RTX 2060
16 GB RAM
512 GB NVME SSD

I almost pulled the trigger on that one if wasn't for my tight Wallet.

Top