Dell

Dell Gaming desktop RTX 3070 $1747.08 + HST

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 2:40 pm
May 23, 2009
859 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
morpheus_1987 wrote: It's a decent deal. Here's a mediocre list of parts rather than higher end models of cases/PSUs and mobos and you're already at the Dell price after Rakuten. Factor in OS and kb/mouse and its pretty bang on.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6wxyHz
Here's a better (imo) but very similar and slightly cheaper option. I'd argue that the stock wraith prism cooler is more than enough for most people and I believe the PSU on the dell g5 is proprietary, meaning no upgrade options.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/t2LV2V
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
1000 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
ProtossCraft wrote: Here's a better (imo) but very similar and slightly cheaper option. I'd argue that the stock wraith prism cooler is more than enough for most people and I believe the PSU on the dell g5 is proprietary, meaning no upgrade options.

You're missing the point. I kept as close to the parts in the build as I could just to illustrate what the bill of parts would cost if you were to source similar parts otherwise I would have slapped the appropriate 8GBx2 RAM too for proper dual channel support Your AMD equivalent build runs into the same problem as I stated with the lack of availability of AMD parts. Even 3xxx series CPUs are somewhat scarce while 5xxx are almost non-existent. Plus once you throw on a legitimate OS, you're pretty much at the posted price of the pre-built so the pre-built is a luke-warm deal at least while saving your the labor. I do restrain from calling it hot as there have been other pre-builts posted where the bill of parts would exceed the pre-built's cost.
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User
Mar 19, 2009
91 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
I bought this during black friday, with a 15% off employee discount code and went through the same analysis. You cant find anything similarly specd for less than $2200, never mind the parts availability. For this desktop though, it doesn't have adequate cooling so i moved the back stock fan to the front, added another back fan and replaced the cpu cooler with a coolermaster for about $100 all together. You need to also tinker with the fan curves a bit as it gets hot when intel turbo boost is activated. After making the changes, the cpu is around 55C and gpu is around 68C under full 1440p gaming.
Banned
Dec 20, 2020
82 posts
58 upvotes
If you want to 4K game now and can get an RTX 3080 in a build and can afford it shell out for it. Prices on these video cards will be high with COVID 19 or no COVID 19 / shortages or no shortages. Same can be said for other new series cards from Nvidia and AMD. Only place any of these cards are ever reasonable is in the US and even at times their pricing makes no sense.
Deal me in.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
2135 posts
944 upvotes
Does anyone know which 3070 it comes with?
Banned
Dec 20, 2020
82 posts
58 upvotes
ProtossCraft wrote: Here's a better (imo) but very similar and slightly cheaper option. I'd argue that the stock wraith prism cooler is more than enough for most people and I believe the PSU on the dell g5 is proprietary, meaning no upgrade options.

Good luck getting that RTX 3070 anytime soon. Hard to get all these new cards outside of a prebuilt.
Deal me in.
Banned
Dec 20, 2020
82 posts
58 upvotes
froesesp wrote: Does anyone know which 3070 it comes with?
It hardly matters. They all basically perform at the same level. Also with a prebuilt I wouldn't be looking at overlocking and heck overclocking doesn't do much these days.
Deal me in.
Nov 21, 2018
58 posts
22 upvotes
masterlowping wrote:
these 2 lay it out.
Are you expecting people to glean an understanding from your viewpoint, by watching a > 4 hour video? Just curious...
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4179 posts
986 upvotes
morpheus_1987 wrote: You're missing the point. I kept as close to the parts in the build as I could just to illustrate what the bill of parts would cost if you were to source similar parts otherwise I would have slapped the appropriate 8GBx2 RAM too for proper dual channel support Your AMD equivalent build runs into the same problem as I stated with the lack of availability of AMD parts. Even 3xxx series CPUs are somewhat scarce while 5xxx are almost non-existent. Plus once you throw on a legitimate OS, you're pretty much at the posted price of the pre-built so the pre-built is a luke-warm deal at least while saving your the labor. I do restrain from calling it hot as there have been other pre-builts posted where the bill of parts would exceed the pre-built's cost.
bringmedealz wrote: It hardly matters. They all basically perform at the same level. Also with a prebuilt I wouldn't be looking at overlocking and heck overclocking doesn't do much these days.
The dell is "ok" if you aren't looking past this build.

If you look past this build/configuration, there may be a lot of limitations like the PSU, proprietary connections, or resale value for the 3070 which may depend on "which" 3070 it is.

Is Dell doing a proprietary 3070 or connection? Maybe some of the RFDers that purchased this can comment on whether it uses 8 pin PCIE or whether Dell is using something else.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1671 posts
170 upvotes
Just built my own computer, didn't post and rebooted every 10 seconds. Didn't have spare parts other than a power supply to test to see what want working.

Guessed at the part and sent it back hoping I picked the right one. At that point I would have preferred a prebuilt so I could have sent the whole thing back so I didn't have to worry about it and spend a few hours taking it apart and rebuilding it trying to troubleshoot what I could.

It is great when it works, but when it doesn't, it's blows
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
399 posts
509 upvotes
ranawayz wrote: FYI dell uses cutdown small versions of RTX 3070s which has much worse thermals and therefore less performance since RTXs overclock themselves based on thermal allowance. Dell benchmarks show their cards have lower fps across the board compared to even founders edition (cards like asus tuf evga ftw3 have nearly 10% more fps)
Friends don’t let friends buy Dell
Feb 10, 2008
79 posts
116 upvotes
ProtossCraft wrote: Most people that game are going to tell you to build your own rather then go prebuilt, which is what I would recommend. Heck even go to a computer store and have them help you select the parts and pay them a bit to build it for you if you're really new and granted you can get an RTX 3070. But if you really must buy a prebuilt gaming computer, this is an alright deal, and by far way better than anything you can get prebuilt at best buy and other big box computer store. Also for the love of god, make sure you select 2x8GB memory and not 1x16GB memory if you are going to be going this route. Also obligatory LTT secret shopper link to showcase dell's online experience.

TBH, I don't think you can build this computer for cheaper than that. Just a 3070 is a third of that price.
Nov 11, 2019
51 posts
94 upvotes
If anyone is interested in buying this, make sure you switch the ram to the ‘ 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz’ for zero extra dollars. Lol, I don’t know why they made the 1 stick default.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
3295 posts
903 upvotes
Calgary
cyder wrote: Just built my own computer, didn't post and rebooted every 10 seconds. Didn't have spare parts other than a power supply to test to see what want working.

Guessed at the part and sent it back hoping I picked the right one. At that point I would have preferred a prebuilt so I could have sent the whole thing back so I didn't have to worry about it and spend a few hours taking it apart and rebuilding it trying to troubleshoot what I could.

It is great when it works, but when it doesn't, it's blows
Troubleshooting is the best part! Once a rig is built and working perfectly it ceases to be interesting. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2001
1251 posts
581 upvotes
Just a note. The $1899 model, a doorbuster, is not eligible for Dell's further discount coupon. The model that's $100 more and includes a larger SSD does qualify. You can add a filler, e.g. extend the warranty ($39 to go "on site") or a $10 cable and apply then $100off$2000PC. It makes the deal slightly more interesting.
Apr 27, 2017
7 posts
2 upvotes
I bought a Dell G5 5090 back in February this year and just had the PSU die on me.
I spent the whole morning trying to get tech support to send a replacement PSU. After being shuffled back and forth repeatedly to the same departments (tech support, sales and general) and being put on hold for an hour I gave up. The automated bot that connects to your service tag was more helpful. That's my experience anyways.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1145 posts
305 upvotes
In This Thread: a bunch of neckbeards ragging on prebuilt computer

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)