Expired Hot Deals

Dell

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (15.6” AMD) Laptop / Ryzen 5 4500U / 256GB NVMe / 8GB RAM / FHD $629.99 and 5% Cash Back at GCR

[OP]
Feb 8, 2011
677 posts
625 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like this was better than painted body on refresh line up.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
3717 posts
472 upvotes
Vancouver
So the original deal is dead as they've retired that model or sold out? So need to move this thread to expired deals.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3535 upvotes
Burnaby
yorkhvac wrote: Looks like this was better than painted body on refresh line up.
kmchow wrote: So the original deal is dead as they've retired that model or sold out? So need to move this thread to expired deals.
Nah. Instead, [OP] should just update the thread to point to the 4700U model which is currently on sale for CAD $779.99 (Starting Price CAD $1,038.99)

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/cty/pdp ... 0_sb_s103e

Order Code ni155000_sb_s103e
processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 4700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Graphics
laptop: Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
videocard: AMD Radeon™ Graphics with shared graphics memory
memory: 8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
harddrive: 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

Stack up 10% off email signup | UniDays plus 5% cashbacx GCR (or whatever Rakuten is offering) plus 3% store credit (Dell Rewards)

Webpage says "Ready to Ship". A try on delivery day for Toronto yields as estimated delivery date "April 28th"
Images
  • 5505 4700u estimated delivery date to center of universe.JPG

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4454 posts
3469 upvotes
Vancouver
aviador wrote: Nah. Instead, [OP] should just update the thread to point to the 4700U model which is currently on sale for CAD $779.99 (Starting Price CAD $1,038.99)

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/cty/pdp ... 0_sb_s103e

Order Code ni155000_sb_s103e
processor: AMD Ryzen™ 7 4700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Graphics
laptop: Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
videocard: AMD Radeon™ Graphics with shared graphics memory
memory: 8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
harddrive: 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive

Stack up 10% off email signup | UniDays plus 5% cashbacx GCR (or whatever Rakuten is offering) plus 3% store credit (Dell Rewards)

Webpage says "Ready to Ship". A try on delivery day for Toronto yields as estimated delivery date "April 28th"
Given the build quality of the Inspiron 15, putting a 4700U is bit of waste in my opinion.

Single heatpipe, dim display, and marginal keyboard.

4500U for $539, it makes sense. 4700U for $700, it's far from a hot deal.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3535 upvotes
Burnaby
Spinner wrote: Given the build quality of the Inspiron 15, putting a 4700U is bit of waste in my opinion.

Single heatpipe, dim display, and marginal keyboard.

4500U for $539, it makes sense. 4700U for $700, it's far from a hot deal.
I share your opinion about these Inspiron 5505. These laptops are worth $500-600 tops regardless of processor. But hey, those seem to have been the only game in town (or at least on RFD) since last year, for instance dell-dell-15-4500u-4700u-usb-c-dp-4k60- ... 0-2387232/

OTOH, 8C/8T and a bit better iGPU have their benefits regardless of heat management issues, for instance for virtual machines (e.g., allocating cores). The $100 delta wrt the 4500U might be justifiable. What's really missing at this moment is a good cashback (IIRC, 14% has been the max for Dell).

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
Jan 20, 2017
53 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Spinner wrote: You can use this to your advantage. After the order is eventually delivered, ask Dell CS for $30-50 credit back. My computer was only delayed by one day and they offered me $50 after I complained about poor build quality and delays. Total came to $450 before tax and after PM, 10% coupon, and 8% Rakuten.
Well after many phone calls and promises that my laptop would be "produced" and shipped the next day, today's agent said the laptop is no longer in production and the series is not available anymore. So I am getting a full refund. They wouldn't give me any additional credit when I asked and I got hung up on. I'm not holding my breath for the refund to occur. These guys are incompetent at best.

Original order was first week March, now 6 weeks later, no laptop full refund.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4454 posts
3469 upvotes
Vancouver
FungusAmongus wrote: Well after many phone calls and promises that my laptop would be "produced" and shipped the next day, today's agent said the laptop is no longer in production and the series is not available anymore. So I am getting a full refund. They wouldn't give me any additional credit when I asked and I got hung up on. I'm not holding my breath for the refund to occur. These guys are incompetent at best.

Original order was first week March, now 6 weeks later, no laptop full refund.
Disappointing to hear that. From my experience, I find the reps tend to be more helpful via email. The phone sales and customer support guys are less knowledgeable and more curt.
Jan 20, 2017
53 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Spinner wrote: Disappointing to hear that. From my experience, I find the reps tend to be more helpful via email. The phone sales and customer support guys are less knowledgeable and more curt.
Not as disappointed as I am. I already waited this long, so I'll wait for some new-gen laptops to arrive. Maybe there will be a good deal in the next few months.
Jan 20, 2017
53 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver BC
FungusAmongus wrote: Not as disappointed as I am. I already waited this long, so I'll wait for some new-gen laptops to arrive. Maybe there will be a good deal in the next few months.
Yay! After many months (on phone, and using Dell Community forums) I FINALLY got my refund. It's almost end of June and this fiasco started beginning of March. Brutal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9631 posts
10933 upvotes
Toronto
turtlepower11 wrote: Saw a new post today about RAM on sale: newegg-16-gb-2x8-g-skill-ripjaws-3200mh ... 9-2491145/

This post came to mind; this RAM upgrade be compatible with this Dell laptop? I want to buy it for a friend since I recommend this Dell laptop for him which he bought.
Yes, it will work

Dell Inspiron 15 5505 4500/4700u Tweaks/Upgraded/BIOS/mods/experience Thread
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4111 posts
1610 upvotes
Kingston, ON
So many laptops.... so many configurations, how do you know what is a good deal anymore.

For example.... two Inspiron 15" laptops, same processors... how does a person know if what they are buying is good? Why AMD over Intel? Frig sakes....
Images
  • Screenshot 2021-09-24 085927.png
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3015 posts
500 upvotes
Slawek wrote: So many laptops.... so many configurations, how do you know what is a good deal anymore.

For example.... two Inspiron 15" laptops, same processors... how does a person know if what they are buying is good? Why AMD over Intel? Frig sakes....
The difference is the size of the SSD and the extra ram... I think its worth the extra 70 bucks.
I dont know if the memory is soldered or not or if the 16gb is one or two sticks and I dont know if the panel is actually any good.
Otherwise its a good machine... but dont know if its a good price or not either.
Hopefully folks will answer these questions, because I am also looking for a new laptop but was eyeing minimum ryzen 5 5500.

But for some reason I am not liking the shape of the laptop, dont like how the screen is used as a stand. I think the rubber will wear out fairly quick with the constant open and close of the lid...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9631 posts
10933 upvotes
Toronto
Slawek wrote: So many laptops.... so many configurations, how do you know what is a good deal anymore.

The first unit is 3511 model, the second unit is 5510 model

Inspiron 15 3511 - Setup and specifications

Inspiron 15 5510 - Setup and Specifications

The 5000 series has better build quality than the 3000 series.

AMD Ryzen 5000 series processors are better for battery life and are cooler running, afaik

HammerJoe wrote: The difference is the size of the SSD and the extra ram... I think its worth the extra 70 bucks.
I dont know if the memory is soldered or not or if the 16gb is one or two sticks and I dont know if the panel is actually any good.
Otherwise its a good machine... but dont know if its a good price or not either.
Hopefully folks will answer these questions, because I am also looking for a new laptop but was eyeing minimum ryzen 5 5500.

But for some reason I am not liking the shape of the laptop, dont like how the screen is used as a stand. I think the rubber will wear out fairly quick with the constant open and close of the lid...
Both laptops have two so-dimm slots for memory upgrades according to Dell's Setup and Specifications documents.

Inspiron 15 3511 - Setup and specifications

Inspiron 15 5510 - Setup and Specifications