Expired Hot Deals

Dell

DELL Precision 3240 Compact WorkStation(USFF) 2.3L i3-10100/8G $279/$313 i5-10500/8G $419/$470

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2021 10:16 am
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3687 posts
1109 upvotes
Toronto
BooR4dL3y wrote: Just received my i3-10100 last night. I found a displayport to hdmi cable in my box of spare cables, but I was only able to get 1080p, I should be able to get 4k60Hz if I get a better cable or am I limited when going from dp to hdmi?
I think that you'll need a fancy ("active") converter. I've had very mixed results with random converters that claim to do DP to HDMI UltraHD @ 60 Hz. Converters that only handle up to 30Hz (no matter what they claim) are easier to find and cheaper.

This one worked for me: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00S0C7QO8
It probably won't work for HDR or fancy sound streams.
It's even inexpensive at the moment (a few months ago I think I saw it listed for twice that price).
Maybe that means that there are now less expensive alternatives.
I mostly use it for older computers (eg. Haswell processors).

I bought this but haven't tried it yet: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00EDT0072
When I bought it, it was considerably cheaper than the Plugable one.

It so happens that my main monitor (old) only handles UltraHD up to 30Hz. Fine for my use but not for gaming.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2480 upvotes
Did anyone get their ebates on this? I have the machine ship to me but no confirmation number email so I can't even submit it to ebates.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2480 upvotes
Can someone please give me the breakdown of the price of the i3 with the antenna and the usbc card? I got:

i3 394.60
i5 564.76

The difference is $170 but the processor difference is $190 so I think they overcharged me somewhere.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2480 upvotes
Does anyone remember if the stand was included as well? I didn't get one.
May 7, 2018
29 posts
30 upvotes
I bought a machine, and no longer need it.
PM me if you’d like to take it off my hands for at cost.
(Rather than me returning it)
Located in AB
Dec 26, 2007
482 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver
vivibaby wrote: Does anyone remember if the stand was included as well? I didn't get one.
stand was extra. Can prob be 3D printed quite easily.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1978 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
No, it showed $0 for any cashback with some information saying Dell didn't provide any cashback for this order. I already submitted an inquiry and the Rakuten rep is going to check in. I remember when ordering that the Rakuten extension popped up and I activated cashback. Hopefully they get it solved -- I kind of think that Dell might pull a fast one and say that there is no cashback due to use of the coupon code.

Anyways, this is a sweet little computer. Just setting up Ubuntu (on the included HDD) is terribly slow after being accustomed to using SSD. I'm just waiting for BF or Prime Day to pickup a M.2 to replace. I opted for the i3-10100 version with the lowest config. I instantly installed Minecraft/Optifine to checkout performance; and it ran really good at 1080p. Got 60fps (think I had v-sync turned on somewhere) pretty easy - definitely ran way smoother than my old i7-3770 - both with their respective iGPU (Zotac ZBox).

The system does get pretty toasty when stressed. I didn't get any temperature readings but it was quite hot on the bottom/right side where all the action (CPU) is.

I paid $340.60 for my i3-10100 build. No wirelless/bluetooth, so just the basic.

Didn't see a stand in my box. Pretty bare packaging; Keyboard, Mouse, Power Brick, Power Cable for Brick, Computer. They packed the computer in cardboard and not foam like in the youtube video (I guess probably some environmental packaging rules here).
vivibaby wrote: Did anyone get their ebates on this? I have the machine ship to me but no confirmation number email so I can't even submit it to ebates.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1978 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks, I've got those two on order to give them a whirl. You just reminded me I have a Club 3D DP to HDMI dongle somewhere around here - I had to use it with my Radeon HD6950 to get 4k60Hz.
Hugh wrote: I think that you'll need a fancy ("active") converter. I've had very mixed results with random converters that claim to do DP to HDMI UltraHD @ 60 Hz. Converters that only handle up to 30Hz (no matter what they claim) are easier to find and cheaper.

This one worked for me: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00S0C7QO8
It probably won't work for HDR or fancy sound streams.
It's even inexpensive at the moment (a few months ago I think I saw it listed for twice that price).
Maybe that means that there are now less expensive alternatives.
I mostly use it for older computers (eg. Haswell processors).

I bought this but haven't tried it yet: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00EDT0072
When I bought it, it was considerably cheaper than the Plugable one.

It so happens that my main monitor (old) only handles UltraHD up to 30Hz. Fine for my use but not for gaming.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
523 posts
2162 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote: Can someone please give me the breakdown of the price of the i3 with the antenna and the usbc card? I got:

i3 394.60
i5 564.76

The difference is $170 but the processor difference is $190 so I think they overcharged me somewhere.
The $190 was reduced by the 10% off coupon so it should be $171 more than the i3 before tax.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
523 posts
2162 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote: Does anyone remember if the stand was included as well? I didn't get one.
Dell doesn't design a stand for it.
It is wide enough to stand by itself.
But I think putting 4 rubber feet would be better.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2480 upvotes
Thanks for all the answer everyone.

Last question. I'm still wondering which one I should open and keep.

Hearing that there are heating issues with the i3, would it be better to return the i5? I'm worried that it'll throttle and wouldn't be much better and then the 170 difference would be a waste unless they have different cooling fans. I've used i5s all my life so I'm not sure if lowering down would affect me. I have a ryzen 3500 laptop with vega 10 so am not sure if the integrated graphics is similar but I'm planning on getting a video card to do some light game as well although I'm not sure how it would fit in this small case.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2003
1978 posts
618 upvotes
Vancouver
I was bit surprised that there wasn't any rubber pads already embedded in the side of the casing so that you could stand it up. All the advertisements show the case standing tall. Heck, even the Dell logo and words "Precision 3240" are correctly upright when the case is standing tall. I seem to remember that a Dell SFF that I bought from Dell Refurbish had the rubber pads embedded on the side so you could either stand it tall or lay it flat.
Aug 24, 2018
748 posts
1015 upvotes
Langley BC
I submitted a missing cash to rakuten a day after I ordered with my order number and shopping trip. Still waiting for dell to release the information so that rakuten can give me my cash back.
Don..
Aug 8, 2003
430 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: Did anyone get their ebates on this? I have the machine ship to me but no confirmation number email so I can't even submit it to ebates.
i got my cash back posted to my account
Aug 24, 2018
748 posts
1015 upvotes
Langley BC
Just got windows 10 pro installed. When I was going to install windows on my m.2ssd I could see both the ssd and the one that came with the computer. After instal windows can't see the 2nd drive (i am guessing because it is not formated for windows. If this is the case what would be the best option to see it and format it so it can be used as storage. Thanks.
Don..
Aug 24, 2018
748 posts
1015 upvotes
Langley BC
I was able to go into disk management and see the disk there. In disk management I was able to first delete most of the disk (couldn't get the 750mb partition as it is still being used). I then formated the HD to NTFS and the computer noticed it. Anyone know how to get the last 750mb (I am assuming this is the ubuntu program).
Images
  • 20201010_204528.jpg
Don..
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1481 posts
1655 upvotes
Now I'm wondering if it is possible to unlock power delivery setting on these bios? xo something like ITX or throttlestop will work?
Apr 28, 2014
195 posts
33 upvotes
Waterloo
vivibaby wrote: Thanks for all the answer everyone.

Last question. I'm still wondering which one I should open and keep.

Hearing that there are heating issues with the i3, would it be better to return the i5? I'm worried that it'll throttle and wouldn't be much better and then the 170 difference would be a waste unless they have different cooling fans. I've used i5s all my life so I'm not sure if lowering down would affect me. I have a ryzen 3500 laptop with vega 10 so am not sure if the integrated graphics is similar but I'm planning on getting a video card to do some light game as well although I'm not sure how it would fit in this small case.
where about are you located? i'm interested in taking the i5 in Toronto/Waterloo area
Aug 24, 2018
748 posts
1015 upvotes
Langley BC
I have the i3 all setup and so far I am impressed with it. The bottom does get warm when my daughter is playing roblox but not warm enough for the fan to be really noticeable. Under my normal use the whole unit stays nice and cool with zero fan noise. I would compare this unit to still run cooler than most laptops with less fan noise as well. Really happy with my purchase so far.
Don..