• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2021 12:11 am
[OP]
Apr 6, 2003
445 posts
93 upvotes
Ottawa

[Dell] Dell USB-C Mobile Adapter – DA310 $99.99

The Dell USB-C Mobile Adapter is a compact and portable multiport 7-in-1 adapter that can connect to just about any device you have. Its downstream USB-C port supports power pass through and is ideal when your laptop does not have any more USB-C charging ports.

Seems like a pretty compact device to declutter a home office.
37 replies
Oct 13, 2019
89 posts
158 upvotes
This doesn't come with a power supply. I think the price isn't very attractive.
Jul 15, 2003
891 posts
1215 upvotes
HansonJ18908 wrote: FYI...Only one video output is supported at a time.
Oh deal breaker... Thanks for posting this. Some like me might not have read the whole info. In wfh era, this is a must for many.
Aug 17, 2015
96 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This thing is amazing! Form factor and footprint is great for traveling. Although it is only one video output - it's great. No power supply - but it does have throughput. So use your laptop charger to power it up and all your chosen peripherals! Would def recommend for travel and business. Great price, as well. Cheers.
Nov 19, 2020
160 posts
512 upvotes
You can get a universal brand without power for $20 and will do the single video play through. Not very hot of a deal.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6949 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
This is not a docking station by any means.... It's for business people who needed to plug their laptop into a VGA (or HDMI or Display Port) and/or need to hardwire to network to do a preso or work.

The intent of this device is not to replace a docking station.

Source - I have one of these in my travel bag for work.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Jan 9, 2012
275 posts
259 upvotes
Brampton
ocmaki wrote: This doesn't come with a power supply. I think the price isn't very attractive.
Why is it important that it comes with a power supply?
Dec 14, 2013
176 posts
263 upvotes
AJAX
$100 for a laptop accessory is insane (imo).
Jul 9, 2019
687 posts
2607 upvotes
Don't like the rounded design, brings back 1990s.

So far have resisted dongle life and all rumours are pointing that Industry is heading back to ports after this failed experiment. Most likely Apple will take the lead with newer MBPs coming up in October and rest will follow.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19819 posts
2579 upvotes
You can buy this kind of device from Amazon.ca any day of the week for < $50. You're paying $50 because its a circle, which is also an inferior layout to boot!

This is ice cold.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5715 posts
5378 upvotes
Vancouver
ITT: People who don't understand why this costs $100.

You're not likely to find a reputable $50 hub that supports 4K60 with 90W PD. Nor are you getting USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10Gbps). Most of those cheap hubs will be 4K30, 60W, with 5Gbps. Dell also provides firmware updates, so you aren't left out if there's some compatibility issue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
8902 posts
2243 upvotes
Mont-Royal
what is the cheapest usb c dual monitor (extended, not mirror) with 100 PD?
Aliexpress?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Aug 17, 2015
96 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm surprised. It's a use case device. MOBILE ADAPTER - says it in the title. This is not your main dock. It's to be prepared on the go! Haha. Small footprint. Head out and your good in almost every single scenario that could be thrown at you. It is well worth the price tag. But a true RFD would be $80 or less (as Dell usually discounts their accessories on a bi-monthly basis. And this deal was around in June, as well.) But, again, it's a dope product. Cheers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5715 posts
5378 upvotes
Vancouver
ocmaki wrote: This doesn't come with a power supply. I think the price isn't very attractive.
I'm pretty sure Dell intended for you to use your own notebook power adapter via pass through. This thing is meant for mobile use.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
3492 posts
3958 upvotes
Prince George
I have one of the cheap $20 ones, only does 4K @ 30 Hz, gets kind of warm so I don't expect it'll last all that long. I'd probably grab this if there was a bit bigger discount somehow. Rakuten, coupon or whatever. Probably still a pass at $100.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1338 posts
839 upvotes
Waterloo
I actually just bought this Kapok USB C hub off Amazon last week - it works well with my M1 MacBook Air and displays 4k60hz no problem through the HDMI 2.0 port. Having the Ethernet port would be real nice, though, like this Dell one has.

Considering ordering the DA310 and returning the Kapok but I’m not sure if it’s worth the price difference.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19819 posts
2579 upvotes
Spinner wrote: ITT: People who don't understand why this costs $100.

You're not likely to find a reputable $50 hub that supports 4K60 with 90W PD.
Took me 5 seconds, literally.

https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation-Mul ... 08FWMWGTD/

EDIT: here is another one that also has USB 3.2 as well, also under $50.

https://www.amazon.ca/Techwolf-USB-Hub- ... B087YXMR1B
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings