Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Dell USB-C Mobile Adapter – DA310 $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2021 12:11 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6026 posts
5846 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote: Took me 5 seconds, literally.

https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation-Mul ... 08FWMWGTD/

EDIT: here is another one that also has USB 3.2 as well, also under $50.

https://www.amazon.ca/Techwolf-USB-Hub- ... B087YXMR1B
So a $55 one that has 5Gbps.

Or a no name “Techwolf” brand that costs $70 with no reviews.

Hopefully you spent more than 5 seconds thinking about the results rather than just throwing out links.

$70 for a no name brand or a $100 Dell with firmware updates and better support.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19876 posts
2638 upvotes
Spinner wrote: So a $55 one that has 5Gbps.

Or a no name “Techwolf” brand that costs $70 with no reviews.

Hopefully you spent more than 5 seconds thinking about the results rather than just throwing out links.

$70 for a no name brand or a $100 Dell with firmware updates and better support.
The odds that Dell is ever going to patch firmware on a dongle are basically zero. And what the hell support do you need on an HDMI dongle? It works or it doesn't. Who is calling support ever? The Dell one is the same overseas junk as any other, youre paying for the brand, nothing more.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Jun 4, 2011
547 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto
I spent a bit of time finding the cheapest USB-C dongle with 4K60Hz HDMI and I think it cost about $35 a couple months ago. It does indeed do the job but some lack of shielding caused my 2.4Ghz wifi connection to drop, I switched to 5Ghz so no big deal but the cheapos are definitely not without problems. I think I am also quite limited on USB speeds as the HDMI connection maxes out the linkage pretty well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6026 posts
5846 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote: The odds that Dell is ever going to patch firmware on a dongle are basically zero. And what the hell support do you need on an HDMI dongle? It works or it doesn't. Who is calling support ever? The Dell one is the same overseas junk as any other, youre paying for the brand, nothing more.
It's obvious you've never used hubs/docks in any serious way. There are all sorts of sleep/wake and detection issues given there are millions of USB and display devices. You have issues with EMI as the poster above mentioned.

Dell issued in a firmware update in June 2021. They offer a 3-year warranty on the hub.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca ... erid=ddmd6

If you look at the teardown of this Dell hub, you can see it uses quality components and controllers. For example, not all docks can emulate Apple and Samsung fast charging protocols.

This Dell hub is made by BizLink and Luxshare. One of those companies is well known for high quality docks. The other company helped design and manufacture AirPods.

The world isn't as simple as you think.
Feb 12, 2020
375 posts
576 upvotes
Guys I don't understand why some of you guys are taking this so personally. I'm just here for suggested alternatives to the Dell usb c hub or to see why this might be a good deal but my goodness.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6952 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto
junggoo wrote: Guys I don't understand why some of you guys are taking this so personally. I'm just here for suggested alternatives to the Dell usb c hub or to see why this might be a good deal but my goodness.
We're ragey at the people who came in here comparing this to a $200+ Thunderbolt docking station. In other words, the 5 clowns who down voted.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Jul 19, 2012
282 posts
614 upvotes
Victoria
Let's keep the comments positive. Everyone has good input here.

Yes, there are cheaper alternatives but they all vary in quality and options. The Dell one has VGA, HDMI and DisplayPort ports, which is a bit unusual and possibly useful to some. There's no micro card reader though.

I bought an Aukey hub about 8 months ago but it does not handle the HDMI output very well to a large monitor. It has lag and occasional flicker.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2515 posts
1849 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
brunes wrote: The odds that Dell is ever going to patch firmware on a dongle are basically zero. And what the hell support do you need on an HDMI dongle? It works or it doesn't. Who is calling support ever? The Dell one is the same overseas junk as any other, youre paying for the brand, nothing more.
My Dell dock had numerous firmware updates. I was surprised.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1108 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
a tech question. does the video output on these devices use cpu power or gpu to achieve 4k 60hz? i have an old 3rd gen intel desktop with on board graphics. Can I get a pci-e to usb-c card and connect to this dell to make the computer support 4k/60?
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22931 upvotes
Toronto
milkshake321 wrote: a tech question. does the video output on these devices use cpu power or gpu to achieve 4k 60hz? i have an old 3rd gen intel desktop with on board graphics. Can I get a pci-e to usb-c card and connect to this dell to make the computer support 4k/60?
GPU, DisplayPort Alt Mode

User Guide

The DA310 is only compatible with the USB-C port on the PC, i.e. Thunderbolt port or USB-C (DisplayPort Alt Mode) port.

4K resolution at 60 Hz is supported on PCs that supports DisplayPort 1.3 or above (HBR3) with a monitor that is capable of 4K resolution at 60 Hz. On PCs that support below DisplayPort 1.3, the maximum resolution supported is 4K at 30 Hz
Destiny is all
Nov 19, 2006
244 posts
390 upvotes
Edmonton
Am I thinking right that for an M1 MacBook this DA310 will not let me extend to two external monitors ie. connect Monitor 1 and charger to this hub, and then connect Monitor 2 to another port on the Mac
Mar 26, 2012
231 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
Is the retractable cable removable? I'd hate for that thing to go and not be covered. It's a bit of a unique design which has it's pros/cons. Doesn't seem to have any perkopolis discount. I'll pass since my old Toshiba Dynadock is still kicking.
Nov 19, 2006
244 posts
390 upvotes
Edmonton
tinytingrin wrote: Am I thinking right that for an M1 MacBook this DA310 will not let me extend to two external monitors ie. connect Monitor 1 and charger to this hub, and then connect Monitor 2 to another port on the Mac
I am thinking the only way to do this is a Universal USB 3.0 dock that uses DisplayLink drivers
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6026 posts
5846 upvotes
Vancouver
junggoo wrote: Guys I don't understand why some of you guys are taking this so personally. I'm just here for suggested alternatives to the Dell usb c hub or to see why this might be a good deal but my goodness.
This hub handles more data and power than most consumer routers. Yet, some people seem to think a $50 hub is no different than a $100 one.

You wouldn't buy the cheapest router on Amazon.ca with no firmware updates or warranty. Not sure why some people do it with hubs. It's ridiculous.
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22931 upvotes
Toronto
tinytingrin wrote: Am I thinking right that for an M1 MacBook this DA310 will not let me extend to two external monitors ie. connect Monitor 1 and charger to this hub, and then connect Monitor 2 to another port on the Mac
tinytingrin wrote: I am thinking the only way to do this is a Universal USB 3.0 dock that uses DisplayLink drivers
DisplayLink-compatible docking station or USB adapter is needed to use two or more external displays with your M1 MacBook.

Everything You Need to Run Multiple Monitors from Your M1 MacBook
Destiny is all
Aug 17, 2015
96 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This thread is awesome. Haha. Shout out to OP. Again - to reiterate - great product. A true RFD @ $100?! No. But still a great value for the price. Better than the $130.

Best MOBILE adapter. Hands down. Lots of scenarios this has saved deals and impressed clients.

But I will go as far as saying that this isn't for everyone. Outlandish?! Perhaps. Haha. But dope, regardless.

Cheers.
Feb 12, 2020
375 posts
576 upvotes
Spinner wrote: You wouldn't buy the cheapest router on Amazon.ca with no firmware updates or warranty. Not sure why some people do it with hubs. It's ridiculous.
Uh oh. Did I just destroy my computer, I used a $20~$25 hub on it once this week. It seemed to work fine.

The average uneducated peasant (like me) doesn't know much better. :(
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23754 posts
8530 upvotes
Nice but not a nice price to use with my Chromecast. Wish the C pass through hubs would go down in price but they are stubbornly high priced...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)