Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Dell Venue 8 Pro 64GB (Not Refurb) - $319.19 (Reg $349.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2014 8:44 am
Tags:
Feb 8, 2007
94 posts
29 upvotes
Calgary
chimp wrote: you mean connect it to an USB hub then branch off from there ? Trivial may be but too cumbersome for me. I am in a constant process of decluttering my wires and aux devices.
Check out my post #24 here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
yes, that is what I guess and too cumbersome for my liking.

The 11 Pro already has a full size USB and HDMI so the only think I need is a standard HDMI cable is available every where(think visit a client's office to connect to projector), though as always each of their own.
May 21, 2008
578 posts
157 upvotes
Winnipeg
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/dell-venue-8-p ... enue-8-pro

One could save $65 more by waiting for that former $199 deal to return on the 32gb model, and just add a $35 64gb microSD card....except it might prove to be a long wait. This is not an uber deal, but it isn't bad by comparison.

It's a lovely tiny productivity device. With a good bluetooth travel mouse and keyboard (cheaper here), this is a surprisingly functional portable office-on-the-go + excellent media tablet for less than $400, all in, as it includes a full MS Office 2013 license. Even with its 2gb RAM limitation I haven't detected any slowness in any W8 desktop applications to date (e.g., Excel, Word, SPSS, Evernote, Dropbox, etc.), which was a pleasant surprise. Was also pleased with the screen resolution, brightness, and tap accuracy (tap detection is not 100% perfect). Others may have different opinions on the best 8" full W8 tablet + MS Office 2013 + peripherals for under $400, but this ain't a bad one.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2499 posts
991 upvotes
prodigal.sun wrote: It's fairly a trivial task to get video out the Venue 8 Pro with a display link adapter . You can actually get power, video and a bunch of USB devices *simultaneously* out of that one USB port. I'm was doing this with mine. I'd agree that the added premium is not worth it for the Venue 11.
I am using this device and it's the best solution for Venue 8.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3900- ... =PLUGGABLE

You get 2 displays out of the box + Ethernet + 2 of USB 3.0 + 4 of USB 2.0. Only thing I have to connect to Venue is power other than 1 usb cable to get every single peripherals.

I have following connected to my Pluggable.

1 HDMI to TV (42" for watching movie)
1 DVI to external monitor
1 USB Keyboard
1 USB Mouse
1 USB External HDD
1 Ethernet
1 Headset

This is perfect solution for my Venue 8 and my Surface Pro.
Aug 16, 2010
423 posts
216 upvotes
nuwan32 wrote: i dont understand why the venue 11 costs $600 more... it just has a slightly better processor and a bigger screen. is that really worth $600? the venue 8 is great, but its too small to do any actual work on.
It doesn't always go for that much more, it's usually around the $500 range. I do love my Venue 11 bought refurb for $260 USD.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Ended up ordering one using that double MPP link for $285. Had some dell advantage credit for my recent laptop purchase so it came out for $237 after taxes, which is only $17 more than the 32gb version I sold so not a bad upgrade for an extra 32gb of hard drive without having to fuss with micro sd cards.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
chimp wrote: and the fact that it doesn't have HDMI output. Together, the 11 is much better and worth the price difference. Beside, I think Atom based venue pro 11 is not 600 more.

I have given the 8 a deep thought but choose to pass as I already have a N7 so the venue 8 doesn't give me any added value
I have HDMI out on my Blackberry Z10 - almost never use it other than the odd Netflix movie in a hotel room.

Most tablets and phones do not have HDMI.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
I have this tablet for about a week now, my thoughts on it:

- It is heavier than my iPad mini, which makes it a bit uncomfortable when reading in bed
- With the case, it feels bulky
- There's not a lot of Windows 8/RT apps, so you're mostly forced to use the x86 based apps. The keyboard does not pop up automatically when you are using these apps.
- The screen is too small to just use with fingers imo, invest in a stylus
- Only micro-usb port, but it does support data, so you can buy a micro-usb to USB adapter if you want to attach a harddrive
- The device does support Miracast, so not a big deal breaker for me that it doesn't have HDMI output.
- Battery life is pretty good. Havn't tested it all the way, but I watched 2 movies and still had plenty of battery life left
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
kool1 wrote: I have HDMI out on my Blackberry Z10 - almost never use it other than the odd Netflix movie in a hotel room.

Most tablets and phones do not have HDMI.
tablet and phone don't need HDMI but I don't see this as a 'tablet', I would rather get ipad/android or even RT if that is the usage intended. The only reason i would buy an x86 is because it is a 'pc' and for that to be useful, output to bigger monitor is a must given the screen size(even 11 is a bit small but acceptable). As a tablet, my N7 serves me well, other than its overheat issue which is a bit annoying.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
I love my Venue Pro. I honestly don't use my ipad that much anymore.

joongpark wrote: I am using this device and it's the best solution for Venue 8.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3900- ... =PLUGGABLE

You get 2 displays out of the box + Ethernet + 2 of USB 3.0 + 4 of USB 2.0. Only thing I have to connect to Venue is power other than 1 usb cable to get every single peripherals.

I have following connected to my Pluggable.

1 HDMI to TV (42" for watching movie)
1 DVI to external monitor
1 USB Keyboard
1 USB Mouse
1 USB External HDD
1 Ethernet
1 Headset

This is perfect solution for my Venue 8 and my Surface Pro.

Have you gotten this to work AND power your tablet at the same time? been doing some research on this lately - want to use my Venue Pro 8 as more of a desktop replacement if possible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
zz000ter wrote: $330 at FS

I am surprised that no one has complained yet that this is only Atom based
and not powerful enough to do real gaming on.

Because most people aren't buying a 200-300 dollar tablet to do "REAL" gaming on.
That's what my desktop is for.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
Konowl wrote: I love my Venue Pro. I honestly don't use my ipad that much anymore.

Have you gotten this to work AND power your tablet at the same time? been doing some research on this lately - want to use my Venue Pro 8 as more of a desktop replacement if possible.
I believe there is some form of 'Y' cable so you can charge it via one end and make it the USB host on the other end(to output to USB hub), just a few post back there is a link from another poster about this.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1172 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
if i can get it for regular use for 125+tax (have a 25$coupon), will it be a good deal?
Dell Venue 8, Black, 16GB
Processor
Intel® Atom™ processor Z2580 (up to 2.0GHz Dual-Core)
Operating System
Android 4.3
Memory2
2GB DDR2
Video Card
Intel® HD Graphics
Storage
16GB eMMC
Display
8.0 inch IPS Display with HD (WXGA 1280 x 800) resolution with capacitive multi-touch
Wireless
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 + GPS
Warranty
1 Year Basic Mail-In Service Plan
Ports, Slots & Chassis
Micro-SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC supporting up to 32GB)
1 x Micro-AB USB2.0 (for charging)
1 x Headphone and microphone combo jack
Dimensions (HxWxD) mm/inches
Thickness 0.384” (9.75mm)
Width: 5.11" (130mm)
Length: 8.35" (212mm)
Starting at Weight3
Starting at 372.25g/0.82lbs
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
spiderman6 wrote: if i can get it for regular use for 125+tax (have a 25$coupon), will it be a good deal?
Dell Venue 8, Black, 16GB
Processor
Intel® Atom™ processor Z2580 (up to 2.0GHz Dual-Core)
Operating System
Android 4.3
Memory2
2GB DDR2
Video Card
Intel® HD Graphics
Storage
16GB eMMC
Display
8.0 inch IPS Display with HD (WXGA 1280 x 800) resolution with capacitive multi-touch
Wireless
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 + GPS
Warranty
1 Year Basic Mail-In Service Plan
Ports, Slots & Chassis
Micro-SD Card Reader (SD, SDHC supporting up to 32GB)
1 x Micro-AB USB2.0 (for charging)
1 x Headphone and microphone combo jack
Dimensions (HxWxD) mm/inches
Thickness 0.384” (9.75mm)
Width: 5.11" (130mm)
Length: 8.35" (212mm)
Starting at Weight3
Starting at 372.25g/0.82lbs
Note that this is the Android version and completely different than what this deal is for (the Pro version, which is full Windows 8)
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1172 posts
203 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
pswart wrote: Note that this is the Android version and completely different than what this deal is for (the Pro version, which is full Windows 8)
i just stole the thread coz did not find anything with the current deal. question is does it worth 125$+tax?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2784 posts
993 upvotes
Winnipeg
spiderman6 wrote: i just stole the thread coz did not find anything with the current deal. question is does it worth 125$+tax?
Fair enough. I'm not really sure, but I would definitely look up articles comparing it to the Nexus 7 before buying it.
Sep 5, 2008
772 posts
191 upvotes
Halifax
This tablet would be greatly improved if it supported pinch and zoom like features and if the keyboard would pop up when you tap a text entry field.

I upgraded mine to Win 8.1 Pro + media.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)