Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell XPS 15 + 4K OLED [Extended Cyber Monday] - $1999

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 12:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1251 posts
201 upvotes

[Dell] Dell XPS 15 + 4K OLED [Extended Cyber Monday] - $1999

This is a pretty HOT deal for the 4K Dell XPS 15 if any one is looking into one.

I picked up the Microsoft Store deal, 1TB/32GB/4K OLED for 2600 + 4Y Microsoft Warranty, and this is a better deal than that one.
21 replies
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
rraj2k9 wrote: This is a pretty HOT deal for the 4K Dell XPS 15 if any one is looking into one.

I picked up the Microsoft Store deal, 1TB/32GB/4K OLED for 2600 + 4Y Microsoft Warranty, and this is a better deal than that one.
This is non-touch display, 512GB SSD. 16GB RAM. The 4 year warranty on MS deal was also worth around 300-400. It's still a decent deal but between the two I think you make the right choice going with MS deal.
Newbie
Dec 5, 2012
89 posts
89 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I love my XPS 15, bought it in 2017. Its a beast, i will probably upgrade next year though, they will finally be redesigning it.
Sr. Member
Jun 26, 2007
900 posts
640 upvotes
Rahmonic wrote: I love my XPS 15, bought it in 2017. Its a beast, i will probably upgrade next year though, they will finally be redesigning it.
I'd avoid the redesign for the first 6 months minimum. I've bought several XPS laptops that were early build and they all had serious initial quality issues. Most recently I had a XPS 2015 that the GPU died after less than a month and it took 4 months for Dell to actually get around to fixing it. The one before that I had to send back the first 2 they sent me for serious issues and ended up keeping the third. I've learned my lesson, let other people deal with the problems until Dell fixes them.
Penalty Box
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6051 posts
2038 upvotes
needybot wrote: This is non-touch display, 512GB SSD. 16GB RAM. The 4 year warranty on MS deal was also worth around 300-400. It's still a decent deal but between the two I think you make the right choice going with MS deal.
4k oled touch display? I didn't know that they existed! Which is the better panel? How is the battery life in comparison?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1251 posts
201 upvotes
needybot wrote: This is non-touch display, 512GB SSD. 16GB RAM. The 4 year warranty on MS deal was also worth around 300-400. It's still a decent deal but between the two I think you make the right choice going with MS deal.
Yeah I like the MS deal better, if anything a real store to deal with for warranty and support, though have had two other Dells from Dell and never had any issues with them (with a 4 year old Inspiron 7000 still going strong).

But for any one looking into getting an XPS/premium laptop I think this one is a really good deal, since you are getting a 4K XPS for under 2K.

The only real question would be, for premium laptop buyers this or the base config 16 Macbook Pro
EDIT: NM - The base config 16 Macbook Pro is 3K. So this XPS still comes as a better deal for a Premium laptop.
Last edited by rraj2k9 on Dec 6th, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Jan 6, 2010
458 posts
512 upvotes
Montreal, QC
How do people feel about the XPS 15 vs the Surface Book 2 15?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1251 posts
201 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: 4k oled touch display? I didn't know that they existed! Which is the better panel? How is the battery life in comparison?
The 4K OLED from Microsoft is touch. If you are doing color accurate work the LCD is better out of the box. The OLED is way over-saturated even with the SRGB profile, and will require calibration.

Since I un-boxed it, I get about 5 - 6 hours doing light work (some light-room, youtube, browsing). Haven't pushed the battery yet. It's plugged in most of the time. But I would say you can get any where from 4 - 6 hours.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1251 posts
201 upvotes
Deriot wrote: How do people feel about the XPS 15 vs the Surface Book 2 15?
Surface Book 2 - Outdated Specs compared to the XPS 15. If you like the form factor I would wait for a refresh.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14978 posts
16023 upvotes
This is luke warm for an XPS.

You'll want to replace the 2 RAM sticks with 32GB or 64GB. You'll also want to replace the WiFi card with an Intel AX201NGW (or AX200NGW) WiFi 6 card.

The 1650 is the heaviest GPU you can fit before thermal issues start to bind.

The 4K panel is very strong.

I would never pay this much for a laptop, but it's not terrible.
Newbie
Oct 9, 2018
73 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Deriot wrote: How do people feel about the XPS 15 vs the Surface Book 2 15?
Surface book 2 15 felt really clunky and huge in my opinion due to the hinge design.
Xps 15 is better imo - once you replace the terrible wifi chip
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: 4k oled touch display? I didn't know that they existed! Which is the better panel? How is the battery life in comparison?
For touch I think it's a matter of preference but IMO even though it costs a bit more it's well worth the extra money. I like to scroll with my fingers while reading rather than fiddle with touchpad and scrollbars.

As for 4k OLED, I don't have first hand experience but I've read on multiple sites that it can half the rated battery life of similar spec laptops that use 1080p. I've read a couple of tricks people use to extend battery life though.

- switch to iGPU (integrated GPU on the processor which windows 10 has a setting for), when not doing heavy graphics related work.
- turn down the screen to half brightness while working. (On an OLED this shouldn't be a big deal because they are so bright)
- use dark mode in windows and in apps. This one is specifically OLED related because OLEDs aren't backlit.

Also one thing to consider with OLED (especially on a computer monitor).. screen burn-in. I've read the new generation of OLED computer monitors (mostly made by samsung) use an assortment of software tricks to avoid burn-in but I'd be careful about doing things like leaving windows taskbar always visible or using desktop icons.

I have a Lenovo P1 with 4k touch OLED on order so i'm going to find out (the Dell being another one I considered but P1 was more configurable). I use my laptop mostly for work so longer battery life makes more sense but I simply couldn't resist the gorgeous OLED.
Last edited by needybot on Dec 6th, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: This is luke warm for an XPS.

You'll want to replace the 2 RAM sticks with 32GB or 64GB. You'll also want to replace the WiFi card with an Intel AX201NGW (or AX200NGW) WiFi 6 card.

The 1650 is the heaviest GPU you can fit before thermal issues start to bind.

The 4K panel is very strong.

I would never pay this much for a laptop, but it's not terrible.
I think whether spending 2K plus on a laptop makes sense boils down to use case. If it's just for basic internet tasks and surfing it makes no sense unless someone has money to burn.. For someone using a laptop for both work and play (i.e. 8+ hours a day at least 5 days a week) then purely for productivity reasons it makes sense to get something that performs better.
Penalty Box
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6051 posts
2038 upvotes
needybot wrote: For touch I think it's a matter of preference but IMO even though it costs a bit more it's well worth the extra money. I like to scroll with my fingers while reading rather than fiddle with touchpad and scrollbars.

As for 4k OLED, I don't have first hand experience but I've read on multiple sites that it can half the rated battery life of similar spec laptops that use 1080p. I've read a couple of tricks people use to extend battery life though.

- switch to iGPU (integrated GPU on the processor which windows 10 has a setting for), when not doing heavy graphics related work.
- turn down the screen to half brightness while working. (On an OLED this shouldn't be a big deal because they are so bright)
- use dark mode in windows and in apps. This one is specifically OLED related because OLEDs aren't backlit.

Also one thing to consider with OLED (especially on a computer monitor).. screen burn-in. I've read the new generation of OLED computer monitors (mostly made by samsung) use an assortment of software tricks to avoid burn-in but I'd be careful about doing things like leaving windows taskbar always visible or using desktop icons.

I have a Lenovo P1 with 4k touch OLED on order so i'm going to find out (the Dell being another one I considered but P1 was more configurable). I use my laptop mostly for work so longer battery life makes more sense but I simply couldn't resist the gorgeous OLED.
I love the touch the big smooth screen and use it to navigate instead of the nipple (I have a touchscreen thinkpad) but I heard that the digitizer in the touchscreen takes an hour of two of battery life and it is already short because of 4k.

Isn't the computer supposed to automatically switch to igpu unless it's doing graphics intensive work? It should be automated and if not it would be a lot of hassle having to switch it back and forth imo.

The surface book 2 comes with autobrightness adjustment for the person who recommended it earlier in the thread.

I had the p1 with 4k touch oled too that I bought during last year's price error. I honestly couldn't tell the difference between that and my old 1440p screen on my x1 carbon 7th gen and the p1 had a lot of backlight bleed whereas my x1 carbon had absolutely none. Maybe I got a lemon and hopefully yours is better. The keyboard is miles ahead in the p1 though.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4713 posts
2629 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: 4k oled touch display? I didn't know that they existed! Which is the better panel? How is the battery life in comparison?
It doesn't in an XPS 15 as far as I know. I know the Spectre comes in a 4K OLED with touch and a few others that typically cost 3k+.
rraj2k9 wrote: The 4K OLED from Microsoft is touch. If you are doing color accurate work the LCD is better out of the box. The OLED is way over-saturated even with the SRGB profile, and will require calibration.

Since I un-boxed it, I get about 5 - 6 hours doing light work (some light-room, youtube, browsing). Haven't pushed the battery yet. It's plugged in most of the time. But I would say you can get any where from 4 - 6 hours.
The One MS sells isn't an OLED.

Top