Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Dell XPS 15 7590 15" OLED i7 16 GB $1709

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2020 11:45 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2006
502 posts
36 upvotes
Missisauga

[Dell] Dell XPS 15 7590 15" OLED i7 16 GB $1709

Was following the Thinkpad X1 Extreme Oled thread and found a similar dell from Dell.

Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650
15.6" 4K UHD Non-Touch display
256GB Solid State Drive
16GB, 2x8G Memory

$1899 from dell boxing day sale
10% cashback from Rakuten
= (1899 + tax) - 189.9 (rebate)

(Without knowing the tax region, simplified calculation: 1899 - 10%, ~1709 + tax roughly)

https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/3uf6


Touch screen LCD model from microsoft store ($1839):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/dell- ... verviewtab
Last edited by ronli_84 on Jan 2nd, 2020 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5129 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
For a "doorcrasher" deal, it's been running for almost a day now lol.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 7, 2003
2829 posts
612 upvotes
Ottawa
How s battery life with the 4K screen?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 7, 2011
663 posts
545 upvotes
British Columbia
dux wrote: How s battery life with the 4K screen?
Better than other laptops that are not OLED.
Jr. Member
Sep 26, 2016
113 posts
58 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
ronli_84 wrote: $1899 from dell boxing day sale
10% cashback from Rakuten
=1709 + tax
You pay tax on the full amount $1899, its actually: $1899 + tax - $189.9
Member
Sep 2, 2005
378 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
I was thinking about buying this, too bad one can't use the 10%/15% off coupon from Dell email signup, or $50 off $1000 coupon from Rakuten web page.
Sr. Member
Oct 11, 2015
621 posts
210 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
if i do not need the dedicated video card but looking for something with just good screen/colour comparable to Mac to do the photo editing, would this be a better idea than the Surface 3 laptop at $1500? (i5 for that and 256GB)
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 11, 2016
514 posts
496 upvotes
I have a feeling this spec will drop to below 1500$ within the next couple of months.
Sr. Member
Sep 29, 2008
932 posts
192 upvotes
Mississauga
If you are going to shell out almost 2k on a dell, might as well get a macbook pro 16 as its actually decent value for a change.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2006
502 posts
36 upvotes
Missisauga
Dell XPS 15 has some thermal limitation on its chassis, but I believe there were some BIOS update for this specific model that attempt to minimize this issue.

Google XPS 15 7590 BIOS 1.2.3

Though, dont expect this to compete fully against gaming focus laptops. But more of a relative thin and light machine for productivity, media consumption and light gaming.
Newbie
Nov 21, 2019
18 posts
3 upvotes
coffeebean wrote: The XPS 15 has been known to have cooling throttling and modern standby issues. Beware

what's going on with xps
Pretty much all thin and light laptops will throttle, but the modern standby issues are pretty much exclusive to the XPS lineup. Regardless, the XPS 15 has been considered one of the best thin and lights (even on the site you linked) for years now. The price is decent.
Member
Oct 1, 2017
277 posts
389 upvotes
motime wrote: If you are going to shell out almost 2k on a dell, might as well get a macbook pro 16 as its actually decent value for a change.
Indeed. Switched from an XPS 15 2-in-1 (which have their own problems with the trackpad and maglev keyboard) to a 16, couldn’t be happier.

I’ve had 3 XPS 15’s now. I wouldn’t buy one ever again. Every gen has had tons of problems. Thermal throttling is a major major issue on these, even with repasting.
Member
Dec 1, 2012
333 posts
373 upvotes
VANCOUVER
motime wrote: If you are going to shell out almost 2k on a dell, might as well get a macbook pro 16 as its actually decent value for a change.
Actually, more issues were reported on Mac book pro 16. From ghosting screen, pop speakers to extreme annoyance fan noisy. I knew, Apple has spend quite a fortunate on YouTube to hype the device. No media mentioned those problems beside complaints on popular Mac forums. Even Apple sort of admit that current 16 inch screen is sub par. They are working on an upgraded one for next year refresh model.

BTW: the cheapest Macbook 16 is 3360 after tax. This Dell XPS15 is 1937 after tax. The difference is 1433.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 9, 2006
2022 posts
421 upvotes
Waterloo
motime wrote: If you are going to shell out almost 2k on a dell, might as well get a macbook pro 16 as its actually decent value for a change.
No Macs are ever "decent value" compared to what else you can get or build yourself. It's just a matter if you're willing to pay the price premium.
| Fractal Design Meshify C | LG 27GL850 (2) | AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | MSI Gaming X Radeon 5700XT | 16GB G.SKill Trident Z RGB | ASUS ROG Strix B450 | XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 NVMe | Razer BlackWidow Elite | Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed |
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1265 posts
602 upvotes
Regina
motime wrote: If you are going to shell out almost 2k on a dell, might as well get a macbook pro 16 as its actually decent value for a change.
Not. You are not getting a 16 MBP for $2000 more like starting at $3000.
Last edited by waloshin on Dec 26th, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Jr. Member
Sep 14, 2007
162 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
To call anything without even permanent, physical "Home" "End" "PgUp" "PgDn" "Insert" "Delete" keys "Pro" is laughable. Sorry Dell XPS 15, you failed, too.

I tried to do coding on a wireless Apple Magic Keyboard and pulled my hair out. I had to hunt down a very old wired A1048, WITHOUT CHICLET KEYS, tear it down and clean it thoroughly. It was there that I saw true Apple quality.

Apple went from substance to style, and the rest of the industry copied it.
Sr. Member
Sep 29, 2008
932 posts
192 upvotes
Mississauga
chongsen wrote: Actually, more issues were reported on Mac book pro 16. From ghosting screen, pop speakers to extreme annoyance fan noisy. I knew, Apple has spend quite a fortunate on YouTube to hype the device. No media mentioned those problems beside complaints on popular Mac forums. Even Apple sort of admit that current 16 inch screen is sub par. They are working on an upgraded one for next year refresh model.

BTW: the cheapest Macbook 16 is 3360 after tax. This Dell XPS15 is 1937 after tax. The difference is 1433.
Apple has much better support though and the only macbook pro I ever bought was refurbished because its as good as new. I am just saying the xps is due for a major redesign and its at the end of its cycle. The new macbook actually addressed a lot of the issues people were complaining about with the trash macbook pros since 2016 and its actually decent value for money if you consider the performance, its got a better GPU than the dell as well. XPS has been the king for the past 4 years but honestly I would wait for the next iteration. The new mbp seems to be the best 15+ inch laptop right now. Point taken about the price difference still, its still substantial I agree but you do get a better machine which was hardly the case in the past despite the premium price.
Member
Dec 1, 2012
333 posts
373 upvotes
VANCOUVER
motime wrote: Apple has much better support though and the only macbook pro I ever bought was refurbished because its as good as new. I am just saying the xps is due for a major redesign and its at the end of its cycle. The new macbook actually addressed a lot of the issues people were complaining about with the trash macbook pros since 2016 and its actually decent value for money if you consider the performance, its got a better GPU than the dell as well. XPS has been the king for the past 4 years but honestly I would wait for the next iteration. The new mbp seems to be the best 15+ inch laptop right now. Point taken about the price difference still, its still substantial I agree but you do get a better machine which was hardly the case in the past despite the premium price.
I am usually not hesitate to pay apple tax due to their exceptional resale value, however it s not the case any more. Last four fiascos have damaged second hand market a lot. A brand new Mac book pro 15 2019 ended at less than 2000 on eBay. If Apple refreshes screen panel next year. Current 16 may end with the same result.

All advanced features Mac book 16 introduced, was due to its unbearable weight. A 2kg is more or less on light gaming device range. At its price tier I expect the performance on par with Razer blade 15, which hold a RTX2070.

Top