• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2017 12:39 pm
[OP]
Jun 2, 2011
144 posts
62 upvotes
Burnaby

[Dell] Dell Xps se 8910 1800$ Plus additIonal coupons

Pretty decent configured pic with a Gtx 1070 and an i7-6700k. Much more power than the acer desktop on sale for 1000$ a few days ago at bestbuy.
Coupon for additional 150$ off of the 1800$:
$150OFF$1700PC
11 replies
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
Ebates is also 10% right now
May 17, 2012
544 posts
390 upvotes
Montreal
FYI, I purchased a similarly specced system a month ago (i7-6700 non K however) or so and had to return it. Case is nice, price was very decent but the fan on this thing was RIDICULOUSLY loud. As in, I could not work next to this thing as the fan kept revving up, and down, and up ... And again ; so loud. The "swingout" type PSU is nice (taken from Alienwares) but the case is so small that I think it creates issues with air flow inside and makes things heat up... I didn't have a "K" CPU in mine but keep this in mind if you plan on overclocking this thing.

This being said ; mine wasn't the silver "special edition" 8910 and hopefully they changed the design/PSU/fans or something by now.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1328 posts
296 upvotes
bennyboy84 wrote: FYI, I purchased a similarly specced system a month ago (i7-6700 non K however) or so and had to return it. Case is nice, price was very decent but the fan on this thing was RIDICULOUSLY loud. As in, I could not work next to this thing as the fan kept revving up, and down, and up ... And again ; so loud. The "swingout" type PSU is nice (taken from Alienwares) but the case is so small that I think it creates issues with air flow inside and makes things heat up... I didn't have a "K" CPU in mine but keep this in mind if you plan on overclocking this thing.
I actually have 2 XPS 8910 PC's (one has a 6700 and the other with a 6700K processor). My first one (non-K) had the same loud revving fan issues that you mentioned, but the 2nd one (K processor, which should be hotter) didn't. I opened both up and found what the issue was: The power supply fan!
Well, I called up Dell, and they sent me a new power supply and now the PC is whisper quiet like the other one. Both have Nvidia 1070 GPU's in them, by the way. They're amazing PC's!!! In terms of cooling, they are very cool inside. Just a FYI.
May 17, 2012
544 posts
390 upvotes
Montreal
nambit wrote: I actually have 2 XPS 8910 PC's (one has a 6700 and the other with a 6700K processor). My first one (non-K) had the same loud revving fan issues that you mentioned, but the 2nd one (K processor, which should be hotter) didn't. I opened both up and found what the issue was: The power supply fan!
Well, I called up Dell, and they sent me a new power supply and now the PC is whisper quiet like the other one. Both have Nvidia 1070 GPU's in them, by the way. They're amazing PC's!!! In terms of cooling, they are very cool inside. Just a FYI.
Good to know, bought mine through Costco so opened the thing up, saw that it was doing this even with case open and a fan blowing air directly in the case ... I just packed this thing up and returned it. Assuming they are hopefully not using that PSU any longer in any 8910s, this is a fair deal then.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19720 posts
9171 upvotes
Oakville
harrylakers242424 wrote: Much more power than the acer desktop on sale for 1000$ a few days ago at bestbuy.
Well, I should hope so, at that price difference.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3271 posts
1007 upvotes
Thornhill
XPS 8920 using Kaby Lake should be released soon. User guide and service manual is already online, though it is not yet sold in their web site.
So we may see more deals for the 8910 as they clear the inventory.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2248 posts
638 upvotes
Maple
Any more thoughts on this?

its essentially 1649 +tax - about 160 from EBATES.

Im really thinking about it .
Aug 30, 2009
253 posts
96 upvotes
How does this one stack up against the other 8910 XPS? http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-8910-deskt ... 10-desktop

24GB RAM vs 16GB
256SSD vs 32cache
Much worse graphics card in 960 vs the 1070
BDRE vs DVD

I was able to get this one for $1800 (tax incl), about same price as this new SE edition. Main use for video/photo editing.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15174 posts
6580 upvotes
Ottawa
corcoran_chris wrote: Any more thoughts on this?

its essentially 1649 +tax - about 160 from EBATES.

Im really thinking about it .
it’s a good deal IMO.

I would stick at least a regular SSD as a programs drive

Don’t forget you also get 5% back as a Dell credit if you register for Dell Advantage.

The noisy power supply fan seemed to be a common problem but hopefully they aren’t shipping any new units out with that problem.

A new Kaby Lake version won’t really give you any advantage unless you really want to overclock, which in that case, you are way better going DIY with specialized cooling.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2248 posts
638 upvotes
Maple
Hey guys,

Here is an update. I think its a very HOT deal.

If you talk to chat, you may get lucky and get an additional discount applied to the order. I said I was a first time customer yada yada yada going through the motions. Then when it was time to pull the trigger asked if they could apply anything to the price to make it a little bit more attractive before I go through. He applied some special discount, then I applied the 150 code to him VIA CHAT. They then emailed me the quote outlining everything.

I ended up paying the following

$1737.53 AFTER TAX out the door shipped.

I received my ebates invoice of $165.00 pending.

then the dell advantage rewards of about 80 or so?

so out the door, after all discounts etc it cost about $$$ 1492

I dont know why this desktop isn't getting more attention.
Dec 7, 2013
819 posts
739 upvotes
Quebec
corcoran_chris wrote:
I dont know why this desktop isn't getting more attention.
Because AMD is going to shake things up on march 3rd with the Ryzen launch

Most people are willing to wait out a few weeks to see how things shape up after the launch (since shortly after, we'll get Vega news too).

Right now, you could get a 6C/12T Ryzen CPU that's about as powerfull as an i7 6900k for half the price (if we believe leaked prices/benchmarks).