Expired Hot Deals

Dell

Dell XPS Special Edition ( i7-11700 + 3060 Ti 8GB (LHR) +16GB, 16Gx1, DDR4, 2933MHz) for $1649 ($750 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2022 1:22 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14760 posts
6318 upvotes
Toronto, ON
crashxxx wrote: mine was supposed to ship today. I found another brand/model come into stock elsewhere that hasn't been in stock since the fall I think (lenovo). ordered that. cancelled this one.

here's the kicker..... lenovo also has cashback, which was showing in my rakuten within literally 4 min of completing my order. still haven't seen the cash back for the i9 xps delivered dec 16th. this is a CLEAR indication that it is in fact Dell that is the problem not confirming orders with rakuten and not rakuten holding out.
That’s been my experience with my recent purchases of Lenovo laptops during boxing week. The cash back is added much quicker compared with Dell purchases. If everything else being equal (specs and pricing) I’d rather purchase from Lenovo instead of Dell.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1303 posts
459 upvotes
Vancouver
Lol for the alienware is way overprice and is funny coz during the built option you can pick 2x 8gb RAM for $0 cost but the default option is 1 x 16GB of Ram. What were they thinking......
Aug 22, 2016
213 posts
138 upvotes
Montreal
rakuten wont give cashback for DELL neither LENOVO. buyer beware
Apr 3, 2015
15 posts
9 upvotes
Bobbyboosted wrote: rakuten wont give cashback for DELL neither LENOVO. buyer beware
I've gotten cashback from dell and lenovo via rakuten plenty of times.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2128 posts
837 upvotes
Ottawa
scorpion85 wrote: I got rakuten cash back for Dell yesterday
When was the purchase and what was the posted rakuten reward at the time of purchase?
yadda, yadda, yadda
Dec 7, 2020
394 posts
259 upvotes
pauldryan wrote: When was the purchase and what was the posted rakuten reward at the time of purchase?
I purchased on January 19 and forgot to activate through rakuten app but I contacted them two days later and showed them proof of purchase. They deposited my credit on that very evening. It was just 2% but still better than nothing Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 7, 2020
394 posts
259 upvotes
This deal is still running. I don’t know why OP put it in expired deals so soon 🤷‍♂️
Oct 15, 2016
25 posts
19 upvotes
Phisnarus wrote: I upgraded the NVMe to 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus .. updated my original post with the benchmark: dell-dell-xps-special-edition-i7-11700- ... #p35601942
Also choose to reinstall Windows 11 for a clean/fresh start, no bloatware :) NOW, I can finally sit back and enjoy all this machine has to offer
Thank you so much for your detailed posts. Very helpful. Do you have any guesses on what specific setting on BIOS caused performance increase?
Jun 29, 2009
174 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga
user3127 wrote: Thank you so much for your detailed posts. Very helpful. Do you have any guesses on what specific setting on BIOS caused performance increase?
No. It was on my mind to check into it but just went with the flow
Oct 15, 2016
25 posts
19 upvotes
So Phisnarus, I've ordered all these parts and trying to do this, (I got a non-K) but I have question about this.

"1 Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm Fan to add to the front/inside case in front of the U9S. You will move/remove the 3.5" HDD bay on the front. If you got a 3.5" HDD, you can just leave it in the cage and move the unit to where the top-mounted cage is"

When I look at the Reddit post, I see that guy is actually working on Dell G5 desktop. And it looks like it has vents on the front case from top to bottom. On Xps 8940, the top half is blocked off.

So I think, it totally makes sense to install intake fan on G5 at where the 3.5 HDD bay is, but for XPS 8940, that area is blocked off by front plastic cover. So, it's hard for me to imagine that a putting a fan here will have any benefits.

What do you think?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2128 posts
837 upvotes
Ottawa
user3127 wrote: So Phisnarus, I've ordered all these parts and trying to do this, (I got a non-K) but I have question about this.

"1 Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm Fan to add to the front/inside case in front of the U9S. You will move/remove the 3.5" HDD bay on the front. If you got a 3.5" HDD, you can just leave it in the cage and move the unit to where the top-mounted cage is"

When I look at the Reddit post, I see that guy is actually working on Dell G5 desktop. And it looks like it has vents on the front case from top to bottom. On Xps 8940, the top half is blocked off.

So I think, it totally makes sense to install intake fan on G5 at where the 3.5 HDD bay is, but for XPS 8940, that area is blocked off by front plastic cover. So, it's hard for me to imagine that a putting a fan here will have any benefits.

What do you think?
I followed the suggestion and installed both fans and also had concerns about front airflow. The problem is not just the plastic front; the box itself also has a smaller opening than the actual 120mm fan so airflow is compromised even before it hits the solid wall of plastic on the upper case front. I doubt if the 120 provides any more cooling in this instance than a 90mm would as suggested for the rear exhaust. I personally debated the merits of attaching the 120 fan to the four pin power splitter as opposed to leaving the exhaust fan on the three pin side of the splitter, unfortunately am quite clueless about setting up fan curves to ensure they all work in harmony.

I suspect that the money would be better spent on a heatsink for the VRM modules than on the expensive Noctura 120mm fan for the front.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Jun 29, 2009
174 posts
52 upvotes
Mississauga
user3127 wrote: So Phisnarus, I've ordered all these parts and trying to do this, (I got a non-K) but I have question about this.

What do you think?
For me, yes. It’s not a straight airflow-intake path like the G5 but it does bring in some external/internal air through the venting & air gap below/behind the casing to help create positive air-flow, and that’s what I was after.. expelling more air. Optimal? No, the metal case meshing where fans are plus the indirect path will inhibit but not prevent airflow.

Someone on Reddit increased positive airflow/dropped temps even more by clipping out the (metal) case meshing behind the fans. Thinking about it, it totally makes sense as the meshing on any box inhibits flow, and it’s hidden so you would not see it, but I’m not going all jankinstein yet :)
Dec 16, 2010
9 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Thanks for this!

I installed the noctua cpu cooler and the rear fan this evening. The system is much much cooler now and much quieter. One of the factory fans did not sound nice at all even at lower speeds.

I got the m3x16mm screws and washers here:

https://canadabolts.ca/
I'm not sure i needed the washers, but I put them on anyways.
Jun 6, 2013
75 posts
20 upvotes
Is anyone familiar with XPS 8930? would like to get cooling replaced for i7 8700 with no-K. is Noctua NH-U9S a good solution at the price of 74 or is there a cheaper one?