• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2021 11:00 am
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
206 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto

Dell Gaming Laptops - anyone?

Reaching out to see if anyone can share any feedback/comments/concerns with Dell gaming laptops:

Ie. Their Ryzen gaming laptop, or G15 models

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
I bought my daughter a G15, but i7 not Ryzen version. She's had it for about a month, seems fine. Lots of complaints from people about the look, feel, future reliability etc but honestly, it works for her and I don't see most of those issues as major ones, just more of the same as with any product. In other words nothing is perfect.
One issue I had was that the second M2 slot needs a small metal adapter to screw the drive down, which is not included. I had to order one off a third party seller because Dell didn't have any! Plus, they wanted to charge me ~$15 for the part, but trying to order it was I possible for me because the technician I spoke to didn't recognize that I needed one, or what it was, or that it was for a second drive... So not the most helpful person lol. In the end you can probably ignore the bracket and just use double sided tape to hold a second drive.
c'mon get happy!
Aug 13, 2019
526 posts
807 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: I bought my daughter a G15, but i7 not Ryzen version. She's had it for about a month, seems fine. Lots of complaints from people about the look, feel, future reliability etc but honestly, it works for her and I don't see most of those issues as major ones, just more of the same as with any product. In other words nothing is perfect.
One issue I had was that the second M2 slot needs a small metal adapter to screw the drive down, which is not included. I had to order one off a third party seller because Dell didn't have any! Plus, they wanted to charge me ~$15 for the part, but trying to order it was I possible for me because the technician I spoke to didn't recognize that I needed one, or what it was, or that it was for a second drive... So not the most helpful person lol. In the end you can probably ignore the bracket and just use double sided tape to hold a second drive.
I can second that double sided take thanks to his advice.. Works flawlessly for me.

I have the Ryzen g15 and loving it so far and zero issues. For the price I'm very happy
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
206 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! Dell is having a sale now...just wondering, if you don't mind, what did you pay for your's - did you upgrade to extra RAM along with a second storage?
Ausmack wrote: I can second that double sided take thanks to his advice.. Works flawlessly for me.

I have the Ryzen g15 and loving it so far and zero issues. For the price I'm very happy
Aug 13, 2019
526 posts
807 upvotes
Zebraman wrote: Thanks! Dell is having a sale now...just wondering, if you don't mind, what did you pay for your's - did you upgrade to extra RAM along with a second storage?
I paid 1349 but also got 8 percent I believe on Rakuten. I did upgrade the ram and ssd but only because I had bought the extra upgrades to update a g5 I bought and returned prior
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15958 posts
2575 upvotes
Have the G15 Ryzen edition. Only issue is the LED keyboard sometimes shuts itself off with a USB device error in Device Manager. Have to power cycle when that happens.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
Zebraman wrote: Thanks! Dell is having a sale now...just wondering, if you don't mind, what did you pay for your's - did you upgrade to extra RAM along with a second storage?
I used a 10% UniDays discount code. You need a kid's school-based email, but it doesn't have to be post-secondary, high school works also. I suspect elementary would also work, the way the system works I had to add my kids' school to their system, which makes me think it works for any school board email since that follows a kid through their elementary and HS career. I couldn't stack other offers to my order though, but some RFDers said they had luck with doing that previously.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
206 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone! I'm debating now which model to get now - there's the Ryzen series that uses the AMD chip vs the newer 11th Generation Intel:

Have a look at the link below for the Dell gaming options:

https://ibb.co/j62Qdw1
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
Zebraman wrote: Thanks everyone! I'm debating now which model to get now - there's the Ryzen series that uses the AMD chip vs the newer 11th Generation Intel:

Have a look at the link below for the Dell gaming options:

https://ibb.co/j62Qdw1
Since you're gaming, I'd consider 16gb of ram. You should compare the price of upgrading it off Dell vs. purchasing yourself. Also consider the RAM Dell provides is usually not the highest speed rated, and whether it is two sticks of 4 or one stick of 8. If it is one stick, you could buy a matching 8 GB yourself. Buying the RAM yourself would probably be cheaper.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Jul 31, 2008
206 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks - I was wondering if 8GB would be stretching it and definitely 16GB is what I'm used to using - I will probably add an additional SSD, and hearing about that ridiculous detail that Dell does not include the metal retainer and screw to hold the second SSD is completely ridiculous and aftermarket and Dell themselves selling it for $15?!?!? Absurd...