Google Nest Video doorbell sale @ Dell for $214 + sales tax, free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2020 4:32 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37043 posts
23016 upvotes
Center of Universe
mindabsence wrote: Seriously, are you a child? Because you're **** talking like one. GROW UP.

I also didn't ASSUME it didn't. When I owned a Ring and when I owned SmartThings, it did not. That has changed. I stand corrected. I can even stand corrected without having to turn to childish insults towards someone like you do.
Ok, we're good now... friends again?
I appreciate the DIYers, but let's not assume those that likes to spend a bit more, so they tinker less, aren't "hardcore".
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1037 posts
1851 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Ok, we're good now... friends again?
*handshake*
glad we could hash this out. Sending my RFDer love. Cheers mate.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21613 posts
1626 upvotes
Shanghai, China
I think the deal is dead. Dell is showing $299 once the item is added to the cart.
Dec 27, 2007
853 posts
597 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: I think the deal is dead. Dell is showing $299 once the item is added to the cart.
No, it’s still showing $229

CAD $229.00 Starting Price CAD $299.00
Save CAD $70.00
Ships 08-27-2020
Dec 27, 2007
853 posts
597 upvotes
I have home surveillance system that keeps the video footage. Just need to add a smart doorbell. Although I have Google home now but didn’t like it too much (buggy and confusing to me). I think Ring a cheaper option?

Ring Doorbell 3 with Echo Show 5 is $189 now on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/Ring-Video-Doorbe ... th=1&psc=1

Or Ring doorview + Echo dot for just $109
https://www.amazon.ca/Ring-Door-View-Ca ... th=1&psc=1
Feb 1, 2019
118 posts
160 upvotes
hiker007 wrote: No, it’s still showing $229

CAD $229.00 Starting Price CAD $299.00
Save CAD $70.00
Ships 08-27-2020
Did you try adding it to the cart? As soon as you add it to the cart the price changes to $299.
May 5, 2017
483 posts
178 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: Good as a visual thief deterrent.
This is a very expensive visual thief deterrent... Why is this so expensive if the codec sucks and you even need to pay more to even access the video? Are there smaller companies competing in this area?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1556 posts
896 upvotes
I'd say the footage quality is comparable, at best, to 480p. Unless the subject is within ~3ft, you will not be able to definitively recognize anyone. Might be me, but the video quality also seems to be worse now than when I first got it about 2 years ago. It's too bad local recording bypassing the cloud isn't an option with the Nest. I'm sure the hardware is capable of much more. I guess this is probably good enough to prove to a shipper that someone stole your package, but it would be nice to have something to look at to deter crime or shady behavior in the neighborhood.

The only doorbell I've seen with better quality is the Eufy doorbell camera (based on screenshots from online review). Unfortunately, like Ring, there is no 24/7 recording options unless you set it up locally.
elgordito wrote: This is a very expensive visual thief deterrent... Why is this so expensive if the codec sucks and you even need to pay more to even access the video? Are there smaller companies competing in this area?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1327 posts
1074 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Called Dell today, apparently its backordered so can't use my Amex credit for it. Kind of crappy that they never said it was backordered for the last week until they had to be asked.
Dec 25, 2018
603 posts
1079 upvotes
Anyone want mine haven’t even opened the dell box. Will sell at cost East Toronto lmk otherwise returning to dell
Nov 6, 2012
262 posts
358 upvotes
NORTH YORK
hiker007 wrote: I have home surveillance system that keeps the video footage. Just need to add a smart doorbell. Although I have Google home now but didn’t like it too much (buggy and confusing to me). I think Ring a cheaper option?

Ring Doorbell 3 with Echo Show 5 is $189 now on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/Ring-Video-Doorbe ... th=1&psc=1

Or Ring doorview + Echo dot for just $109
https://www.amazon.ca/Ring-Door-View-Ca ... th=1&psc=1
The only ring doorbell that worth considering is a Ring Pro.
But it needs to be hardwired.
All other ring doorbell versions and battery versions are junk.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7851 posts
8010 upvotes
sdmeller wrote: The only ring doorbell that worth considering is a Ring Pro.
But it needs to be hardwired.
All other ring doorbell versions and battery versions are junk.
Well that's rather 'harsh'.

What exactly makes ALL the other versions 'junk'?

My first gen Ring doorbell serves me very well, I certainly don't consider it 'junk'.
Nov 6, 2012
262 posts
358 upvotes
NORTH YORK
repatch wrote: Well that's rather 'harsh'.

What exactly makes ALL the other versions 'junk'?

My first gen Ring doorbell serves me very well, I certainly don't consider it 'junk'.
There two huge advantages of Ring Pro:
1) 4 seconds preroll - camera constantly takes video and saves 4 seconds before the motion sensor was triggered.
Otherwise only Ring 3 Plus has 4 seconds preroll option, but it will record lower quality, black and white video without sound. And preroll won't work at night (will work with Ring Pro).
2) Advanced motion zones - only Ring Pro lets you "draw" zones that trigger the camera. Lets say you have a tree in front of your house, its branches can trigger the doorbell when it's windy, with Ring Pro you can draw "ignore" area around tree. All other Ring doorbells have simple segments zones, where you just can tell camera how far it should focus.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7851 posts
8010 upvotes
sdmeller wrote: There two huge advantages of Ring Pro:
1) 4 seconds preroll - camera constantly takes video and saves 4 seconds before the motion sensor was triggered.
Otherwise only Ring 3 Plus has 4 seconds preroll option, but it will record lower quality, black and white video without sound. And preroll won't work at night (will work with Ring Pro).
2) Advanced motion zones - only Ring Pro lets you "draw" zones that trigger the camera. Lets say you have a tree in front of your house, its branches can trigger the doorbell when it's windy, with Ring Pro you can draw "ignore" area around tree. All other Ring doorbells have simple segments zones, where you just can tell camera how far it should focus.

Thanks for describing the differences, which I already knew about.

So, it's your claim that without those features these things are 'junk'? I'm glad you're the ruler of the planet to tell everybody that.

I have gotten great utility of my gen 1 unit, an haven't seen a reason to upgrade from that 'junk'.
Apr 6, 2003
435 posts
80 upvotes
Ottawa
Installed mine today. Very happy so far!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)