• Feb 17th, 2014 4:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 26, 2009
170 posts
43 upvotes
Stittsville

[Dell] Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series Touch Laptop US$299 - US

I have been looking for low end small form factor portable laptop and this one seems to fit the criteria for a good price, although US only.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
but how can we buy it in canada?
Feb 8, 2004
70 posts
21 upvotes
I've been looking at this, too, as a small travel computer. The processor in that one is pretty low powered (Celeron N2815), I'm not sure if it'll be an awful lot of use, but for occasional use it's probably ok. I don't have any experience with it, though, I'm just guessing from it's benchmarks. They have another version on the US Dell site with a Pentium 3556U that's much better, but not on sale, $379.99 regular price, and only on the US store.

The best option in Canada seems to be through the Microsoft Store, they have the old configuration of these with a Celeron 2955U for CDN$349. Unfortunately it's only got 2GB of RAM. I've read that these are pretty good if you upgrade the RAM to 4GB+ and add an SSD.

It sounds like the main thing to be wary of with this model is the touchpad, people who have upgraded to Win8.1 find them a bit flaky. Luckily it's got a touchscreen ;-) Otherwise they seem to be pretty good for the price/form factor.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8262 posts
8606 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
owain wrote: I've been looking at this, too, as a small travel computer. The processor in that one is pretty low powered (Celeron N2815), I'm not sure if it'll be an awful lot of use, but for occasional use it's probably ok. I don't have any experience with it, though, I'm just guessing from it's benchmarks. They have another version on the US Dell site with a Pentium 3556U that's much better, but not on sale, $379.99 regular price, and only on the US store.

The best option in Canada seems to be through the Microsoft Store, they have the old configuration of these with a Celeron 2955U for CDN$349. Unfortunately it's only got 2GB of RAM. I've read that these are pretty good if you upgrade the RAM to 4GB+ and add an SSD.

It sounds like the main thing to be wary of with this model is the touchpad, people who have upgraded to Win8.1 find them a bit flaky. Luckily it's got a touchscreen ;-) Otherwise they seem to be pretty good for the price/form factor.
What ^^^ said. This CPU only gets a passmark score of 891. The other two CPUs mentioned will make a night and day difference. This is basically an extension of the only crappy atoms from the netbook era 3+ years ago. Spend the extra $ for those upgraded models even it's it's just for basic browsing.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4849 upvotes
Here 'n There
I run up to 5-6 programs with the 2GB ram I have on my 5 yo Vostro 1520 with a Celeron processor with no problem. As for the touchpad you can just get a wireless mouse. I find them a lot easier to use anyway.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)