Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Labor Day Sale $1133 Special Edition XPS i5-11400, 3060 Ti, 8GB Ram

Sep 18, 2010
184 posts
155 upvotes
Canada
Oh dang they're finally switching to LHR cards eh. Well Dell systems have been a fun ride, anywhere from $200-$600 profit per PC.
Oct 29, 2006
571 posts
64 upvotes
Ottawa
alkaint wrote: I’m sure it’s pretty accurate. They would have to make sure people who ordered that isn’t stated LHR would have to get those models. If yours has LHR you might be SOL, up until a certain time last night you could order non-lhr through a loophole but seems they only have LHR in the xps models now. Alienware seems to still have non-lhr though but the price is not worth it.
dm sent
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4610 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
forevergone wrote: since they're in abundance you could easily get them on the cheap and then throw in a slightly older graphics card and get a steal of a machine. All you really need to do is add a CPU cooler to manage the temps and that's it.
Yeah, that was exactly my thought. You don't actually need a replacement GPU. Almost all ship with processors with an integrated GPU (exception: k or f suffix processors).

First blow: the HDMI port driven by the iGPU is only HDMI 1.4, not 2.x.

Second blow: the first Gamer's Nexus review shows how shoddy and non-standard the system build is. I cannot explain it better than GN does. This XPS is not something I want to own.

I bought my current desktop 8 years ago. An HP Envy ("Envy" was a premium consumer brand like "XPS"). I was able to upgrade the GPU and RAM and add an SSD over the years, keeping it very productive. The improvements since the Haswell generation of processors have been modest. I would consider a cheap upgrade, like the XPS, but only if it were well built.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1666 posts
2661 upvotes
Just wondering how much the XPS PC is worth if I just kept the GPU. Any estimate on value of the PC without the GPU? $600-800? Just wondering if it's a better deal to pull the GPU or a better deal if I can find a one at retail. Someone posted that Nvidia 3060ti FE is $550 @ BB whenever they drop. Mem Express has the EVGA 3060ti for $660.
Mar 7, 2019
239 posts
269 upvotes
divx wrote: if anyone gets this rig in winnipeg/regina/saskatoon just to harvest the gpu, I would be interested in purchasing the rig sans gpu.
How much would you pay?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4610 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
frugalcanuck wrote: Just wondering how much the XPS PC is worth if I just kept the GPU. Any estimate on value of the PC without the GPU? $600-800? Just wondering if it's a better deal to pull the GPU or a better deal if I can find a one at retail. Someone posted that Nvidia 3060ti FE is $550 @ BB whenever they drop. Mem Express has the EVGA 3060ti for $660.
I'm no expert. Look at KiJiJi for asking prices. Some listings have been there for a month. There's a chance that those listers have several systems.

The details matter: 10th gen vs 11th; i5 vs i7; amount of RAM, SSD, HDD; HST; discount codes.

Some care a lot about LHR Nvidia GPUs. LHR halves hash rates for cryptomining. BB and ME will only sell LHR; Dell has been selling non-LHR. Half the hash rate means half the mining (I think) so less than half the value.
Sep 25, 2007
182 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
I ordered mine on Wed and the packing slip shows 490-BGJU. That should be the non LHR correct?
Oct 24, 2009
998 posts
1033 upvotes
Vancouver
Called to cancel my LHR order today and got offered $100. Still cancelled as really not that much more performance than my Series X but good discount for those buying this just to game.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1188 posts
221 upvotes
number8888 wrote: Finding the spare m3 screws are probably the hardest part when it comes to replacing the cooler.

An alternative is to find a cooler then you can just screw directly on to the backplate. Unfortunately this rules out most of the tower coolers that also meet the height restrictions. I wind up getting this which is an improvement over the stock Dell heatsink and good enough for my 10400F (and likely the 11400 as well):
https://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-RR- ... Z11F&psc=1
it screws in directly to dell g5/xps 8940 with no modding then?
Last edited by Guest2858867 on Sep 10th, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2765 posts
3352 upvotes
Will it ever be figured out at some point on how to mod the firmware to remove the LHR restriction?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7644 posts
4334 upvotes
Debtario
Hugh wrote: Yeah, that was exactly my thought. You don't actually need a replacement GPU. Almost all ship with processors with an integrated GPU (exception: k or f suffix processors).

First blow: the HDMI port driven by the iGPU is only HDMI 1.4, not 2.x.

Second blow: the first Gamer's Nexus review shows how shoddy and non-standard the system build is. I cannot explain it better than GN does. This XPS is not something I want to own.

I bought my current desktop 8 years ago. An HP Envy ("Envy" was a premium consumer brand like "XPS"). I was able to upgrade the GPU and RAM and add an SSD over the years, keeping it very productive. The improvements since the Haswell generation of processors have been modest. I would consider a cheap upgrade, like the XPS, but only if it were well built.
That's exactly what killed this for me - the proprietary nature and terrible design. I was tempted to jump on a XPS 8940 posted by a member in the BST, but after looking at reviews about the shitty cooling solution, slow stock RAM, and proprietary motherboard and power supply I gave it a hard pass. I tend to keep my hardware for a long time (>5 years) and the non-standard nature, particularly the power supply, is a no-go. I have stayed away from proprietary Dell/HP BS for over 15 years, told myself never again.

Still rocking an i5-4670 here without issues as well, Haswell has aged very well IMHO.
frugalcanuck wrote: Just wondering how much the XPS PC is worth if I just kept the GPU. Any estimate on value of the PC without the GPU? $600-800? Just wondering if it's a better deal to pull the GPU or a better deal if I can find a one at retail. Someone posted that Nvidia 3060ti FE is $550 @ BB whenever they drop. Mem Express has the EVGA 3060ti for $660.
Looking at Kijiji and the BST here, seems the PC alone is hard to sell even at $400
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1666 posts
2661 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: .

Still rocking an i5-4670 here without issues as well, Haswell has aged very well IMHO.

Looking at Kijiji and the BST here, seems the PC alone is hard to sell even at $400
Heh, my PC is 9yrs old with an i5 3570k and 16gb. For day to day stuff windows flies. With win11 requirements of secure boot and TPM it prompted a look at upgrade. I realize I can work around these requirements but have parts to put together a ryzen 5 5600x and thought it'd be good to pair a 3060ti.

If value of the xps less GPU isn't much maybe I'll cancel my order. I don't want to be paying for a $1K gpu.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1023 posts
1120 upvotes
Would anyone like a 10% off code? I have an extra. PM me
Dec 8, 2019
211 posts
348 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Looking at Kijiji and the BST here, seems the PC alone is hard to sell even at $400
Yep, I got one of these “harvested” XPSes off Facebook for $400. Gave to family as inexpensive home PC. iGPU is sufficient for that, it's cheaper than DIY, and comes with a Windows license.

Still a reliable way to get a GPU, but yeah don't expect to get too much $$ back reselling the rest of the computer.
sswilson wrote: Assuming this is essentially the same internals as the G5 Desktops, the bequiet pure rock slim 2 is about as close to a drop-in replacement as you can get (need to have some m3 screws kicking around).
Made the same mod with a CoolerMaster Hyper T2, and some M3 10mm screws + washers from Canadian Tire. Cost around $30 and is a huge improvement over the stock cooler.

Also replaced the rear fan with a 92mm ($10), added an NVMe SSD (you'll need to find a M.2 screw), and added extra stick of RAM. For RAM, look for OEM models from HK Hynix, Samsung, Micron, etc. on Facebook, Kijiji, eBay, etc., which has built in JEDEC timings.
Images
  • IMG_6830.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1607 posts
1521 upvotes
Moncton
kevinkuo wrote: Made the same mod with a CoolerMaster Hyper T2, and some M3 10mm screws + washers from Canadian Tire. Cost around $30 and is a huge improvement over the stock cooler.

Also replaced the rear fan with a 92mm ($10), added an NVMe SSD (you'll need to find a M.2 screw), and added extra stick of RAM. For RAM, look for OEM models from HK Hynix, Samsung, Micron, etc. on Facebook, Kijiji, eBay, etc., which has built in JEDEC timings.
The T2 was the replacement that most often came up during google searches for modding these cases, but when I did my mod they weren't available (again at non-third party scalping prices) so I jumped on the bequiet when it came up for sale at B&H.

I did 120mm + 80mm front (after removing the HDD caddy and GPU brace) as well as the 3D printed 120mm rear mod I posted earlier. I did a "build log" over on Hardware Canucks.....

https://hardwarecanucks.com/forum/threa ... ter.83475/
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37678 posts
5426 upvotes
Winnipeg
RFDGuy123 wrote: How much would you pay?
Based on BST selling of the same spec except with 512gb M.2 SSD, I'm thinking about $360 pick up. I assume this i5 also have iGPU for use as an office machine at least. @iamsiege I would take your rig but didn't want to have it shipped. Unless somehow you come to MB/SK which I can pick it up.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37678 posts
5426 upvotes
Winnipeg
sneaky wrote: Not even an SSD in them now, wtf... Dell is really milking people hard who want the original binned OEM full hashrate die cards. Weasels.
yeah the lack of SSD does annoy me too
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4610 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: yeah the lack of SSD does annoy me too
No, that's good. You can add one after you get the system:
  • you get to choose the size, performance, and brand of the SSD
  • it will most likely be much less expensive than Dell's marked up price
I like having both an HDD and an SSD. I use the HDD for quick backups and for bulk storage. (In my experience, SSDs more often fail catastrophically than HDDs.)

I find it easy to install an SSD and to install software there (for me, that's Linux). You may need to supply a little pan-head m2 (or perhaps m3) screw. I would guess that a clean installation of Windows on the SSD is better than transferring the one on the HDD.
Last edited by Hugh on Sep 12th, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 29, 2011
12 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO

The internals of this is the same just the case have a CD/DVD slot that they force you to get if you want a more powerful PSU that's higher than 360w.

As everyone been saying the parts they use are all proprietary and I the BIOS is locked but I bought lower end one during last sale still because of the price and really needed to upgrade my 10 year old rig i5 3570k with a 1050.

If you really need a new desktop PC I would try and sign up for a business account and use all the coupon codes that works and you get to really customized every parts needed compared to the regular consumer site.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3021 posts
1450 upvotes
Are pc gaming prices that bad that people are excited to pay this much on SALE for dead tech HDD and only 8GB of ram?

How much would it cost to build this thing to these specs?

I haven’t followed pricing in a long time, but if this is where we are I’ll just be content with my Series X and throw money towards a new tv and AVR instead of this money dumpster.