Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Labor Day Sale $1133 Special Edition XPS i5-11400, 3060 Ti, 8GB Ram

Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7046 posts
1591 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jeff69dini wrote: it screws in directly to dell g5/xps 8940 with no modding then?
Yep. Screws in directly to the existing holes used for by the OEM cooler.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37727 posts
5470 upvotes
Winnipeg
ph00p wrote: Are pc gaming prices that bad that people are excited to pay this much on SALE for dead tech HDD and only 8GB of ram?
How much would it cost to build this thing to these specs?
I haven’t followed pricing in a long time, but if this is where we are I’ll just be content with my Series X and throw money towards a new tv and AVR instead of this money dumpster.
price isn't that bad considering how hard to get gpu these days, not saying i like it.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37727 posts
5470 upvotes
Winnipeg
frugalcanuck wrote: Heh, my PC is 9yrs old with an i5 3570k and 16gb. For day to day stuff windows flies. With win11 requirements of secure boot and TPM it prompted a look at upgrade. I realize I can work around these requirements but have parts to put together a ryzen 5 5600x and thought it'd be good to pair a 3060ti.
If value of the xps less GPU isn't much maybe I'll cancel my order. I don't want to be paying for a $1K gpu.
i'm using 4930k so no win11 for me but i'm not sure i care for win11, definitely won't compel me to upgrade just for that.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37727 posts
5470 upvotes
Winnipeg
kevinkuo wrote: Yep, I got one of these “harvested” XPSes off Facebook for $400. Gave to family as inexpensive home PC. iGPU is sufficient for that, it's cheaper than DIY, and comes with a Windows license.

Still a reliable way to get a GPU, but yeah don't expect to get too much $$ back reselling the rest of the computer.

Made the same mod with a CoolerMaster Hyper T2, and some M3 10mm screws + washers from Canadian Tire. Cost around $30 and is a huge improvement over the stock cooler.

Also replaced the rear fan with a 92mm ($10), added an NVMe SSD (you'll need to find a M.2 screw), and added extra stick of RAM. For RAM, look for OEM models from HK Hynix, Samsung, Micron, etc. on Facebook, Kijiji, eBay, etc., which has built in JEDEC timings.
it doesn't even come with a M.2 screw? oh wow
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37727 posts
5470 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hugh wrote: No, that's good. You can add one after you get the system:
  • you get to choose the size, performance, and brand of the SSD
  • it will most likely be much less expensive than Dell's marked up price
I like having both an HDD and an SSD. I use the HDD for quick backups and for bulk storage. (In my experience, SSDs more often fail catastrophically than HDDs.)

I find it easy to install an SSD and to install software there (for me, that's Linux). You may need to supply a little pan-head m2 screw. I would guess that a clean installation of Windows on the SSD is better than transferring the one on the HDD.
the idea of buying OEM is not to do any extra work on the hardware...
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2003
1453 posts
158 upvotes
Anyway to get this deal still? Couldn't find it on the page. Looks like it comes with a lhr card now?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2009
1390 posts
416 upvotes
ph00p wrote: Are pc gaming prices that bad that people are excited to pay this much on SALE for dead tech HDD and only 8GB of ram?

How much would it cost to build this thing to these specs?

I haven’t followed pricing in a long time, but if this is where we are I’ll just be content with my Series X and throw money towards a new tv and AVR instead of this money dumpster.
It's all about the graphics card / GPU. Everything else is more expensive than building your own:

Rough approximate pricing of retail parts:

CPU = $240
Motherboard = $120
RAM = $50
Hard Drive = $50
Case = $40
Power Supply = $40
= $540

Leaving you like $500 for a graphics card (and Windows 10 if thats an issue).

The problem is you can't get an RTX 3060 of any sort for $500 these days without tremendous luck and/or effort (like lining up at 6am at Best Buy for a once a month restock). Heck you can't even get older GTX1660 for $500. You could at best get a 4GB GTX 1650 with $500.

So it starts to become worth it to get a Dell like this one primarily for the graphics card.
Jan 7, 2007
176 posts
122 upvotes
Is the Coolermaster a big improvement over the stock 10400 cooler? Any issues with BIOS warning?

Which Noctua case fan did you use?

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3021 posts
1450 upvotes
jetfire33 wrote: It's all about the graphics card / GPU. Everything else is more expensive than building your own:

Rough approximate pricing of retail parts:

CPU = $240
Motherboard = $120
RAM = $50
Hard Drive = $50
Case = $40
Power Supply = $40
= $540

Leaving you like $500 for a graphics card (and Windows 10 if thats an issue).

The problem is you can't get an RTX 3060 of any sort for $500 these days without tremendous luck and/or effort (like lining up at 6am at Best Buy for a once a month restock). Heck you can't even get older GTX1660 for $500. You could at best get a 4GB GTX 1650 with $500.

So it starts to become worth it to get a Dell like this one primarily for the graphics card.
Wow, this is a bleak time for pc gaming.

I went and looked at a few sites for the price of GPUs myself after I posted this, the PC gaming world has gone nuts, these prices have to be out of whack, I know they claim it’s the mining, but then it’s also the supply and demand bull too having them jack up the prices. Looks like it’s the good old Series X for me for a while yet.

Thank you for the parts breakdown.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1611 posts
1524 upvotes
Moncton
erictho wrote: Is the Coolermaster a big improvement over the stock 10400 cooler? Any issues with BIOS warning?

Thanks,
I'd strongly recommend folks tackle the Dell fan profile software before they worry about upgrading the cooler. The default profile on my G5 5000 was set stupidly low with both the CPU and case fans topping out @ somewhere around 50%CPU/40%Case fan RPM with a full CPU + GPU load. I didn't test prior to adding the extra fans, but with those installed I wasn't seeing any throttling under full load even with the stock CPU fan.

That said, the improvement with the bequiet using the "performance" setting in the dell software was 12C with a slightly lower full load fan speed on the bequiet (60% vice 64%).
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7046 posts
1591 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
erictho wrote: Is the Coolermaster a big improvement over the stock 10400 cooler? Any issues with BIOS warning?

Thanks,
If you are talking about the one I posted before the real improvement is less noise at the same load. Performance wise it lowers temperature a few degrees but nothing special. Even with the stock cooler it never goes higher than 70C during my tests anyway since the CPU is limited to ~95W by default, but the included cooler and case fans do get rather noisy.

Gonna need a tower cooler if you want a bigger improvement but I don't think it's needed for a non-k Core-i5 cpu.

I wind up replacing the case fan with an Arctic F9 (much cheaper than a Noctua A9). Again this reduce the noise a lot while increasing the airflow.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37727 posts
5470 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hugh wrote: No, that's good. You can add one after you get the system:
  • you get to choose the size, performance, and brand of the SSD
  • it will most likely be much less expensive than Dell's marked up price
I like having both an HDD and an SSD. I use the HDD for quick backups and for bulk storage. (In my experience, SSDs more often fail catastrophically than HDDs.)

I find it easy to install an SSD and to install software there (for me, that's Linux). You may need to supply a little pan-head m2 (or perhaps m3) screw. I would guess that a clean installation of Windows on the SSD is better than transferring the one on the HDD.
dell doesn't make ssd so whatever they rebrand is fine
WTB amazon gc @90%
Oct 29, 2006
571 posts
64 upvotes
Ottawa
Just wondering how people see the actual model # of the GPU... (ie. 490-BHIW, 490-BGJU) ?

Is this only after you place the order or can you see it before you checkout?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1668 posts
2662 upvotes
devastata wrote: Just wondering how people see the actual model # of the GPU... (ie. 490-BHIW, 490-BGJU) ?

Is this only after you place the order or can you see it before you checkout?
after you place your order, Dell provides a packing list of individual components. The newer ads were showing LHR as well.
Oct 29, 2006
571 posts
64 upvotes
Ottawa
frugalcanuck wrote: after you place your order, Dell provides a packing list of individual components. The newer ads were showing LHR as well.
Ah ok, i'm assuming if you placed an order and it didn't say LHR, and then they shipped an LHR card, you'd be able to return without hassle?
Oct 29, 2006
571 posts
64 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone know why the product code is different if you're building an Alienware R12.

For the 3060Ti it says : 490-BGKQ
For the 3080 it says : 490-BGKM

can someone confirm if those are LHR or not?

Thanks!
Sep 6, 2009
826 posts
1461 upvotes
devastata wrote: Does anyone know why the product code is different if you're building an Alienware R12.

For the 3060Ti it says : 490-BGKQ
For the 3080 it says : 490-BGKM

can someone confirm if those are LHR or not?

Thanks!
Alienware LHR cards now also explicitly say as such. For example: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 LHR.

If you order a week ago or before that, you are likely to get a non-LHR variant. I hope.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2487 posts
2071 upvotes
Surrey
got shipping notice for my dell with the rx 5700 but the one with the 3060 ti (supposedly non-lhr) is still at confirmed