• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2017 11:23 pm
[OP]
Dec 30, 2013
147 posts
59 upvotes
Bradford

Dell Laptop Feedback

Hi RFD, I'm not a computer guy by any means. My current desktop is running 12 year old tech thus I've been looking to replace her for a little while now. My wife has told me the next must be a laptop (queue whip gifs).

There is a Dell laptop on sale today that I would appreciated your feedback on: http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-lap ... tsb1_s404e

Inspiron 15 5000
i7-7700HQ
8GB 2400 DDR4
GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5
128GB SSD + 1TB 5400
$1,049.99 (after $50 off coupon applied)
In addition ebates.ca is offering 15% cashback

Any feedback you have on this would be great.

Kind regards,
Marco
Last edited by paqua17 on Aug 25th, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Oct 18, 2004
383 posts
248 upvotes
Windsor
Hi Marco, what's the intended use of the laptop? Depending on your timeline and what you are desiring to do, you could save yourself half the cost after taxes.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2013
147 posts
59 upvotes
Bradford
LaZeRACED wrote: Hi Marco, what's the intended use of the laptop? Depending on your timeline and what you are desiring to do, you could save yourself half the cost after taxes.
Hi LaZeRACED, good question. I don't do much with the computer myself. Have a couple of Steam games I play. Outside that a little bit of word processing and Excel spreadsheet work. Nothing that really requires significant power. Looking to invest in a computer that can be used for the next 5 years for my kids (eldest is 12). They are just getting into video games and I don't expect to to cool down.
Oct 18, 2004
383 posts
248 upvotes
Windsor
Gaming makes any system much more costly; especially when considering on doing it on a laptop where upgrading is usually limited to the hard drive and ram and the video card is the mobile version of the superior desktop cards. If I can't sway you to reconsidering at getting a dedicated gaming platform such as a PlayStation or Xbox, expect that while today's purchase will allow you to play the latest games at decent Frames per second, in a few years time it certainly won't be the case. That's not to say you won't be able to play games in 2022 but you won't be playing them on settings like you did in 2017.

All that aside, regarding the deal you posted it's decent for what I can find online right now. However, bear in mind that you could have recently got a better built Lenovo Y720 for around the same price with a 6GB GTX 1060 graphics card
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/lenovo- ... 5-2112937/ but don't let me dissuade you on what you missed. As long as you understand the limitations on gaming on a laptop then by all means pull the trigger.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2013
147 posts
59 upvotes
Bradford
Thanks LaZeRACED, I'll wait a bit longer for a deal then.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2209 posts
1079 upvotes
Saint John
That Lenovo Y720 deal was a borderline price error with people accessing an employee purchase plan they weren't supposed to be able to. $1000 for a GTX 1060 laptop is way below the normal sale price.

Amazing deal that people were lucky to get in on - don't hold your breath waiting for another one that good.

$900ish for a GTX 1050 laptop with an SSD is not a bad deal. If you want something that will game a bit better for a bit longer, you might be able to get a 1050 Ti machine for not much more.

Curious as to why your wife is insisting on a laptop when you guys have had a desktop for 12 years, and since this will be a family computer (i.e. staying in your home). Laptops are great for mobile productivity but they kinda suck for video games. They're expensive and loud, have small screens, and tend to be unreliable due to heat issues. You could get a nice budget gaming desktop in a small form factor with a decent 22 or 23 inch monitor for the same price.