Is the Dell laptop good? Please help a noob

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 6:01 pm
12 replies
Sep 30, 2020
84 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Congrats on the purchase! Always exciting. Whether any given hardware is "good" is probably pretty subjective to how you plan to use it. :) i.e. How well does it meet your needs? If it sails through your needs, you'll find it great - if it always leaves you a bit cold, you'll know what to look for in a few years when you replace this model.

Can you give us some information on how you plan to use it? Gaming? Photo/video editing? Music production/recording? Any other kind of content creation? Or a general student machine? Light surfing, apps, etc.? Or work-from-home machine for a workplace ("bring your own device")? You can also check out, say, Techradar or other sites' reviews of this model. Someone here at RFD might have the same model (or a similar one) and can point out what they like or don't like, but if you could expand a bit on your needs that it's filling that might help spur the conversation on. :)
Sep 30, 2020
84 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Link doesn't work for me so don't know the specs. If you made a thread to ask about it then i'm starting to think no haha.
The OP's link (try this format) is okay for me! :) But here's the graphic of its high-level specs.
Images
  • Dell15.jpg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1344 posts
451 upvotes
YYC
CasualCauli wrote: The OP's link (try this format) is okay for me! :) But here's the graphic of its high-level specs.
Yes this is the one! Thank you Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1344 posts
451 upvotes
YYC
CasualCauli wrote: Congrats on the purchase! Always exciting. Whether any given hardware is "good" is probably pretty subjective to how you plan to use it. :) i.e. How well does it meet your needs? If it sails through your needs, you'll find it great - if it always leaves you a bit cold, you'll know what to look for in a few years when you replace this model.

Can you give us some information on how you plan to use it? Gaming? Photo/video editing? Music production/recording? Any other kind of content creation? Or a general student machine? Light surfing, apps, etc.? Or work-from-home machine for a workplace ("bring your own device")? You can also check out, say, Techradar or other sites' reviews of this model. Someone here at RFD might have the same model (or a similar one) and can point out what they like or don't like, but if you could expand a bit on your needs that it's filling that might help spur the conversation on. :)
I actually bought it for my wife cause she is going back to school. It will probably most be used for windows office, YouTube and mostly just surfing. No gaming
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1169 posts
759 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Importz wrote: I actually bought it for my wife cause she is going back to school. It will probably most be used for windows office, YouTube and mostly just surfing. No gaming
For what your wife will use it for, it is more than sufficient (in fact, I would say it is overkill).

That being said, when I purchased a Dell computer in the past and had warranty work back then, I found their service to be very good. I don't know if things have changed with their support but for me when the original hard drive was making clicking noises (and not the standard hard drive noise), from what I remember they sent me a replacement hard drive and I sent the old hard drive back to them. As mentioned, this was a long time ago so it might no longer apply today
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1344 posts
451 upvotes
YYC
lmcjipo wrote: For what your wife will use it for, it is more than sufficient (in fact, I would say it is overkill).

That being said, when I purchased a Dell computer in the past and had warranty work back then, I found their service to be very good. I don't know if things have changed with their support but for me when the original hard drive was making clicking noises (and not the standard hard drive noise), from what I remember they sent me a replacement hard drive and I sent the old hard drive back to them. As mentioned, this was a long time ago so it might no longer apply today
Awesome! Thank you
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4466 posts
1043 upvotes
Importz wrote: It will probably most be used for windows office, YouTube and mostly just surfing. No gaming
Realistically, even laptops from 6+ years ago can do all that without issue. MS Office and web surfing really don't require much processor or memory resources. Of course your quality of life would be enhanced by having a modern notebook like the one you purchased where its performance is better.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33227 posts
6905 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Mulder and Scully wrote: Realistically, even laptops from 6+ years ago can do all that without issue. MS Office and web surfing really don't require much processor or memory resources. Of course your quality of life would be enhanced by having a modern notebook like the one you purchased where its performance is better.
Sure, if it hasn't fallen apart yet.

Most consumer notebooks have poor hinges and the battery would probably be dead by now
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4466 posts
1043 upvotes
Gee wrote: Sure, if it hasn't fallen apart yet.
Most consumer notebooks have poor hinges and the battery would probably be dead by now
My point was addressing the OP's stated expected usage of the new laptop and how MS Office and web surfing are low intensity tasks for processor and memory utilization and resources.