• May 8th, 2020 1:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish

Dell laptop won't turn on now?

I have a Dell XPS 9560 and randomly yesterday I was getting BSODs - kmode_exception_not_handled

This morning I was going to look into it more, but now my laptop won't even turn on. I press power, it lights up.. nothing comes up on screen and eventually the power light goes our again
21 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11162 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Probably wont fix the issue but if possible remove the battery and turn the laptop on (while plugged into the wall) have seen lots of random issues with laptops where it will not power on at all (no lights) and ends up being the battery.
Kaitlyn wrote: I have a Dell XPS 9560 and randomly yesterday I was getting BSODs - kmode_exception_not_handled

This morning I was going to look into it more, but now my laptop won't even turn on. I press power, it lights up.. nothing comes up on screen and eventually the power light goes our again
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish
Oooh it did turn on! I'm wondering if I just reattach the battery and try again, or if there might be further diagnostics/fixes I could do Thinking Face
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11162 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Great!

Turn of the laptop and plug in the battery again it will likely turn on and work. Not sure why this happens but I have seen it on HP & Lenovo laptops so far. Have gone through HP in the past regarding the issue and they come out and replace the motherboard.
Kaitlyn wrote: Oooh it did turn on! I'm wondering if I just reattach the battery and try again, or if there might be further diagnostics/fixes I could do Thinking Face
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish
sickcars wrote: Great!

Turn of the laptop and plug in the battery again it will likely turn on and work. Not sure why this happens but I have seen it on HP & Lenovo laptops so far. Have gone through HP in the past regarding the issue and they come out and replace the motherboard.
I tried but now it seems to turn on and just hang. Still nothing on screen but power light isn't going out after like 10s again

Hmmmmm, "progress" hah
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3137 posts
3233 upvotes
GTA
Kaitlyn wrote: I tried but now it seems to turn on and just hang. Still nothing on screen but power light isn't going out after like 10s again

Hmmmmm, "progress" hah
Did you let it boot up with the battery disconnected first? That's what the person in the forum did. Also try the Dell diagnostics to see if there are error log like overheating to help explain why you had the issue to begin.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11162 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Well if it only turns on when the battery is removed then it looks like its a bad battery and will likely need to be replaced if no warranty is left.

Kaitlyn wrote: I tried but now it seems to turn on and just hang. Still nothing on screen but power light isn't going out after like 10s again

Hmmmmm, "progress" hah
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish
My laptop is currently booting up ac+battery plugged in. Not trying other configurations right now.

It was running "for a while" and I ran the Dell diagnostics via supportassist and it only found drivers+bios. I updated everything and had rebooted and was basically just sitting there while I watched TV then it threw the BSOD again with the kmode_exception_not_handled

And now it's seemingly throwing it very quickly on reboots...

Looking at the system event viewer, apart from the error for the reboot from bugcheck only other error event (2 seconds before) is

The cphs service terminated with the following error:
No more data is available
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28402 posts
8854 upvotes
Seems you've solved the power up/booting issue but not possible software issues. Might want to do a restore to the original configuration, either by recovery discs or by hidden partition (most newer machines will have the latter though it may have given you an option to make recovery discs when you first used it). Backup any files you haven't already (may need to remove the HDD/SSD if it's not stable enough to do so) and then do a "restore"/reinstall and then see how it works from there. If it's still under warranty and the issues persist, I'd say let Dell deal with it from there. If it's not under warranty and the issues persist afterwards, you may have a hardware problem on your hands; OTOH it could just be some driver that automatically updated with Windows Update that is now causing the problem.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2328 posts
920 upvotes
Toronto
I have never had this issue before but maybe try one of these suggestions -> https://hackernoon.com/fix-kmode-except ... -eu5ck2dqy.

If it really is an issue with a driver then if you have a spare SSD lying around then maybe try a clean install onto the spare SSD. See if that solves the problem. If yes, then personally, I have no clue how you could find out what the problem was.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish
ES_Revenge wrote: Seems you've solved the power up/booting issue but not possible software issues. Might want to do a restore to the original configuration, either by recovery discs or by hidden partition (most newer machines will have the latter though it may have given you an option to make recovery discs when you first used it). Backup any files you haven't already (may need to remove the HDD/SSD if it's not stable enough to do so) and then do a "restore"/reinstall and then see how it works from there. If it's still under warranty and the issues persist, I'd say let Dell deal with it from there. If it's not under warranty and the issues persist afterwards, you may have a hardware problem on your hands; OTOH it could just be some driver that automatically updated with Windows Update that is now causing the problem.
Yeah I'm comfortable enough with a fresh install if it comes to that though would still be nice to avoid.

Is there any good way to diagnose any remaining hardware issues? The crash error code is consistent,though I'm not finding a ton of useful applicable info online. Also turns out to be very hard to do all this research via a phone haha

Thanks to you and everyone else for the help so far!
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish
So at this point, my laptop is currently booting up. It seems to take longer than usual to get to the dell screen. I am somehow, randomly getting back to the BSOD occasionally.

I've run the diagnostics from supportassist and via BIOS ePSA and both are showing everything passing.

In this process, I've noticed that my bios will NOT update. I open the EXE it shows I am on 1.15 and to update to 1.18, does extraction and then reboots. Then what happens is it never gets to the dell logo and eventually turns off - the power light goes off. It comes back on and eventually boots to dell logo screen and boots as usual, no BIOS update process started.

Any ideas?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11162 posts
2922 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Some hardware issues can be a pain in the butt. I had one that took me a week to figure out, it ended up being a bad CPU but I had to swap out pretty much every part before I came to that conclusion.

Run a test on the hard drive that could be failing or it may have bad sectors
also run memtest to test the memory from a usb - https://www.memtest86.com/
If you have a spare hdd & ram swap those in & reinstall windows.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish
sickcars wrote: Some hardware issues can be a pain in the butt. I had one that took me a week to figure out, it ended up being a bad CPU but I had to swap out pretty much every part before I came to that conclusion.

Run a test on the hard drive that could be failing or it may have bad sectors
also run memtest to test the memory from a usb - https://www.memtest86.com/
If you have a spare hdd & ram swap those in & reinstall windows.
No spare laptop aprts but both are being reported as fine so far. Also drive is ssd (Samsung 860) - I don't think SSD have "bad sectors"?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1981 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
Kaitlyn wrote: No spare laptop aprts but both are being reported as fine so far. Also drive is ssd (Samsung 860) - I don't think SSD have "bad sectors"?
Nope, but they give some quick warning signs when about to fail. You can check it with CrystalDiskMark.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-warning ... reak-fail/

Here are "warning signs" but I've never had that happen to me in the article. The only thing that ever happened to me from that link was step 5, the drive went read only. But that was not due to failure, it was an old OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD so I basically just ran out of writes because the drive was in constant use and was constantly full. (This was before I even knew what SSD provisioning was, and when a 60GB SSD was like $250)

I had a Samsung 850 EVO in my desktop, and when it died, it just died. No warning signs nothing. Went to bed computer was working 100%, shut down. In the morning turned it on, "Disk Boot Fail" message. No HDD detected. Just went poof. Like that it was working 100%, and it was only 6 months old too. What happened on mine was the controller failed, the NAND chips were OK.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3137 posts
3233 upvotes
GTA
Kaitlyn wrote: So at this point, my laptop is currently booting up. It seems to take longer than usual to get to the dell screen. I am somehow, randomly getting back to the BSOD occasionally.

I've run the diagnostics from supportassist and via BIOS ePSA and both are showing everything passing.

In this process, I've noticed that my bios will NOT update. I open the EXE it shows I am on 1.15 and to update to 1.18, does extraction and then reboots. Then what happens is it never gets to the dell logo and eventually turns off - the power light goes off. It comes back on and eventually boots to dell logo screen and boots as usual, no BIOS update process started.

Any ideas?
Well generally to update a BIOS the battery has to be almost fully charged and should be plugged in also just in case so check on that. I also know that Dell BIOS allows you to update a couple of ways, through Windows or within the BIOS itself I believe. Visit your laptop's Dell support page for information how to do that. Finally make sure you have the right BIOS, it might not be allowing it because it's not supported by your laptop.

EDIT: Are you trying to update the BIOS to solve the initial problems? I'd be a bit concerned trying to do something as delicate as that with all the boot up issues you are having. You might want to check the other components suggested above before doing something as delicate as updating a BIOS unless you know it will solve the other issues. If the BIOS doesn't finish the update, it could brick your system.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8161 posts
1893 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: ....
Are you trying to update the BIOS to solve the initial problems? I'd be a bit concerned trying to do something as delicate as that with all the boot up issues you are having. You might want to check the other components suggested above before doing something as delicate as updating a BIOS unless you know it will solve the other issues. If the BIOS doesn't finish the update, it could brick your system.
Same thought. I would not be concerned about a BIOS update until the laptop is stable and working correctly. Only then would I even think about updating the BIOS.
Apr 29, 2018
968 posts
573 upvotes
Vancouver
Laptop batteries are sometimes (specially in Apple laptops) used for a little more than just power source. They also act as giant capacitors and can work to supplement the charger output, incase of demanding workloads (such as boot-up)

If the Laptop is not getting enough power from the adapter, it'll try to use the battery. Now if the battery is not plugged in, it'll cause throttling & slower performance. But if the battery is plugged in, and "seems good enough" it'll use the battery when extra power is needed. Now supposing at that time of demand, the battery is unable to provide, the system will crash & may even BSOD with weird & even changing error codes. This is due to the fault occurring in the hardware, which is out-of-scope for a BSOD.

I would suggest getting a new battery from Dell. Don't get the ones from eBay/unofficial sources as they mostly all refurbished batteries and will last nowhere near what a new battery will.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10949 posts
1111 upvotes
Squamish
As of right now I cannot boot up at all. The front LED is blinking 2 orange, 1 white... Which seems to indicate a CPU failure (but POSSIBLY related the HD graphics is being problematic? I don't know...)

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en ... 14_Present

I can't seem to DO anything on the laptop given the dell screen never pops up, so no BIOS or anything. Is there any other way I can test/verify the CPU failure? Is that realistically something that would effectiely just randomly happen overnight?

The CPU is i7-7700HQ