Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7927 posts
4331 upvotes
Alberta

Dell Laptops

We have an Employee Purchase Program at work with Dell.ca and I've never owned a Dell product before. I was wondering which model of laptop is the best between these 3: Inspiron, XPS or Latitude. Basically want one that will last because I don't upgrade very often. Mainly for home use, some Word/Excel documents and surfing the net. No gaming. Kind of leaning towards the Latitude.
4 replies
Sep 10, 2012
645 posts
410 upvotes
Saskatoon
I’ve owned several laptops and the newest Dell XPS 13 (I prefer the 1080p matte non-touch version) is easily my favourite. The display, trackpad and keyboard are wonderful and battery life is very good as well. I would look at the i5 8250u version with 8gb ram and 256 gb ssd.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11348 posts
7655 upvotes
Edmonton
Latitudes are business oriented laptops. XPS's are the sleek/glossy ones. Inspirons are for everyone else.

For your use, any of them will fit the bill. Theoretically, the Latitudes are more likely to be long-life machines, but practically, they'll use the same components as the other machines. They might have less crap installed on them out of the box.

For me, I've had two XPS's, and would stick with them. But you pay for it.

C
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15438 posts
4604 upvotes
London
Home use = insprion where it only sits on a desk and you might open/close the lid 10x per week
university/school use = xps heavy duty, open/close hinges 10X per hour , hardware options more up to date
corporate use = lattitude = very heavy duty , mil spec, hardware options slower to change, designed for easy admin/service like user replaceable battery pack (think a corp environment with 5,000 laptops being maintained centrally)

I dropped a lattitude down a flight of stairs, end over end. It had a had a couple dents on the corners and a 1" crack on the case. The screen was fine.
my buddy used inspirons at his work and the hinges always break after a couple of years.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7927 posts
4331 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks guys for the replies, I really appreciate the input.