• Aug 11th, 2020 11:06 am
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
207 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal

Dell Precision 5530 - 2 monitors without a dock

Hi,
I currently have at home a Dell Precision 5530 that is connected to 1 FHD monitor using the HDMI plug and I would like to get a second monitor.

The laptop has a thunderbolt 3 port.
Any idea if it's possible to connect a USB-C monitor to that plug?
Otherwise, is it possible to get another HDMI monitor and connect it to a USB-C or TB3 hub such as this one? https://www.amazon.ca/Reader-Powered-Ad ... 669&sr=8-3

Thanks.
6 replies
May 19, 2006
90 posts
289 upvotes
USB-C defines a plug standard so I’m not sure what you mean when you say “USB C Monitor” (do you mean a Thunderbolt Display or are referring to DisplayPort over USB-C?)

Either way, the hub you linked can be used (or even just a USB-C to HDMI adapter or USB-C to DisplayPort adapter, which can be found for well under 20 bucks)

I use the Precision 5530 for work, and it’s a nice laptop. It is connected to a monitor using a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter ( https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G5FQJ9N/ ) which is currently selling for $14 on Amazon.

EDIT: To clarify, I use two monitors. One connected to the HDMI port and a second monitor connected to the USB-C port on the laptop using the adapter I linked above.

Hope that helps.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
207 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal
Basically the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

For USB-C monitor, I mean something like the Dell P2419HC that connects to a USB-C port. Is this called a Thunderbolt display?
May 19, 2006
90 posts
289 upvotes
Even though it uses the USB-C connector, a Thunderbolt 3 monitor is different from the Dell P2419HC that you mentioned. This Dell monitor uses the USB-C connector to receive a video signal from a computer using what’s called USB-C Alternate Mode (DisplayPort or HDMI). So even though it’s using the USB-C cable, it’s not a Thunderbolt Display.

Similar goes for laptops... some laptops have the USB-C connector, but they don’t necessarily have thunderbolt.

Sirakoz wrote: Basically the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

For USB-C monitor, I mean something like the Dell P2419HC that connects to a USB-C port. Is this called a Thunderbolt display?
[OP]
Dec 30, 2009
207 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of this. It also looks like TB3 monitors are not widely available, right?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5070 posts
1462 upvotes
Kitchener
Are you sure there's not a mini-display port at the back? I have a 2019 model Precision at the office and it has HDMI and mDP
May 19, 2006
90 posts
289 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: Are you sure there's not a mini-display port at the back? I have a 2019 model Precision at the office and it has HDMI and mDP
Sorry for the late reply. The 5530 does not have mDP ports. IT has HDMI, USB-A and one USB-C port - that's it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)