• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2024 1:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6023 posts
3617 upvotes
Toronto
Ch1ppy wrote: So jelly of us site…50% off the 7290 i been eyeing lol
Oh, days later, I can decode this. "I am so jealous of the US site ... 50% off the price of the Latitude 7290 that I have been eyeing. Laughing Out Loud."

Yeah, I've been jealous of the US site for decades. So I don't look. I managed to buy something from them once: for our son who was studying in Texas. Too bad: that netbook (remember them?) had a design flaw that made it prone to overheat (there should have been a recall).

@karembeu has explained in the past: they have looked at expanding into selling Dell returns but it didn't make business sense. That's where the most attractive deals are: current models at a discount. It is a different flow of products: returns or overstock vs. off-lease (owned by the finance wing).
Jan 7, 2023
11 posts
9 upvotes
Hugh wrote: Oh, days later, I can decode this. "I am so jealous of the US site ... 50% off the price of the Latitude 7290 that I have been eyeing. Laughing Out Loud."

Yeah, I've been jealous of the US site for decades. So I don't look. I managed to buy something from them once: for our son who was studying in Texas. Too bad: that netbook (remember them?) had a design flaw that made it prone to overheat (there should have been a recall).

@karembeu has explained in the past: they have looked at expanding into selling Dell returns but it didn't make business sense. That's where the most attractive deals are: current models at a discount. It is a different flow of products: returns or overstock vs. off-lease (owned by the finance wing).
Glad I can make you laugh…=p
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
Hey guys, anyone having issues when you do a clean install. The first thing they ask is your XYZ company's work email address out of the box? There is no way to bypass it.

I think the serial number from this device was registered to Microsoft Azure at XYZ company. So if I create a local account, the IT guy at XYZ company could remotely wipe my laptop clean if he/she decided to.

John, I think I will need a full refund.
Verified Rep
Oct 7, 2008
1704 posts
1031 upvotes
We are running a laptop sale through this weekend.

Dell Laptop Sale
20% Off all Dell laptops, including Dell Hot Deals.
Use coupon code LTWKND20 at checkout. Limited Quantities available. Ends June 4th, 2023.
Offers are not applicable to previous orders and cannot be combined with other coupons.

~ John @ DellRefurbished
Verified Rep
Oct 7, 2008
1704 posts
1031 upvotes
We have a special Flash Sale running on fixed Workstations.

Dell Flash Sale - 2 Days Only!
Save big on select Dell Precision workstations.
Prices are as marked, and no coupon is required. Look for the FLASH SALE badge to save!
Limited Quantities are available. Flash Sale ends Friday, June 9th, 2023.
Flash Sale prices are not applicable to previous orders and cannot be combined with any other coupons.

~ John @ DellRefurbished
Verified Rep
Oct 7, 2008
1704 posts
1031 upvotes
Our Father's Day Sale is now active.

Dell Father's Day Sale
25% Off all systems & accessories storewide, including already discounted Dell Hot Deals.
Use coupon code FATHER25 at checkout. Limited Quantities available. Ends June 18th, 2023.
Offers are not applicable to previous orders and cannot be combined with other coupons.

~ John @ DellRefurbished
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6023 posts
3617 upvotes
Toronto
Some interesting things.

The link doesn't get me everything but I assume that the coupon applies to everything.

An all-in-one with a Kaby-lake Xeon processor and an 27" UltraHD display for $579 - 25%: https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/item/del ... 720/1.html

Two batches of Optiplex 5040 SFF with i5-6600 for $139 - 25% (differences unknown).

Latitude 5490 for $279 - 25% and next to it a Latitude 5590 for $699 - 25%. Seems oddly different prices for similar machines but the 5490 has a 1366 x 768 display whereas the 5590 hasa a 1920 x 1080 display.

No Micro form factor boxes.

Lots of SFF. Some 3rd gen for under $100 - 25%. One 8th gen Optiplex 3060 for $199 - 25%(I think that's the only one that will run Win 11).

XPS 13 with i5-1035g1 for $779 - 25%. My impression is the XPS line is nice. Of the top of my head, I think that that gen was pretty bad for heat and the g1 means a weak GPU.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Uranium101 wrote: Hey guys, anyone having issues when you do a clean install. The first thing they ask is your XYZ company's work email address out of the box? There is no way to bypass it.
Curious if you ever resolved this or what Dell did to fix it?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
YLSF wrote: Curious if you ever resolved this or what Dell did to fix it?
It was Autopilot locked by that company's IT. There is no way for you to release the system from your side, only can be done by that company.
You can install the Windows Home Edit, and it should work fine because Home edition doesn't check for Autopilot.

The original unit I got was like A+++ (barely used condition), then I sent it back for a replacement unit which was rated as Grade A but it's actually Grade C lol.
The replacement unit was full of hairs, and the smell of curry is all over the laptop. The fans were clogged with sticky stuff (a weed smoker I bet). It took me 5+ hours to clean the whole thing. The replacement unit didn't come with a operating system attached to the motherboard, so I had to buy a new license for it.

I regret sending the original unit back because the replacement unit is so bad in condition. I think the screen is a little off too. I mean who couldn't have deal so much damage to a poor Precision laptop lol.

Edit: the battery that came with the replacement unit was basically dead. It couldn’t last 5 minutes when fully charged. I order a replacement battery just for it.
Mar 2, 2007
815 posts
1066 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Uranium101 wrote: It was Autopilot locked by that company's IT. There is no way for you to release the system from your side, only can be done by that company.
You can install the Windows Home Edit, and it should work fine because Home edition doesn't check for Autopilot.

The original unit I got was like A+++ (barely used condition), then I sent it back for a replacement unit which was rated as Grade A but it's actually Grade C lol.
The replacement unit was full of hairs, and the smell of curry is all over the laptop. The fans were clogged with sticky stuff (a weed smoker I bet). It took me 5+ hours to clean the whole thing. The replacement unit didn't come with a operating system attached to the motherboard, so I had to buy a new license for it.

I regret sending the original unit back because the replacement unit is so bad in condition. I think the screen is a little off too. I mean who couldn't have deal so much damage to a poor Precision laptop lol.

Edit: the battery that came with the replacement unit was basically dead. It couldn’t last 5 minutes when fully charged. I order a replacement battery just for it.
Why did you keep the replacement unit instead of returning it?

1st rule of RFD! ➡We don't talk about RFD!
2nd rule of RFD! ➡READ the OP (Original Post), Thread Summary and the current part of thread!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
cassador wrote: Why did you keep the replacement unit instead of returning it?
I have already invested a lot of time and money into this unit. That is why I kept it.
After fixing it up, it's A graded now at least to my standard.

I also replaced the fans too. I think I put in another $150 or so. Since this unit is so popular, I think I will keep it and replacement parts can be found easily. So this laptop and me will be together for a long time. Until Windows 12 rolls around.

The hard part was getting that curry smell off lol. I almost wanted to replace the keyboards. Then after 3 cleaning, the smell actually went away.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Uranium101 wrote: I have already invested a lot of time and money into this unit. That is why I kept it.
Dedication! But I think the question was why didn't you send it back right away when you saw the condition of the 2nd one. Was there no replacement stock or something?
Mar 2, 2007
815 posts
1066 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Uranium101 wrote: I have already invested a lot of time and money into this unit. That is why I kept it.
After fixing it up, it's A graded now at least to my standard.

I also replaced the fans too. I think I put in another $150 or so. Since this unit is so popular, I think I will keep it and replacement parts can be found easily. So this laptop and me will be together for a long time. Until Windows 12 rolls around.

The hard part was getting that curry smell off lol. I almost wanted to replace the keyboards. Then after 3 cleaning, the smell actually went away.
Wow! Good thing you have the knowledge to do this yourself. Make sense if the specs were worth it.

Quality from Dell Refurbished is hit or miss. I had purchased a Latitude years ago that was Grade A, but the cloth they used to clean it left behind so much smearing it looked bad. Once I cleaned it properly it looked great.
A desktop that was grade A had a big dent on the top and scratches. They adjusted the pricing for me.
This year I purchased an Optiplex SFF and it was a clean Grade A. When I opened the box, I had my fingers crossed lol

1st rule of RFD! ➡We don't talk about RFD!
2nd rule of RFD! ➡READ the OP (Original Post), Thread Summary and the current part of thread!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
YLSF wrote: Dedication! But I think the question was why didn't you send it back right away when you saw the condition of the 2nd one. Was there no replacement stock or something?
No more replacement unit, and I don't want to bother them again. Their CSR was top notch, but I hate to be a bother.

It looked okay from the outside. The skeletons were inside the casing. At first I thought it's just curry smell, I can handle it with some cleaning. The screen was a bit off but I can cope with it.

So the fellow at Dell Financing just did a physical check. He didn't open the inside. The fans were obviously clogged. And this person didn't check the battery either.
Last edited by Uranium101 on Jun 14th, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
cassador wrote: Wow! Good thing you have the knowledge to do this yourself. Make sense if the specs were worth it.

Quality from Dell Refurbished is hit or miss. I had purchased a Latitude years ago that was Grade A, but the cloth they used to clean it left behind so much smearing it looked bad. Once I cleaned it properly it looked great.
A desktop that was grade A had a big dent on the top and scratches. They adjusted the pricing for me.
This year I purchased an Optiplex SFF and it was a clean Grade A. When I opened the box, I had my fingers crossed lol
Well, this is the first unit that didn't meet the Grade A expectation.

I ordered a grade B SFF before, and a small part of the case felt off. No issue, I just tapped it since I know I will be getting a bad unit. The inside was great though.
From that day onwards, I never ordered Grade B unit.

Now that Grade A unit can be as bad as Grade B, I guess I will give Grade B units another try next time lol.

Edit: the next unit I will be buying will be a 2-in-1 with a number pad. Regardless of the Grading.
Verified Rep
Oct 7, 2008
1704 posts
1031 upvotes
Hugh wrote: No Micro form factor boxes.
@Hugh I just got some 7060 MFF and will be trying to get them up today or tomorrow :)

~ John @ DellRefurbished

edit: these went up, and are selling pretty quickly, about half are gone!
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Just got my Optiplex 5040 in this morning. What is up with quality control at Dell Refurb now???
There are like crumbs on the case and the area below the front ports are full of dust. Don't they even do a quick vacuum on these units?

Worse is that one of the ports is totally ruined

I haven't reach out to Dell yet but just shocked that this is supposed to be level A unit
https://imgur.com/a/BoJc3T6
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1770 posts
1140 upvotes
Markham
YLSF wrote: Just got my Optiplex 5040 in this morning. What is up with quality control at Dell Refurb now???
There are like crumbs on the case and the area below the front ports are full of dust. Don't they even do a quick vacuum on these units?

Worse is that one of the ports is totally ruined

I haven't reach out to Dell yet but just shocked that this is supposed to be level A unit
https://imgur.com/a/BoJc3T6
Have you opened the inside yet? Normally the outside looked bad, but the inside is in top condition.
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
Uranium101 wrote: Have you opened the inside yet?
Yeah, was worried was going to be a disaster under the case cover but physically looks fine. I wanted to see if there was an obvious was to just disconnect that one USB port but doesn' t look like there is.

Do you think would be safe to start up with this damage USB port or should I get exchanged? I assume when I call they might offer a discount for me to keep as is but I don't even know if safe to run it with the state of the USB port like that. I know you are pretty knowledgeable so would appreciate your feedback.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)