Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Sony Noise Cancelling WH-1000XM2 Headphones- $359.99 + 2% ebates

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2017 10:02 pm
Nov 29, 2013
729 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone comment on how sony deals with issue's in headphones after the 1 year warranty is expired? I have heard bose is suppose to do well in terms of assisting you
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
6983 posts
2311 upvotes
GVR
mac_bug wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 6:12 pm
I've tried my friend's Bose qc35 and it does let voices through, the Sony's are supposedly better at blocking voices, though mostly all high frequency noise cancelling is achieved through passive means (see inner fidelity measurements). I don't believe it gets any better than that though, my universal iem doesn't block voices very well eithrr
Which ones do you have, and what tips/foam/flange are you using?

I find that the combination of the shell material, the shell thickness and the tips would contribute to its ability to passively block out noise (i.e. noise isolation).
[OP]
Jan 21, 2007
108 posts
20 upvotes
brensavoyton wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 12:18 am
Can anyone comment on how sony deals with issue's in headphones after the 1 year warranty is expired? I have heard bose is suppose to do well in terms of assisting you
Can’t comment on the post warranty support; however you should check if your credit card extends the warranty. On the VISA infinite I used it adds a year of warranty.
Jun 6, 2007
430 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
chatbox wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 12:20 am
Which ones do you have, and what tips/foam/flange are you using?

I find that the combination of the shell material, the shell thickness and the tips would contribute to its ability to passively block out noise (i.e. noise isolation).
Westone UMPro 50 with Shure Olives

if I had to compare the noise isolation on voices between passive vs active, ANC just chops off the low frequency part of someone's voice that I could still hear with passive.

When I tried the Sonys at Bestbuy, they had a boombox going at max volume with ground shaking bass at about 5 feet away, I couldn't hear anything except for muted female vocal.
Oct 15, 2013
403 posts
502 upvotes
Does anyone have the link for newsletter signup, can't see it on the site.
Nov 29, 2013
729 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
g2fl wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 12:29 am
Can’t comment on the post warranty support; however you should check if your credit card extends the warranty. On the VISA infinite I used it adds a year of warranty.
My credit card does not (I should look into getting one that does) but mainly afraid that somethig will go wrong and sony will just say they cant do anything where as bose could replace for free or give you a new one at a cheaper rate
Aug 29, 2006
104 posts
1 upvote
i bought them and find them not comfortable. My ear gets very hot and always sweat around the ear cups. Comfort still hands down Bose QC35 the best. I actually returned these and got a pair of studio 3 wireless for $299. I thought they sound great for the price although many people knocks them
May 18, 2009
422 posts
43 upvotes
Winnipeg
roastpuff wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 6:10 pm
Check your ambient mode settings because you may be letting them through unintentionally. Voices are never going to be completely gone but they should be more muffled.
How do I do that? I can't find it online
[OP]
Jan 21, 2007
108 posts
20 upvotes
charliegee wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 7:58 am
Does anyone have the link for newsletter signup, can't see it on the site.
Here is the link
May 31, 2007
263 posts
138 upvotes
fonefreak wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 8:27 am
i bought them and find them not comfortable. My ear gets very hot and always sweat around the ear cups. Comfort still hands down Bose QC35 the best. I actually returned these and got a pair of studio 3 wireless for $299. I thought they sound great for the price although many people knocks them
The studio 3s get awful reviews because they are awful.
[..]
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 21st, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
May 26, 2005
616 posts
307 upvotes
y2gray wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 8:42 am
How do I do that? I can't find it online
In the app, or press the noise canceling button a couple of times to cycle the modes. You did have noise cancelling turned on, right?
Apr 8, 2009
203 posts
149 upvotes
These have replaced my $1000 custom IEMs for flights. HKG <-> YYZ was a breeze with these on the entire time - even in the lounge for an hour before the flights. The BT range is great with my LG V20, and the hand-on-ear gesture for switching to ambient is fantastic for both FA interactions on the flight and listening to announcements.

Great SQ too. Of course, nothing like a proper pair of open headphones (even my Senn HD600 sound far better), but the ANC really makes up for it in real world usage.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1584 posts
230 upvotes
N8DOGG wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 5:46 pm
I cant for the life of me understand how people can think these are uncomfortable lol. I have a huge head and big long ears and the fit at the biggest settings is as comfortable as any phones I have (and i have 12 pairs)

What was uncomfortable about them? I tried them and the bose 35s and the sonys, abit a tad heavier, were just as comfortable but sounded better.
I can deal with the weight. They aren't much heavier than the bose. My problem was the size of the ear cups. They're significantly smaller than bose. And they seem smaller than its predecessor too. I have fairly large ears and when I tried it in the store, the pads squished against my ears on the edges, whereas the bose fully encased my ears. For 15-20 minutes of usage, I'm sure the sony wouldn't be uncomfortable, but for extended periods, I can see it being painful pressing up against your ears.
adamm
May 31, 2007
263 posts
138 upvotes
adamm wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 12:43 pm
I can deal with the weight. They aren't much heavier than the bose. My problem was the size of the ear cups. They're significantly smaller than bose. And they seem smaller than its predecessor too. I have fairly large ears and when I tried it in the store, the pads squished against my ears on the edges, whereas the bose fully encased my ears. For 15-20 minutes of usage, I'm sure the sony wouldn't be uncomfortable, but for extended periods, I can see it being painful pressing up against your ears.
Ahh, so you dont have that big of ears then lol. The bose nor the sonys fit my ears completely inside.
My wife has the 35s as we fly a lot and ive used them quite a bit and both are very good and both IMO are very comfortable for any length of time.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1554 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Dell taking forever to get my 10% off coupon.