[Dell] Synology Disk Station DS918+ (NAS) - $709.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2020 12:18 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2009
563 posts
451 upvotes

[Dell] Synology Disk Station DS918+ (NAS) - $709.99

Not hot compared to Black Friday or Cyber Monday but still a warm deal I think.
Synology Disk Station DS918+ - NAS server (Diskless)

$709.99 on dell.ca

BTW, if you can't or don't use the link and go to dell.ca, be sure to navigate all the way to the Synology DS918+ product page to see the $709.99 price.
The price shows as the regular price of $899.99 until you get to the actual product page for the Synology DS918+.
Last edited by Dandada on Apr 17th, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
36 replies
Oct 25, 2016
81 posts
47 upvotes
Don't forget e bate for extra 2% rebate
Jan 27, 2007
848 posts
850 upvotes
This is my second time submitting a lower price feedback to Amazon and they lowered their price as well. But Dell is still a better deal with the $15OFF$199+ coupon, and 2% Rakuten.
Myself, I'm hoping for that WELCOME15% coupon to work again or something similar. :)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075N1 ... EEQB&psc=1
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6112 posts
2454 upvotes
Canuckland
Not as good as previous deal but not too bad
Jan 24, 2017
40 posts
35 upvotes
Just an FYI for anyone else in a similar situation. I was about to hit the button on one of these when I found out I can just install Open Media Vault on an old PC instead. It's more than adequate for my needs (running Home Assistant, cron jobs, Plex, Sonarr, NZBGet, and backing up all my files), and it's just an old AMD 6300 chip in there.

This approach isn't for everyone, but it saved me a pile of money since that old computer was basically sitting idle anyways.
Dec 21, 2002
149 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary, ab
Thank you! I have one on the way so you saved me $70. :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9836 posts
2020 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What was the lowest price so far?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2021 posts
4411 upvotes
Markham
If you know a university student, there's also 10% off using uniday's code in addition to Rakuten.
Jan 27, 2007
848 posts
850 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: If you know a university student, there's also 10% off using uniday's code in addition to Rakuten.
Sadly, the Uniday or MPP codes don't work with non Dell products, I just tried. The only coupon working with this is $15OFF$199+
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2021 posts
4411 upvotes
Markham
Zaptor99 wrote: Sadly, the Uniday or MPP codes don't work with non Dell products, I just tried. The only coupon working with this is $15OFF$199+
Damn, did it used to work? I remember I could apply it to me camera lenses before.
Jul 21, 2009
180 posts
49 upvotes
I love mine. I have Four 10tb WD Reds in mine. WIsh I went with a 5 bay though.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28798 posts
9282 upvotes
Tousuto wrote: Just an FYI for anyone else in a similar situation. I was about to hit the button on one of these when I found out I can just install Open Media Vault on an old PC instead. It's more than adequate for my needs (running Home Assistant, cron jobs, Plex, Sonarr, NZBGet, and backing up all my files), and it's just an old AMD 6300 chip in there.

This approach isn't for everyone, but it saved me a pile of money since that old computer was basically sitting idle anyways.
Two words: power consumption. If by "AMD 6300" you mean an FX-6300, that "construction equipment" based system probably idles at like 50-70W without even talking about the HDDs! The Synology unit idles at less than 15W with the disks powered down, 27W with four HDDs spinning but otherwise idle, and a max of about 45W with heavy workloads going on. In other words that maximum power it will use for short periods, is likely less than the minimum you will be burning, 24/7.

While I do also recommend people consider putting together their own NAS/servers when they're spending this kind of money, I don't recommend they use old systems that are power-hungry. I always recommend if they are using desktop CPUs, to always go with a Haswell or newer CPU. Alternatives would be Atoms or the AMD "Cat" CPUs (this Synology uses Atom, for example.) That's the only way you'll get the power down. I use an i3-4130 and a Gold-rated PSU, and I think I'm at 20-something watts with the drives powered down.

Now I'm not sure how long you have to be running to get to the power cost of this unit--$700 probably buys a lot of electricity--but what I mean is there is also older equipment that is much more power efficient than an FX, that can be had for much less money than $700.

Oh and as for building your own, you can even use Synology's OS--look up Xpenology for details.
Mar 21, 2019
102 posts
113 upvotes
Tousuto wrote: Just an FYI for anyone else in a similar situation. I was about to hit the button on one of these when I found out I can just install Open Media Vault on an old PC instead. It's more than adequate for my needs (running Home Assistant, cron jobs, Plex, Sonarr, NZBGet, and backing up all my files), and it's just an old AMD 6300 chip in there.

I'm thinking anyone who clicks on the title of this thread to read the details doesn't really care, but good for you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
5198 posts
4303 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: Two words: power consumption.
Yeah if you're not careful, grabbing an "old" pc can be the worse possible course of action LOL.
May 17, 2006
532 posts
96 upvotes
Dandada wrote: Not hot compared to Black Friday or Cyber Monday but still a warm deal I think.
Synology Disk Station DS918+ - NAS server (Diskless)

$709.99 on dell.ca

BTW, if you can't or don't use the link and go to dell.ca, be sure to navigate all the way to the Synology DS918+ product page to see the $709.99 price.
The price shows as the regular price of $899.99 until you get to the actual product page for the Synology DS918+.
Thanks OP. Finally caught this one in time. Migrating from a 408 that's served me well for over 10 years.
tietherope wrote: It took 4 posts this time.
LOL. Every time.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1353 posts
1145 upvotes
VANCOUVER
About to pull the trigger.

So there's nothing else cheaper than can run docker for my Omada AP controller?

I don't think I want or need to run anything else locally. I can run everything else on my seedbox.

This would be somewhat overkill, but I could justify it since I'm keeping it for 5+ years. But since I don't require any transcoding, I technically could get by with an ARM chip.