Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Synology DS418 4-bay NAS - $514.99 ($85 off)

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2023 12:04 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA

[Dell] Synology DS418 4-bay NAS - $514.99 ($85 off)

Have an older version of one of these and it has been rock solid. Pretty sure I spent a bit more than this too back then. Stumbled across this and thought it's a decent deal on a high quality NAS. Don't forget Rakuten and any Dell Rewards you might have sitting around.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/synolog ... ives-media

The DS220+ (2-bay) is also on sale for $419.99 (also on Amazon for the same price)

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/synolog ... ives-media
98 replies
Nov 13, 2019
515 posts
1280 upvotes
These are so awesome on a home network. I have an older Synology that works great. All my files are saved to it, I save nothing locally anymore.
Sep 8, 2022
536 posts
1418 upvotes
DS418...4-bay NAS from 2018...getting old for some use cases.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
Can RAM and or NIC be upgraded / added for 10GBE?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1367 posts
2073 upvotes
Vancouver
This deal seems like a downgrade when a DS920+ 4-bay was on-sale for $559.99 from ME last year in July 2022. If you don't need one now then I would wait for another sale for something better.
Oct 21, 2009
67 posts
64 upvotes
Please don't buy into their locked ecosystem. Look into something like like unraid. You can use an older desktop which would have far superior hardware compared to the Synology crap hardware.
Just my two cents.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
adrian232 wrote: Please don't buy into their locked ecosystem. Look into something like like unraid. You can use an older desktop which would have far superior hardware compared to the Synology crap hardware.
Just my two cents.
Yes and no. You may be right, but it's not going to matter for a lot of people. Depends on the use case.

If you want to have it do other things apart from file storage, then I would say yes, maybe consider other options. For example, the licensing for hooking up cameras to this is just stupid and a cash grab IMO.

As far as the hardware being inferior and using an old desktop, you have to consider the form factor (this is tiny), and you don't need a lot of power/beefy hardware for a NAS in the first place, especially if you are just going to be using it to store / access files. Some people don't have old machines they can use, nor do they want to DIY and build one - they just want to buy something off the shelf that will work with minimal setup.
Jan 20, 2013
584 posts
147 upvotes
Woodbridge
I have several Synology NAS and one is an old 418j - a great machine, but I'd say it is outdated, model 2018.
However, for the home user(s) is OK.
Kind of Google photos alternative, except the AI, is not smart as Google AI, But you have all your photos stored without worrying about being out of space.
Synology is not just a NAS - it includes a lot of different very useable applications, like VPN, great backup, secure and encrypted cloud storage, automatic backup of your phone(s), and a lot more.
Not cheap, but it is worth it
Does not support BTRFS, if you know what it is
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
2008 posts
2044 upvotes
VANCOUVER
adrian232 wrote: Please don't buy into their locked ecosystem. Look into something like like unraid. You can use an older desktop which would have far superior hardware compared to the Synology crap hardware.
Just my two cents.
Don't listen to this guy.

The smart answer is you can do BOTH! Get this Synology or better yet, get a 920+. And you can tinker with your own box at home without any pressures of having downtime.

People use Synology as it just works, and the software support is pretty lengthy. It's super powerful and secure for home use, is versatile with Docker, and still has native apps for photo backups and whatnot. Plus it's quiet as heck and sips electricity.
Oct 21, 2009
67 posts
64 upvotes
b31770 wrote: Don't listen to this guy.

The smart answer is you can do BOTH! Get this Synology or better yet, get a 920+. And you can tinker with your own box at home without any pressures of having downtime.

People use Synology as it just works, and the software support is pretty lengthy. It's super powerful and secure for home use, is versatile with Docker, and still has native apps for photo backups and whatnot. Plus it's quiet as heck and sips electricity.
Sounds like Synology has some sales reps here.
Why would someone pay 500-1000$ for something they can get nearly free? Running an old desktop with Unraid or FreeNAS would also allow to have many more options. Plus, you can get away with using cheaper SMR drives whereas raid solutions like Synology require you use CMR drives.
Sure, get into the Synology ecosystem if you have money to burn. I personally LOVE my unraid for which I've used an old Dell tower my IT department threw in the trash. I've then got a cheap & efficient P600 quatro video card which I now use to transcode all my videos to 265 format. And my Windows VM is doing lots of things in the background (defeats having to leave my computer on).

Yes, the Synology will be cheaper to run, but it would take many many years to get back that huge upfront cost.
Aug 7, 2014
14 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Currently looking into getting a Synology mainly for the Synology app. Currently paying Google one drive for storing photos and videos. Anything you think that'll beat Synology?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4967 posts
13387 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
m23tran wrote: Currently looking into getting a Synology mainly for the Synology app. Currently paying Google one drive for storing photos and videos. Anything you think that'll beat Synology?
https://xpenology.org/
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2006
1144 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
Either you are into a purpose build NAS or you are a DIY type of person.

So, if you are in this thread, then you are a NAS person. I had a DS411j, it was doing what needed to be done as a file server. Had it for so long and it still chugged along. The tech support is spot on, I had a system file corrupt where it took all the partition, contacted tech support into the 8th year of service. I gave tech permission to access the NAS with login/password, he fixed the issue.....talk about support!

I have since then upgraded 2 years ago, DS920+. With my computer skills, I wont be doing any DIY just in case I lose all the data.

Synology is great, QNAP is great, FREENAS is great, UNRAID is great, do what you want, its your money and data.
Dec 11, 2005
445 posts
218 upvotes
For those with Amex offer, there's a $100 off $500 at Dell as well.

Newbie to NAS ecosystem. Would $400ish be a good starting point?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Sure, and play Russian roulette with your data when you play the cat & mouse game every time synology releases a new DSM version. As a hobby for non-critical data, sure. Otherwise it is not for everyone. I know many people who have lost piles of data using xpenology after an update. They eventually scaled back their expectations (since they could not afford high end models) and bought a small Synology to get their main tasks achieved.

I've used Synology since 2008 when I bought by first DS508. I have upgraded many times over the years, today I have 2 rackmount RS2418+ units as my main units and even kept my old DS1817+ for the extra Surveillance station licenses and a dedicated NVR recorder for my PoE security cameras. My old DS508 which is nearly 15yrs old now, is still churning away at a friend's place. He did not care for any bells and whistles and it just works. Gave one of my older DS1512+ units to my sister and she lives out of country and I use it as my remote backup destination, for offsite backups of my more critical info (ie: my own personal cloud off premises).

Synology just works. You pay for the R&D behind it and the s/w development. It is surely not just for the hardware.

There hardware has been solid overall, EXCEPT for the 2015 models, where a design flaw and an intel ATOM bug plagued many units. It actually affected a lot more than Synology (including gear from supermicro, netgear, iXsystems [ie: FreeNAS Mini and FreeNAS Mini XL], netgate [pfsense firewalls], Juniper, Cisco, HPE, and the list goes on ). Synology extended the warranty of the affected models and if issues happened during this extended period they would replace them. Every brand has some bad runs and models.

I use my Synology units for data backup, plex server, surveillance station, and a few docker containers (pihole, vpn/torrent clients, etc..). Even some more advanced uses with iSCSI targets for my VM server, since I have a dedicated 10GbE link between the server and the NAS (which the average user will never use). As life happens, I had less and less time to tinker with other solutions and just needed something that works. I do not regret switching to synology 15years ago (after having tried many other brands, including netgear, qnap, even dlink had a few models I tried). And I did try many distributions for DIY on older PCs (some dedicated for NAS, and others full blown and I customized myself). Yes it costs money, but what doesn't nowadays.

You can obviously do as you please. And playing around with DIY solutions is a great way to learn. But it all depends on the amount of time you have, your needs, budget, and the tolerance for losing data :)
Feb 24, 2013
8 posts
3 upvotes
Port Moody
I'm shopping around and keeping an eye out for a deal on my first NAS (file storage, Plex media server, etc). Should I get one of these or wait for a deal on DS920+ / DS923+ ?
Aug 7, 2014
14 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Amex Dell $100 off $500 - saw that offer couple weeks ago but was specific to certain laptops. This week I see a Lenovo deal but no dell on my end :(
Last edited by m23tran on Mar 26th, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 4, 2005
968 posts
180 upvotes
Can you install docker on this model?

Edit: Apparently only + models support docker, so the answer would be no.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
adrian232 wrote: Sounds like Synology has some sales reps here.
Why would someone pay 500-1000$ for something they can get nearly free? Running an old desktop with Unraid or FreeNAS would also allow to have many more options.
Congrats on being that "DIY is superior" guy who shows up on every single Synology deal thread. It only took 11 posts 7 hours this time, not a record. You guys are slacking off!
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)