Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Synology DS418 (warm) - $465

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2021 8:33 pm
Tags:
Member
Dec 7, 2005
262 posts
54 upvotes
Pickering
carniver wrote: Not really, 720 doesn't have 7 bays
It includes max expansion units included too. So the 720 has 2 and you can add one 5 bay expansion.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 24, 2009
1925 posts
1592 upvotes
AB
davidqbp wrote: a nas feels like something i should have and I want, but I don't know what I'd use it for anymore.
Works great with a Plex server and general backup storage
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
3725 posts
4123 upvotes
Montreal, QC
carniver wrote: Ability to run VM/docker sounds cool, but I don't feel comfortable running services on my NAS. The celeron processor is weak and I don't want to risk running docker containers that could compromise my personal files. YMMV
For general purpose VM, it is a little on the light side. I have a few synology units (5 bay, 8bay and a pair of 12 bay rackmount units), and I do run a few things on docker. PiHole is one that Installed on docker. It is not heavy and didn't need to have a RasbPi. And the Unifi Controller (for Ubiquiti network equipment) is also another I have ran in docker in the past. I also use my synology for surveillance station for my security cameras.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3129 posts
2962 upvotes
Antarctica
carniver wrote: Ability to run VM/docker sounds cool, but I don't feel comfortable running services on my NAS. The celeron processor is weak and I don't want to risk running docker containers that could compromise my personal files. YMMV
I run nextcloud docker (along with other services) on a pi that serves as a home file storage server along with a media server. Everything I run on it is using docker. What do you mean by compromise? Genuinely curious.
Member
User avatar
Sep 9, 2018
388 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
kevinkuo wrote: Dell also has the QNAP TS-473-4G on sale for $899, if anyone is interested in a higher-end AMD-based model.

Also, it looks like both models are available through "Dell Technologies For Work" as well as the normal consumer site. 6% Rakuten (instead of 2% on the consumer version) and AMEX currently also has offers for Dell for Work (2 bonus MR per $1 on my Cobalt). Are there eligibility criteria for ordering through the "For Work" version of the site?
If you are going to drop this amount on a QNAP buy a model where the CPU can be upgraded, this one is soldered and not upgradeable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2010
1430 posts
344 upvotes
Crichtonfan wrote: I run nextcloud docker (along with other services) on a pi that serves as a home file storage server along with a media server. Everything I run on it is using docker. What do you mean by compromise? Genuinely curious.
Compromise as in possible security flaw. Docker is not as secure as VMs, it's kind of a glorified deep chroot. We joke about how when we're given docker access, we can use privileged mode to turn it into root access.
Once there was a real deal in front of me I did not cherish. Not until it went OOS did I learn to regret. There's no greater sorrow. If heavens would grant me another chance I would buy buy buy. If I must put down a quantity, I hope it is 10000
Member
Dec 8, 2019
211 posts
348 upvotes
SuperNaut wrote: If you are going to drop this amount on a QNAP buy a model where the CPU can be upgraded, this one is soldered and not upgradeable.
I later learnt that the QNAP has an Excavator/Bulldozer-based CPU, not the newer Ryzen ones. So never mind lol.

Wonder what is the most affordable NAS that has a decent desktop x86 CPU? Looking to upgrade to a proper NAS from an old Chromebox (i3 7100U) running Xubuntu + Samba + Plex.
I have a large collection of H.264 Hi10p content, which Plex can only transcoded in software. But seems like most NASes available under $1500 only comes with Intel Atom / Celeron grade processors, which would be a downgrade for my use case. Perhaps I should keep my current set up for running Plex, and just get a reasonable NAS for purely data storage?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3129 posts
2962 upvotes
Antarctica
carniver wrote: Compromise as in possible security flaw. Docker is not as secure as VMs, it's kind of a glorified deep chroot. We joke about how when we're given docker access, we can use privileged mode to turn it into root access.
I guess one has to wait for the rootless mode becoming stable or not expose the containers to the internet. I VPN into my network for this reason.

I looked into VMs but the overhead and performance requirements are too annoying compared to flexible containers. Hopefully container security will be a focus in the future.
Newbie
Aug 22, 2011
44 posts
49 upvotes
EDMONTON
sorry, the $40 coupon code was over now.

$ 200 is not worth 418 to 420+, I guess the "+" line has more features. that's the reason I get the 720+. it is a 2 bay unit, but it can expand to up to 7 unit with expansions
also worth to mention 720+ have the nvme SSD for the booster drive

overall if you just use it for normal storage 418 will be enough, if you want to setup mini-server type, VPN, media sharing etc... you will need the "+" line
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
1865 posts
2098 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
WeeWee wrote: $ 200 is not worth 418 to 420+, I guess the "+" line has more features. that's the reason I get the 720+. it is a 2 bay unit, but it can expand to up to 7 unit with expansions
Keep in mind that the expansion unit will cost you about the same as a standalone DS420+, and (IIRC) you are limited in that you cannot span volumes between the internal and expansion disks.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2019
839 posts
1698 upvotes
Ottawa
I've seen many NAS threads and although some people were not happy with the amount of posts recommending custom built NAS, I ended up listening to them. I just couldn't justify the premium prices for these boxes given the mostly underpowered/limited hardware. So I built a MUCH powerful Synology NAS at a fraction of the price.

I'm an average tech-savvy person and the main reason that made me take this route is Xpenology. It's the same DSM software that comes with Synology NAS, but you get to run it on a normal PC hardware!

For the hardware, some people prefer to buy servers from ebay because they are dirt cheap and can accommodate a lot of hard drives, but I didn't go that route. Servers are big and not really power efficient due to their old Xeon CPUs.

I wanted something compact, quiet, and power efficient. I ended up buying a Dell Optiplex Mid Tower 3050 with i5-6500 CPU. TDP is 65W but on idle it should be around 30W. The CPU can be swapped with a i5-6500T or any of the 7th Gen intel CPUs. The 6500T or 7500T CPUs have a 35W TDP and 18W idle.

The mid tower can easily fit 3 SSDs and two 3.5" HDD, but I'm going to cut the 2.5" rack from the side to make it wider so that it can fit two extra 3.5" HDDs. A total of four 3.5" HDDs is enough for my use, & I'm pretty sure there's a way to make it fit more. Anyways, any hardware could run Xpenology, so the Optiplex only serves my needs in this case.

The intel 6500 is double the performance of the Celeron CPU in the more expensive Synology 920+ and supports up to 32Gb RAM (it came with 8Gb DDR4). The Synology 920+ comes with 4Gb RAM and has a maximum memory capacity of 8Gb (to me that's a joke when factoring the price premium).

I paid around $250 all in for the Optiplex (ebay). I bought an extra Intel dual nic pic-e card which is totally optional for $20 (from ebay) to do link aggregation, and a SATA controller pcie x16 card that supports up to 8 SATA HDDs for 20$ (kijiji). This way I don't have to worry about limited SATA connections from the motherboard.

Total cost ~ $300.

The Optiplex is very compact yet has a respectable room for upgrades. Here are the motherboard specs:
https://optinethawaii.com/DELL/Dell-Opt ... -Sheet.pdf
Last edited by aouniat on Feb 12th, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3129 posts
2962 upvotes
Antarctica
aouniat wrote: I've seen many NAS threads and although some people were not happy with the amount of posts recommending custom built NAS, I ended up listening to them. I just couldn't justify the premium prices for these boxes given the mostly underpowered/limited hardware. So I built a MUCH powerful Synology NAS at a fraction of the price.

I'm an average tach-savvy person and the main reason that made me take this route is Xpenology. It's the same DSM software that comes with Synology NAS, but you get to run it on a normal PC hardware!

For the hardware, some people prefer to buy servers from ebay because they are dirt cheap and can accommodate a lot of hard drives, but I didn't go that route. Servers are big and not really power efficient due to their old Xeon CPUs.

I wanted something compact, quiet, and power efficient. I ended up buying a Dell Optiplex Mid Tower 3050 with i5-6500 CPU. TDP is 65W but on idle it should be around 30W. The CPU can be swapped with a i5-6500T or any of the 7th Gen intel CPUs. The 6500T or 7500T CPUs have a 35W TDP and 18W idle.

The mid tower can easily fit 3 SSDs and two 3.5" HDD, but I'm going to cut the 2.5" rack from the side to make it wider so that it can fit two extra 3.5" HDDs. A total of four 3.5" HDDs is enough for my use, & I'm pretty sure there's a way to make it fit more. Anyways, any hardware could run Xpenology, so the Optiplex only serves my needs in this case.

The intel 6500 is double the performance of the Celeron CPU in the more expensive Synology 920+ and supports up to 32Gb RAM (it came with 8Gb DDR4). The Synology 920+ comes with 4Gb RAM and has a maximum memory capacity of 8Gb (to me that's a joke when factoring the price premium).

I paid around $250 all in for the Optiplex (ebay). I bought an extra Intel dual nic pic-e card which is totally optional for $20 (from ebay) to do link aggregation, and a SATA controller pcie x16 card that supports up to 8 SATA HDDs for 20$ (kijiji). This way I don't have to worry about limited SATA connections from the motherboard.

Total cost ~ $300.

The Optiplex is very compact yet has a respectable room for upgrades. Here are the motherboard specs:
https://optinethawaii.com/DELL/Dell-Opt ... -Sheet.pdf
Nice! How do you put the additional hard drives in? Strap them to the case through some means? This sounds like a better route as I am thinking of eventually upgrading my pi server to better hardware.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 20, 2019
839 posts
1698 upvotes
Ottawa
Crichtonfan wrote: Nice! How do you put the additional hard drives in? Strap them to the case through some means? This sounds like a better route as I am thinking of eventually upgrading my pi server to better hardware.
I haven't finalized the setup yet as I'm waiting for an additional HDD ro to arrive and the snip tool to cut the aluminum inside the case.

Currently two HDDs fit in the 5.25" bay. One of them is screwed in place & the other is replacing the DVD player.

The extra two HDDs should fit in the 2.5" bay once I cut its side. I'll probably use double sided gorilla tape to keep them separated from the metal.

There's are many ways to do it I guess. It's up to your imagination & creativity.

You can always go with a bigger case or even build a PC from scratch for this purpose.
.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
1865 posts
2098 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
aouniat wrote: ...although some people were not happy with the amount of posts recommending custom built NAS...
Usually, the frustration with custom-built NAS posts in NAS threads is due to a small subset of builders who always trash Synology, QNAP and other pre-built units as a "waste of money" while ignoring both the benefits of pre-built and the drawbacks to self-built. (Obviously, your post isn't one of those!)
Newbie
Aug 22, 2011
44 posts
49 upvotes
EDMONTON
tvisforme wrote: Usually, the frustration with custom-built NAS posts in NAS threads is due to a small subset of builders who always trash Synology, QNAP and other pre-built units as a "waste of money" while ignoring both the benefits of pre-built and the drawbacks to self-built. (Obviously, your post isn't one of those!)
Agreed, been there, custom build my own a while ago, try the hacksynology DSM too. if you have time and your data had the second backup already, go for it, also the downside is if you don't have good knowledge you may end up frustrated or worst lost all your data.

I guess the high price tag of Synology and QNAP is not just for hardware, also need to factor in the customer support, software system already been tested out and less bug than the open system.

PS: on a side note, those boxes are not really for performance by given the cheapest laptop will have better performance, you will really need to look into what you do with those NAS boxes and determine what you hardware or model you need.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 7, 2010
1430 posts
344 upvotes
Man, 12% CB just for today, sweetens the deal further!
Once there was a real deal in front of me I did not cherish. Not until it went OOS did I learn to regret. There's no greater sorrow. If heavens would grant me another chance I would buy buy buy. If I must put down a quantity, I hope it is 10000
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
1865 posts
2098 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
WeeWee wrote: Agreed, been there, custom build my own a while ago, try the hacksynology DSM too. if you have time and your data had the second backup already, go for it, also the downside is if you don't have good knowledge you may end up frustrated or worst lost all your data.

I guess the high price tag of Synology and QNAP is not just for hardware, also need to factor in the customer support, software system already been tested out and less bug than the open system.

PS: on a side note, those boxes are not really for performance by given the cheapest laptop will have better performance, you will really need to look into what you do with those NAS boxes and determine what you hardware or model you need.
I'm a big fan of custom units, having designed, assembled and maintained most of our PCs and network infrastructure for decades. The kids' current PC is like a "grandfather's axe"; while it still bears the same name, it has been upgraded to the point that there's very little (if anything) left of the original hardware from a decade ago. That being said, the "it just works" factor is important and should not be ignored. My current PC is an Alienware (the Costco deal featured on RfD about a year and a half ago) and our NAS gear is Synology because there were other demands on my time.
Jr. Member
Nov 22, 2016
170 posts
184 upvotes
Thanks for this post, I have some old hardware I wanted to do this with.... I tried setting up FreeNAS and UnRAID and couldnt get them to work properly (I think there's a problem with the mobo). This'll give me a good baseline for some hardware.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)