Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Synology ds918. Dell. 739.99. 15% cash back with Ebates and 10% off new account code..

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 12:24 am
[OP]
Aug 20, 2018
216 posts
722 upvotes

[Dell] Synology ds918. Dell. 739.99. 15% cash back with Ebates and 10% off new account code..

Ugh, it looks like I bit the bullet too early last time...

Dell has the ds918+ at 739.99. There’s 15% cash back today, and the 10% off code for new users too. When I purchased this (with 10% ebates) the new user code stacked.

A fairly low price only available today due to the ebates deal.
33 replies
Jun 22, 2019
16 posts
1 upvote
Do I just make a deal account to get the 10%?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1203 posts
691 upvotes
Is this just a large nas?
Jun 19, 2017
16 posts
6 upvotes
Not trying to scare anyone, but I've had terrible experiences with getting cash back from ebates for purchases made at Dell. It took 4 months, and a support ticket with ebates along with constant follow up emails to get $70+ back for my last purchase.

Regarding the ds918, I have one of those and it's worth the investment. I use mine for PC backups, security camera, virtual machine disk storage and Plex. To improve the iops performance I added two nvme modules.
Feb 20, 2009
242 posts
195 upvotes
Mississauga
Kyaku wrote: Is this just a large nas?
It is a 4-bay NAS. If you have normal backup needs, a 2-bay NAS would be 100% fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
1502 posts
626 upvotes
Midland
Does this have a beefy processor to support the full power of Plex?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3305 posts
3278 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Your plex questions can be answered by viewing this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1274624273

The DS918 can handle 4k decoding but only with hardware acceleration (aka you need the paid plex to enable it). I have the 218+ (very similar to the 918 except it' only 2 bays) and it handles everything i need to do. I use an Apple TV for the viewing but it does my torrents, usenet (sonarr/radarr), and file download/management basically.

If you need to software transcode 4k content none of the synology's can do it; you'll need something beefier.
wlee wrote: If you can live with a less powerful model 418 is 4 Bay for $490 before cash back etc, https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/synolog ... l=en&s=dhs
That's a big jump down because it doesn't have the Intel processor so you can't use Docker.
Nov 24, 2017
213 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
Ecsta wrote: Your plex questions can be answered by viewing this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1274624273

The DS918 can handle 4k decoding but only with hardware acceleration (aka you need the paid plex to enable it). I have the 218+ (very similar to the 918 except it' only 2 bays) and it handles everything i need to do. I use an Apple TV for the viewing but it does my torrents, usenet (sonarr/radarr), and file download/management basically.

If you need to software transcode 4k content none of the synology's can do it; you'll need something beefier.

That's a big jump down because it doesn't have the Intel processor so you can't use Docker.
I can second that. Having the ability to run docker means you can basically run anything under the sun. I have a 1817+, but bumped up to 16 Gb of RAM. Running DNS, DHCP, VPN, Web Server, Mail Server along with the usual radarr/sonarr/nzbget/deluge suite.
Aug 27, 2019
2 posts
3 upvotes
I just tried with a new user 10% off coupon and it didn't apply to this NAS :(
Dec 20, 2010
475 posts
427 upvotes
Does anyone have any experience using Nvidia Shield as the Plex server and accessing this DS918 as external storage via USB?

With my current set up this works flawlessly with a WD Elements 5TB external, and I've been eyeing this for a while to replace it long term. I'm wondering if it wakes up and sleeps properly etc, if anyone has a similar set up
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4002 posts
747 upvotes
Windsor
T_Ruff wrote: Does anyone have any experience using Nvidia Shield as the Plex server and accessing this DS918 as external storage via USB?

With my current set up this works flawlessly with a WD Elements 5TB external, and I've been eyeing this for a while to replace it long term. I'm wondering if it wakes up and sleeps properly etc, if anyone has a similar set up
You can mount shares on the Shield, no need to connect it via USB and yes, Plex works great on the Shield with NAS storage.
Sep 27, 2004
873 posts
188 upvotes
I just decided on this NAS a couple days ago. Not in huge rush but would like to buy over coming months. How is this price if I'm able to be patient?
[OP]
Aug 20, 2018
216 posts
722 upvotes
For those asking about the 10% code, yes you create a new account with Dell and they tend to send it fairly quickly.

Also.. I read loads about Docker.. but it’s tough to find direct home use cases - or at least it has been tough for me!! Anyone got any resources I can read with home examples? I’m new to the NAS world, but I have an understanding of containers.
Oct 19, 2007
641 posts
327 upvotes
Wesleyat wrote: Also.. I read loads about Docker.. but it’s tough to find direct home use cases - or at least it has been tough for me!! Anyone got any resources I can read with home examples? I’m new to the NAS world, but I have an understanding of containers.
I think the majority use is semi-automating one's home media library.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1428 posts
360 upvotes
Calgary
This is a really good deal, I don't know if I need another nas yet but maybe I should.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
6208 posts
4274 upvotes
T_Ruff wrote: Does anyone have any experience using Nvidia Shield as the Plex server and accessing this DS918 as external storage via USB?

I have the Shield and DS918+ and although I use Emby instead of Plex, I can tell you that you will have no problems.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
6208 posts
4274 upvotes
codex wrote: I just decided on this NAS a couple days ago. Not in huge rush but would like to buy over coming months. How is this price if I'm able to be patient?
I paid $654.99 from Newegg on eBay Nov 21, 2018. Then used a 15% off coupon.

I know, time machine and all, just giving some insight.