Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30926 posts
1759 upvotes
Fernando Poo

Dell threatens me for asking a question

Posted a question on Dell's forum asking about what panel type they use on the XPS 13 since Tom's Hardware says it isn't IPS. I then get an email saying the post was deleted because it didn't meet their posting guidelines. I then post that they did this in reply to a Facebook ad, they deleted that too. Then I said I'm going to post in hardware forums about their behavior when asked basic questions, they then say I'm posting "Dell centric information" and demand I remove any such posts. Obviously, I didn't and got more motivated. ;)

Go to their facebook page and see all the anger against Dell, and that they are also starting to threaten these people as well. Couldn't find a positive comment on the entire page. Evil company.
25 replies
Sep 16, 2015
342 posts
708 upvotes
Calgary, AB
One of the most offensive aspects of Facebook is that companies can censor comments on their pages. A thousand angry customers can simply disappear with a few mouse clicks.

Of course, the flip side is that if 99% of customers are happy and only 1% are unhappy, you can bet that only those with negative experiences will post.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30926 posts
1759 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Well, the company has real issues if they reject posts for asking basic questions like the one I asked, then threaten me for asking it again elsewhere. BTW, I've seen plenty of posts with other companies that are positive, but yes, they generally are people who are not satisfied (if you're satisfied what do you have to complain about right?).

Seems to me the reason they deleted my post was they don't want people to know the answer to the question (ie: using TN panels??) and threatening me claiming "Dell centric information" and demanding my removing such posts elsewhere. Clearly, they want what is hidden to remain so (or they're idiots).
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4706 posts
3816 upvotes
hagbard wrote: Well, the company has real issues if they reject posts for asking basic questions like the one I asked, then threaten me for asking it again elsewhere. BTW, I've seen plenty of posts with other companies that are positive, but yes, they generally are people who are not satisfied (if you're satisfied what do you have to complain about right?).

Seems to me the reason they deleted my post was they don't want people to know the answer to the question (ie: using TN panels??) and threatening me claiming "Dell centric information" and demanding my removing such posts elsewhere. Clearly, they want what is hidden to remain so (or they're idiots).
You didn't elaborate, but how is Dell threatening you and others on FB? Cease and desist or ?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3121 posts
3083 upvotes
GTA
StatsGuy wrote: You didn't elaborate, but how is Dell threatening you and others on FB? Cease and desist or ?
Doesn't look like they threatened the OP. They told him to remove his posts claiming "Dell centric information" but the OP didn't post what Dell will do if anything if he didn't remove them. Unless there is more to the story OP is exaggerating.
Last edited by tew on Feb 8th, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30926 posts
1759 upvotes
Fernando Poo
StatsGuy wrote: You didn't elaborate, but how is Dell threatening you and others on FB? Cease and desist or ?
Just they're telling me to delete any comments made in other forums.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4828 posts
2724 upvotes
Toronto
So - not really a threat.
They are simply asking you to do something you do not want to do.
Feb 4, 2011
594 posts
375 upvotes
hagbard wrote: Well, the company has real issues if they reject posts for asking basic questions like the one I asked, then threaten me for asking it again elsewhere. BTW, I've seen plenty of posts with other companies that are positive, but yes, they generally are people who are not satisfied (if you're satisfied what do you have to complain about right?).

No offence, but what is your definition for "threaten"?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2820 posts
2070 upvotes
Toronto
Not a fan of Dell but the embellishment of using threatening is worse.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19223 posts
6775 upvotes
Toronto
You don't normally have companies contacting you, demanding that you delete something. Yes, that's a threat as threats come online.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4828 posts
2724 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote: You don't normally have companies contacting you, demanding that you delete something. Yes, that's a threat as threats come online.
Sounds like Dell feels threatened by the question.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30926 posts
1759 upvotes
Fernando Poo
shikotee wrote: Sounds like Dell feels threatened by the question.
They're threatened by "what type of panel is used in the XPS 13, Tom's Hardware guide says it isn't IPS". That was the entire question. They deleted it, and when I asked why on facebook, and repeated the question I got:

"To ensure the security of your information, I'd suggest that you delete the post containing any Dell centric information & send us a private/direct message." My thought is, "or what?"
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
19014 posts
6883 upvotes
Socially Distanced
It doesn't seem like they made a threat against you as in do what we say or else. No threats of harm, lawsuits or concrete galoshes.
That said Dell is a headache which i learned from buying a monitor from them and in future won't be buying from them again.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2167 posts
3393 upvotes
Toronto
Clickbait title and hyperbole by the OP here. Dell’s not great but “threaten” is a gross exaggeration.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30926 posts
1759 upvotes
Fernando Poo
ozzie16 wrote: Clickbait title and hyperbole by the OP here. Dell’s not great but “threaten” is a gross exaggeration.
How about "vague threat"?
Apr 16, 2008
304 posts
273 upvotes
hagbard wrote: They're threatened by "what type of panel is used in the XPS 13, Tom's Hardware guide says it isn't IPS". That was the entire question. They deleted it, and when I asked why on facebook, and repeated the question I got:

"To ensure the security of your information, I'd suggest that you delete the post containing any Dell centric information & send us a private/direct message." My thought is, "or what?"
This doesn’t sound like a threat, they seemingly think you posted some personal information and are asking you to send them a DM (to ensure the security of your information). From experience Dell customer service is very unclear in their communication and also very vague. I am failing to see any threat, in fact they say they “suggest” which isn’t even a veiled threat. They can also delete anything they want on their own website.

I am NOT a fan of Dell customer service and can’t think of a worse customer service experience in the last couple of years, but to call that threatening is a great exaggeration.
Aug 8, 2010
476 posts
50 upvotes
hagbard wrote: They're threatened by "what type of panel is used in the XPS 13, Tom's Hardware guide says it isn't IPS". That was the entire question. They deleted it, and when I asked why on facebook, and repeated the question I got:

That's a great threat, if they mean they will disclose your information or use your information against you
Feb 4, 2011
594 posts
375 upvotes
hagbard wrote: "To ensure the security of your information, I'd suggest that you delete the post containing any Dell centric information & send us a private/direct message." My thought is, "or what?"
Well, nothing will happen if you don't send them private/direct message. They may just delete your post in their forum or FB, indicating their policy.

Why don't you send them a private/direct message and see what they reply?

IMHO, unless you get a cease and desist, I don't consider it as a threat. They are exercising their rights within their forum and FB, which most vendors do.
Feb 4, 2011
594 posts
375 upvotes
1000islands wrote: That's a great threat, if they mean they will disclose your information or use your information against you
Nothing in their message says that they will disclose or use OP's information against OP.
It is standard in forums to request to contact by DM, if the post contains order number or customer information.

Maybe product rep misunderstood that OP is asking about his/her order.