• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2022 12:05 pm
Tags:
Jan 31, 2018
962 posts
1700 upvotes
Winnipeg
ji2o0k wrote: Hahah oh man, I'm in the same boat!

Using the U3419 - so tempted to switch to this U3821! But the U3419 still works beautifully!
I paid for the upgrade through a work account, some discretionary funds that would have otherwise expired, so it cost me nothing. I must admit, if it was coming out of my own pocket, I'd be a *lot* more hesitant to upgrade.

If I were you, I'd wait and see what a putative U3823 brings. The hope might be that an IPS-Black version of the panel is released, or perhaps a 38" OLED version of the panel from the AW3423, or perhaps adding higher refresh rates. After being stuck with 'standard' IPS for years in the Ultrasharp line, it seems like we are really at a tipping point where lots of new tech should be coming down the pipeline to really improve those little bits of performance.
Nov 27, 2016
393 posts
453 upvotes
m8x
Here I thought I was seriously upgrading with a $250 2K 27" screen !

Clearly I'm a rank piker compared to you guys !

Astonished Face
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
2356 posts
1129 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
ji2o0k wrote:
I've got my main rig hooked up and the work laptop hooked up - can easily switch between the 2.....
Did you unplug/plug usb-c cable?
I'm afraid frequent unplug/plug will damage usb-v ports on labtop. Trying to find a USB-C switch but haven't find one.
Sep 29, 2015
478 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nice deal - currently using the 3419 as well which if I recall correctly was $800 ish on sale at the time. I’d jump on this if I didn’t already own the 34.

For anyone on the fence, I made the switch from dual 24” to an ultrawide for my home office and haven’t looked back. Mostly causal use and productivity for me, personal use and financial models for work. Love the USBC one cable solution @ home, especially when swapping between 3 laptops frequently.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1094 posts
768 upvotes
Montreal
How would this compare to a Dell S3221QS for fine detail (text) specifically?

The Dell S3221QS is VA, but higher DPI. Not sure if IPS would be better for text than VA, if the VA has a higher DPI.

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22981 posts
4533 upvotes
Toronto
MrBigNose wrote: Did you unplug/plug usb-c cable?
I'm afraid frequent unplug/plug will damage usb-v ports on labtop. Trying to find a USB-C switch but haven't find one.
I do unplug & plug the USB-C cable into my work laptop.......I don't care too much about the work laptop since it is the company's.

But I'm careful when plugging & unplugging - I don't think it will do much damage to the port.

My main rig is connected using the USB-A with a HDMI cable & that doesn't move.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Jul 4, 2007
523 posts
518 upvotes
Pickering, Ontario
2kaccordcoupe wrote: Excellent monitor. I have been using the previous model 3818dw since 2018 as my daily screen. Love it.
Same. I got the amex deal a while back and was able to get 15% off coupon attached to it through a dell rep. Ended up being just under $1000 all said and done
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1094 posts
768 upvotes
Montreal
davidm wrote: How would this compare to a Dell S3221QS for fine detail (text) specifically?

The Dell S3221QS is VA, but higher DPI. Not sure if IPS would be better for text than VA, if the VA has a higher DPI.

Thanks!
Ordered the u3821DW to answer my own question.

Answer: It's better. Aside from it being widescreen, IPS is just better for clarity than VA, even when VA is higher dot pitch.

I never found the VA panel to have remarkable contrast, in normal lighting there's not much difference and it's all kind of "who cares" when compared to OLED anyway.

I had the AW 34" QD-OLED on order, but am going to cancel it. Would have liked to try OLED and a higher refresh rate/sync since people say it's an improvement even for work like software development, but I really like the size of the u3821DW.

Edit: it's not that extra DPI wouldn't be missed, I'd love a curved 5k2k screen, but with this screen I'll be able to sit back a bit farther, so it won't be as obvious.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)