• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 9:51 pm
[OP]
Dec 17, 2015
67 posts
155 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC

[Dell] UltraSharp 27" 1440p 60 Hz USB-C IPS Monitor (U2719DC) 463$

Seems to be a good price for this monitor. Not suitable for gaming, more of a productivity monitor (WFH). Selling points for me were USB-C with 65W power delivery, QHD resolution resulting in a 108 ppi sweetspot for MacOS, fully adjustable stand, slim profile, thin bezels, and 99% sRGB coverage. Reviews seemed mostly favorable, cons seemed acceptable to me, so I decided to bite the bullet.

Link

Sale price is 559.99, use coupon code 10%OFFMONITOR to bring price down to 503.99, and 8% ebates with Dell Technologies for Work to bring it further down to 463.67

Edit: You may need to turn off your popup blocker for the link to work. Thanks to @.fess for the hint!

Update 11/06/2020: I received my U2719DC on Monday and I really ended up hating it. The portion of the screen along the bottom edge of the display had a shadow effect/softness/fuziness that was really distracting. In the process of returning.

This post describes the issue pretty well.

Dell says it’s an intended part of the design, which sounds to me like an excuse for a design issue they are not currently able to solve.
Last edited by juldum on Jun 11th, 2020 1:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
115 replies
Apr 1, 2013
628 posts
770 upvotes
Fredericton
At that price 60 hz is unacceptable.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
3068 posts
357 upvotes
dracolnyte wrote: i would think this is better, even has freesync and higher nits (brightness) for cheaper price. only difference is the stand
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-27 ... ccessories

do note that I got the predecessor for around $270 in 2018
OP is an Ultrasharp monitor. You're paying for factory calibration, better stand, and a 3 year warranty with panel exchange versus 1.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
1374 posts
774 upvotes
AB
PSA: If you can't open the OP's link, disable your ad-blocker and try again. I had to disable my uBlock Origin extension in Chrome in order for the link to work.
Sep 7, 2009
630 posts
250 upvotes
.fess wrote: 60 hz... pass.
What effect does 60Hz have if using as a work monitor (coding, spreadsheets, word docs)? Eye strain?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
14317 posts
15081 upvotes
holden wrote: What effect does 60Hz have if using as a work monitor (coding, spreadsheets, word docs)? Eye strain?
Any movement is minorly jarring at 60Hz with reasonable eyes.

It's more noticeable on a monitor close up, than a TV.

Transitions, windows movements, animations, etc. all look minorly worse.

That being said, it's 2020 and I use a 4K TV as a monitor at 60Hz.

Call me in 2024 when I'm on my 4K120 MicroLED / OLED TV-Monitor, I'll tell you about the quaint days of 2020 with hindsight.
>> Govt. Relief for Businesses: 75% Wage Subsidy <<

COVID-19 Etiquette
Whatever your personal opinion, please respect hygiene and PPE guidelines and mandates laid down by (1) government, (2) private establishments.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2015
67 posts
155 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
life359 wrote: At that price 60 hz is unacceptable.
The higher frequency IPS displays I could find either didn’t have 1440p resolution, usb-c power delivery or a fully adjustable stand, which were all deal breakers for me. Considering I’ll be using this mostly for productivity, I’m fine with the slower 60hz frequency.

I think there’s a way to set the display at 74hz without getting any artifacts, but I’ll probably leave it as is just the same.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2015
67 posts
155 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
dracolnyte wrote: i would think this is better, even has freesync and higher nits (brightness) for cheaper price. only difference is the stand
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-27 ... ccessories

do note that I got the predecessor for around $270 in 2018
Yeah it looks cool (that slimness!) and has great brightness, but I was turned off by the fact that its stand is not height adjustable and it’s not VESA mountable.
Dec 23, 2015
273 posts
180 upvotes
Kingston, ON
holden wrote: What effect does 60Hz have if using as a work monitor (coding, spreadsheets, word docs)? Eye strain?
None, I have the P2419HC, which is the Ultra series basically but no calibration and 1080p vs 1440p. It's a nice monitor, great for WFH.

Everyone near is picky about something with a monitor and they cant have it all, 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, 100% SRGB range, OLED with Vesa for $200. Anything less is a pass.

The refresh rate doesn't matter as much as people have convinced themselves it does.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1076 posts
339 upvotes
Montreal
None whatsoever for productivity and practically all usage scenarios for most users. Keep in mind that the vocal part of RFD tech crowd has a gamer's mentality (whether they are actually serious gamers, nobody knows). They will gladly jump on a deal for a 1080p screen but will tell you 60hz is "unacceptable".
[OP]
Dec 17, 2015
67 posts
155 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
syntaxerror wrote: Everyone near is picky about something with a monitor and they cant have it all, 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time, 100% SRGB range, OLED with Vesa for $200. Anything less is a pass.

The refresh rate doesn't matter as much as people have convinced themselves it does.
I think you’ve summed it up nicely. Bottom-line is different things will matter to different people and researching a product to determine what those things are can be a time consuming process.

Which leads me to a little rant: I feel like if someone disagrees on what’s important in a product just because their needs are different, they shouldn’t label a deal as crap or downvote it. It’s really disheartening to the person who took hours to research a product that answers their needs and decided to take 20 more minutes out of their day to contribute his findings to this community.

I think this is really important if we want lurkers to start posting more. Trust me, it can be intimidating at times reading all the comments in this sub. Some people are ruthless!