Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Dell

Ultrasharp UP2414Q 4K IPS 60hz Monitor for $873 (University students) or $920

• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2014 7:36 am
Tags:
Aug 21, 2012
108 posts
34 upvotes
SASKATOON

[Dell] Ultrasharp UP2414Q 4K IPS 60hz Monitor for $873 (University students) or $920

Dell reduced the price of the UP2414Q by $170, and now is taking it a further $276 off. This brings the monitor down to $873 instead of the $1235 it was just a month ago, provided you go through their MPP. Otherwise, it's still just $920 instead of $1299.

The monitor has good reviews, an anti-glare screen, and supports 60hz at 4k through DisplayPort / Mini DisplayPort using MST. It says ships in 3+ weeks, but when I ordered mine it shipped in about 4-5 days. Unfortunately in my case because of it shipping earlier, Dell refuses to give a price difference refund because it's been 34 days instead of the 30 limit. Still, it was a great monitor at the $1230 I bought it, and at $873 it's definitely a hot deal, provided that you're the type of person who likes a 24" non-glossy monitor.

Non-MPP Link: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... noteSearch

Some reviews:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/dell-up24 ... tor_review
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/del ... ,3781.html
43 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1457 posts
889 upvotes
Just make sure you have a strong enough GPU to power the thing if you intend to play any games on it.
Aug 21, 2012
108 posts
34 upvotes
SASKATOON
nksharp wrote: Just make sure you have a strong enough GPU to power the thing if you intend to play any games on it.
Yeah, for any 4k monitor you're probably going to want a pretty solid GPU.

I'm actually using a GTX670, and it works okay, but I don't play too many GPU intensive games, mostly things like CS:GO and Path of Exile where it runs quite smoothly. I tried Bioshock Infinite, and it plays okay at pretty good settings, but certainly not 60 FPS.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
I just got the Samsung UD590, UHD @ 60Hz as well. TN panel is it only downfall, but coming from my U2711 IPS Monitor, its not bad at all. The UD590 @ $599 is a steal, works great for games as well!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3039 posts
1529 upvotes
Markham
Go ahead you pixel maniacs, I'm gonna wait till it's mainstream and when there are actually lots of stuff to do with the pixels. ;)
Seriously, prices are plummeting for 4K now, why not just wait a while...
Aug 21, 2012
108 posts
34 upvotes
SASKATOON
AlexJosh wrote: Go ahead you pixel maniacs, I'm gonna wait till it's mainstream and when there are actually lots of stuff to do with the pixels. ;)
People make this comment on every thread, as well as how terrible it is on Windows, and I can guarantee you they have not tried a 4k monitor.

If you do use Windows however, a lot of programs that don't support high DPI can work nicely by just rightclicking the program, selecting compatability, and ticking disable DPI scaling, then increase the font size in whatever way the program supports.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3039 posts
1529 upvotes
Markham
Kappsi wrote: People make this comment on every thread, as well as how terrible it is on Windows, and I can guarantee you they have not tried a 4k monitor.

If you do use Windows however, a lot of programs that don't support high DPI can work nicely by just rightclicking the program, selecting compatability, and ticking disable DPI scaling, then increase the font size in whatever way the program supports.
It's not terrible, it's a fantastic thing, and yes I'm well aware of the DPI adjusting in windows, I'm using a 1880p and I'm using this as well.

I'm just saying, 4K prices are decreasing so fast that a deal now may look like a joke in no time so MAYBE, IF YOU CAN, you MIGHT AS WELL wait A LITTLE BIT.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1074 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
Its hard enough to stay above 60FPS the majority of the time at 2560x1440 with an SLI setup...gaming at 4K, unless your willing to play on low settings (what's the point?!), is near pointless. Yes the hardware is out there...but the real problem lies in the software. 3 or 4 GPUs just don't scale well enough yet. Unless you only play Minecraft or Call of Duty 4 then why bother, I'd rather have high settings and 60FPS myself.
Aug 21, 2012
108 posts
34 upvotes
SASKATOON
wetcardboard wrote: Its hard enough to stay above 60FPS the majority of the time at 2560x1440 with an SLI setup...gaming at 4K, unless your willing to play on low settings (what's the point?!), is near pointless. Yes the hardware is out there...but the real problem lies in the software. 3 or 4 GPUs just don't scale well enough yet. Unless you only play Minecraft or Call of Duty 4 then why bother, I'd rather have high settings and 60FPS myself.
Antialiasing can take a huge amount of graphics power, particularly with fill rate which is what a higher resolution requires more of. When considering this, you need to keep in mind that you should either disable AA or set it to a low number like 2x when using a 4K monitor.
Feb 15, 2010
702 posts
700 upvotes
Surrey
AlexJosh wrote: Go ahead you pixel maniacs, I'm gonna wait till it's mainstream and when there are actually lots of stuff to do with the pixels. ;)
I don't understand why people say this. I want those who can afford it/want it now to purchase items like this now because it helps to create demand and drive the price down quicker. If people don't purchase it the price stays higher.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2005
1417 posts
313 upvotes
London, ON
4k in 24in is a little too small for me. Maybe 27 or 30 would be better.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2577 posts
1733 upvotes
I have one 290X, mind you its clocked at 1200/6400. I can play BF4 on all high settings, AA off(its not a necessity @ 4k), Post-processing AA on low and pull in playable framerates of 40-55fps. Now this isnt ideal but for the time being it works just fine, in time i'll grab another card when prices drop.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1332 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
zickvon wrote: 4k in 24in is a little too small for me. Maybe 27 or 30 would be better.
agreed,

Size>>>>>>>> pixel count.

At this price, I rather get a >27"

I don't understand the 4k craze. It's hardly supported and early adopters in tech always get the snub. I was one of the first to get a plasma TV ($8000 at the time) and after 2-3 years, comparable TVs were 50% cheaper and the PQ technology was just SO much better.

All this is, right now, is bragging rights. 4K on a 24" is terrible

I've thrown my money around extravagant displays and wasted some. Now I pass the torch.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
24 inch with 4k is...bleh

You need a 30inch for 4k.
heatware available upon request
Apr 5, 2007
143 posts
41 upvotes
goonx126 wrote: minimum.
Don't think I'd agree with that. I'd have to see the monitor to say for sure, but even something like a 5 inch phone screen benefits from 1080p, so I can't see any reason why a 24 inch monitor wouldn't benefit from 4K. A quick glance at the tech specs shows that it has 185 pixels per inch. I've seen many phones with more than double that. I realize we're not talking about phones solely, but viewing distances can be somewhat comparable. I guess a possible issue could be things getting too small, but I haven't had much experience in that area. That said, I'm still pretty happy with the price and performance of those Korean 1440p monitors, but I believe this would be a noticeable upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
Someone who has one, can you take a photo of what the screen looks like? Would like to see what icons / browser buttons / regular text in notepad looks like at full 4k resolution with no scaling, pixel for pixel 100% on this 24" screen.. I imagine text would be barely readable?

And does scaling work well? Like on mac retina laptops?
Nov 7, 2011
865 posts
919 upvotes
British Columbia
I jumped on the UHD bandwagon and bought the lenovo 2 laptop - the colours are horrendous and the screen is dark - plus it does not have dedicated graphics so you can't game at that resolution. I understand that this post is about a monitor - but what I'm trying to show is that the companies release this crap before its ready for the public and us - the techno geeks that want the newest and greatest jump on it - usually to be disappointed. 4k will be the new standard - in 5 years all the wall marts will be selling 50 inch 4k's for 900 bucks. If you jump on this now you will likely be disappointed when in a year 400 bucks will get you a 27inch 4k with 3d. I normally do support new tech - but the 4k in small forms is essentially useless. I owned a red camera for a bit which is a 4k movie camera. We shot everything in 4k but downrezzed it to 2k for editing. 2k is very close to 1080p. Look at how much they've dropped off the price already - its an indicator that they are testing the waters - these monitors likely cost no more than 1080p to manufacture. 1080p like ntsc SD were arbitrary standards - not technical limitations.
Aug 21, 2012
108 posts
34 upvotes
SASKATOON
fightbriz wrote: Someone who has one, can you take a photo of what the screen looks like? Would like to see what icons / browser buttons / regular text in notepad looks like at full 4k resolution with no scaling, pixel for pixel 100% on this 24" screen.. I imagine text would be barely readable?

And does scaling work well? Like on mac retina laptops?
I can try to post some pictures later today after I get home from work, probably not for another 10 hours or so though. That being said, you would not use this at regular resolution. It might be readable, but it's certainly not very nice. I prefer small fonts, and I still use it at 150% DPI scaling. As for what DPI scaling is like, it completely depends. Windows 8.1 is required to fix Microsoft's own programs being broken with it (previously things like Windows Photo Viewer wouldn't work properly on high DPI settings), and while some programs like Firefox have proper scaling, others like Chrome you'll want to disable DPI scaling from the compatibility tab and just increase font size. There's a few that just work poorly at high DPI even with DPI scaling disabled, and in these cases they'll appear blurry as Windows upscales them.
Aug 21, 2012
108 posts
34 upvotes
SASKATOON
bengoldenberg wrote: I jumped on the UHD bandwagon and bought the lenovo 2 laptop - the colours are horrendous and the screen is dark - plus it does not have dedicated graphics so you can't game at that resolution. I understand that this post is about a monitor - but what I'm trying to show is that the companies release this crap before its ready for the public and us - the techno geeks that want the newest and greatest jump on it - usually to be disappointed. 4k will be the new standard - in 5 years all the wall marts will be selling 50 inch 4k's for 900 bucks. If you jump on this now you will likely be disappointed when in a year 400 bucks will get you a 27inch 4k with 3d. I normally do support new tech - but the 4k in small forms is essentially useless. I owned a red camera for a bit which is a 4k movie camera. We shot everything in 4k but downrezzed it to 2k for editing. 2k is very close to 1080p. Look at how much they've dropped off the price already - its an indicator that they are testing the waters - these monitors likely cost no more than 1080p to manufacture. 1080p like ntsc SD were arbitrary standards - not technical limitations.
You're talking about a laptop with a poor quality screen. This is a high quality monitor with excellent colors, not just some crappy monitor they try to get out to make it 4K.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)