• Mar 18th, 2014 12:51 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 21, 2008
75 posts
47 upvotes

[Dell] Venue 8 16GB Tablet 8-inch Screen $149 *Free shipping

Dell Venue 8" Tablet for $149.99 shipped free from Dell. Regular $179.99

For $150 you get a 8" android tablet that has Android 4.3 and kitkat on the way (need intel to finish their work so its compatible with the processor, estimated late March or early April).
8" screen has 30% more surface than a 7"....

http://www.androidbenchmark.net/phone.p ... nue+8+3830

http://www.androidbenchmark.net/phone.p ... xus+7+2013

Compare the benchmarks to the Nexus...

The dell doesn't have as good of a screen or camera as the nexus but it runs on a Into Atom Z2580 processor and has 2GB of ram.

For $150 I think this is the all around best deal for a bigger than 7" tablet (which I find a bit too small)
54 replies
Banned
Mar 2, 2014
107 posts
28 upvotes
What are these useful for? I am asking cause I am curious. I have a 10" iPad and it is barely enough for browsing the web. Anything less I would say it would mostly be used as an eBook reader, cause an 8" screen is too small to do much else. So what do people use these tablets for? I know the price is cheap but it wouldn't matter if it was $100 if the screen is so cramped it would be uncomfortable to use .
QAZ
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5498 posts
2685 upvotes
Winnipeg
soccerboy wrote: no use for you since even a 10" is not big enough for you. Stick with the big screen TV
lol
some people use 3 inch phone.
So it's personal preference.
Aug 17, 2010
574 posts
154 upvotes
Laval
How is this compared to the Kobo Arc? Been strongly debating returning it this week as the backlight bleeding along the edges and washed out colours are a bit annoying.
Feb 23, 2010
458 posts
199 upvotes
EDMONTON
demez wrote: How is this compared to the Kobo Arc? Been strongly debating returning it this week as the backlight bleeding along the edges and washed out colours are a bit annoying.
Debating that too. Based on the ppi thought I would imagine the Kobo Arc has a much sharper screen
May 9, 2012
784 posts
194 upvotes
Montreal
1. Is this better then the galaxy tab 3 8inch? Does it have google market?

2. Is there any addition discount I can use ( student discount, ebates?)

Thx
[OP]
May 21, 2008
75 posts
47 upvotes
barginfreak wrote: 1. Is this better then the galaxy tab 3 8inch? Does it have google market?

2. Is there any addition discount I can use ( student discount, ebates?)

Thx
Destroys the Galaxy Tab 3... night and day

It has full google play... its being updated to kitkat within one to two months... this is a middle to top end device
[OP]
May 21, 2008
75 posts
47 upvotes
demez wrote: How is this compared to the Kobo Arc? Been strongly debating returning it this week as the backlight bleeding along the edges and washed out colours are a bit annoying.
screen is a bit better, no bleeding thats for sure. It's not as vibrant as the new Nexus 7 thats for sure. What the dell does have is basically a pure android experience and a solid all around build quality.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2172 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
Bharrah wrote: What are these useful for? I am asking cause I am curious. I have a 10" iPad and it is barely enough for browsing the web. Anything less I would say it would mostly be used as an eBook reader, cause an 8" screen is too small to do much else. So what do people use these tablets for? I know the price is cheap but it wouldn't matter if it was $100 if the screen is so cramped it would be uncomfortable to use .
Got myself a 10" tab a long time ago, and also could not find much use for it. Most people I've seen are using it for browsing the web, playing games, updating facebook, browsing pictures, and watching movies in bed. Reading books is also somewhat popular. I actually wanted to use it for reading as well, and found it uncomfortable for that (but then again - so was the Sony eReader, and I got the tab instead of the reader). I often do markings in books (or copy/paste, if I'm reading on computer), but doing either is very inconvenient on a tablet.
At one point, I tried to use it as youtube browser while working out on elliptical - it was kind of ok, but I ended up replacing it with a laptop. So, at this point I have no use for the tab, and kind of thinking mounting it on the wall and connecting a couple of speakers to it, to have it set up as an oversized mp3 player.

Personally, it seems to me that tablet is supposed to be a computer/laptop replacement for people who are very light users and don't need to type a lot. For myself, I find that tablet slows me down a great deal over using computer.
[OP]
May 21, 2008
75 posts
47 upvotes
soccerboy wrote: updated to kitkat? source?
there is nothing official, but as soon as Intel was done with Android 4.3, Dell released it within week for the Venue... Intel is currently working on KitKat... take that for what it is... it currently runs 4.3 which is still amazing for the price
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
8917 posts
1259 upvotes
Richmond Hill
great price for 8", very fast, but a bit heavy, screen could be better, overall a keeper imo
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1010 upvotes
Thornhill
stevehume wrote: there is nothing official, but as soon as Intel was done with Android 4.3, Dell released it within week for the Venue... Intel is currently working on KitKat... take that for what it is... it currently runs 4.3 which is still amazing for the price
Dell has of yet provided no details about whether KitKat or Jelly Bean will reach its Android Venue 7 and Venue 8 slates, which both run Android 4.2