Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] Vostro 14 3490 Laptop 14in HD, i3-10110U, 4GB, 1TB HDD $439 possible 8% Rakuten, 10% off email coupon, $50 off coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:19 pm
Apr 21, 2012
454 posts
630 upvotes
Ontario
redflagdealsguy wrote: eMMC performance is sometimes worse, they're garbage storage devices.

They're designed to be garbage to hobble low end systems.
But the latency kills HDD's.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15488 posts
16727 upvotes
mobbie wrote: But the latency kills HDD's.
HDDs are not good but compared to a bogged down or overloaded eMMC.... The latter is designed to maximize human frustration.

Both are weak though, hardly worth arguing over.
Apr 24, 2013
505 posts
289 upvotes
Crna Gora
We were living fine with HDD long before SSD. It is not that bad at all.

On the other hand EMMC is pure hell
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1229 posts
621 upvotes
aviador wrote: IMO, i5-10210U > i3-10110U and for $60 more these Vostros are still cost effective (if you want more cores and a bit better multicore performance, though iGPU might be similar).

I posted the cheapest laptop option (i3-10110U, HDD) considering this laptop more like a relatively inexpensive online learning tool for kids (~$350) not needing upgrades out of the box (upgrades are desirable but not required) and not a laptop tool for adults (work from home or personal use) or college students. IMO, for WFH or work "thin" client or college a more suitable laptop would need good wifi (2x2:2 ac), good camera (HD, 2 mics), good screen (FHD, IPS preferable, high contrast ratio), enough RAM, NVME SSD and at least a 4C/4T processor (R3 4300U or above, i5-1035G1 or above). Use cases are relative and varied though, so to each their own.
Thanks for the reply. So if I'm understanding correctly, no need to upgrade as this laptop is sufficient for target market. A better (more expensive) computer would be for a different market and then none of the specs would be sufficient... is that the basic gist?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1229 posts
621 upvotes
Glancealot wrote: Hot if FHD. as of right now, it is warm. but good effort and good job bringing those coupons to the attention of others.

i have a feeling that there are price errors on dell's website, for example, this one shows up as door-buster but there is no discount at all.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/la ... igurations
Just wanted to confirm... with all the discounts, this is $345. Is this only a warm deal? I will wait if only warm, but just wanted to make sure the warm comment was based on $345 (plus tax) and not the $439 price. Thank you in advance, and to anybody that can answer the question...
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2012
1011 posts
227 upvotes
Markham
It is the screen resolution that made it into a warm deal. If the screen is FHD, this is hot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4526 posts
2919 upvotes
Burnaby
ktkn wrote: Thanks for the reply. So if I'm understanding correctly, no need to upgrade as this laptop is sufficient for target market. A better (more expensive) computer would be for a different market and then none of the specs would be sufficient... is that the basic gist?
More or less.

It seems that each laptop family adds/subtracts features (e.g., longer span life battery, battery with fast charge, USB-C PD/DP, wifi 2x2 ax, better screen, etc.) from the overall package. Sometimes it's better to jump to another product family than upgrade within a fixed product family. In the case of this Vostro 3490 if you start adding $60 for processor upgrade, $80 for NVME SSD, $90 for memory for a cost approx. $570, then you are perhaps better off starting with a different baseline (different laptop family) that is closer to what you wish. For example, the Vostro 3590 for $699 before discounts and rebates. It's got 15" FHD, i5-10210U, 256GB SSD, 1x8GB. If all promos stack successfully, this laptop would cost pretax (699-50)*0.9 = $584 and you'd get ~$47 cashback, for an equivalent pretax cost of around $540+. In the case of the 3490, upgrading to 16GB and SSD, you'd park the 4GB RAM stick and the HDD during the warranty period, in the case of the 5590 you'd only add 1x8GB compatible with its current stick for getting that 16GB RAM goal. Alternatively, you could go for a consumer laptop which usually offer more/better components for their price (compared to business/corporate products). In RFD, there have been already several instances of consumer laptops with FHD screen, equipped with Ryzen 4500U/4700U, SSD, AX wifi card, premium battery, 8+ GB RAM in the low $600. The closer your baseline is to your goal, the less waste.

PC manufacturers segment the market too finely.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15488 posts
16727 upvotes
Uranium101 wrote: It is the screen resolution that made it into a warm deal. If the screen is FHD, this is hot.
At 14", it's not a big deal. People are too worked up IMO.

PPI is still decent.

@aviador has earned an upvote for a good value machine. A PassMark of 4000 on a new 14" laptop at sub-$350 is attractive.

Dare I say, good deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2188 posts
705 upvotes
Mississauga
aviador wrote: More or less.

It seems that each laptop family adds/subtracts features (e.g., longer span life battery, battery with fast charge, USB-C PD/DP, wifi 2x2 ax, better screen, etc.) from the overall package. Sometimes it's better to jump to another product family than upgrade within a fixed product family. In the case of this Vostro 3490 if you start adding $60 for processor upgrade, $80 for NVME SSD, $90 for memory for a cost approx. $570, then you are perhaps better off starting with a different baseline (different laptop family) that is closer to what you wish. For example, the Vostro 3590 for $699 before discounts and rebates. It's got 15" FHD, i5-10210U, 256GB SSD, 1x8GB. If all promos stack successfully, this laptop would cost pretax (699-50)*0.9 = $584 and you'd get ~$47 cashback, for an equivalent pretax cost of around $540+. In the case of the 3490, upgrading to 16GB and SSD, you'd park the 4GB RAM stick and the HDD during the warranty period, in the case of the 5590 you'd only add 1x8GB compatible with its current stick for getting that 16GB RAM goal. Alternatively, you could go for a consumer laptop which usually offer more/better components for their price (compared to business/corporate products). In RFD, there have been already several instances of consumer laptops with FHD screen, equipped with Ryzen 4500U/4700U, SSD, AX wifi card, premium battery, 8+ GB RAM in the low $600. The closer your baseline is to your goal, the less waste.

PC manufacturers segment the market too finely.
I just ordered the 3590 @ 580+ tax.. and I still have to see if it gets the 8% rakuten..
If it does (-$47) its definitely deal for a 10g i5, 8g ram and 256sdd and 15"FHD 1920x1080... thanks OP.
My target was $500 .. and this came the closest without be messing around..adding/replacing stuff.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2188 posts
705 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes got my rakuten cash back of 46.xx..
Jan 13, 2017
27 posts
17 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: I just ordered the 3590 @ 580+ tax.. and I still have to see if it gets the 8% rakuten..
If it does (-$47) its definitely deal for a 10g i5, 8g ram and 256sdd and 15"FHD 1920x1080... thanks OP.
My target was $500 .. and this came the closest without be messing around..adding/replacing stuff.
I just did the same...the 3590 looks like it will be an ideal machine for my son in HS and should last him into Univ. Thanks for posting and expanding on the deal aviador!
Apr 13, 2009
711 posts
234 upvotes
Any way to get this deal with French or bilingual keyboard? Kids go to French school and need one.