Expired Hot Deals

Dell

Dell Vostro 220 PC w/Intel C2D 2.66Ghz E7300, 2GB, 160GB HD $339 or w/E2200 $289 Hot!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2009 9:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto

[Dell] Dell Vostro 220 PC w/Intel C2D 2.66Ghz E7300, 2GB, 160GB HD $339 or w/E2200 $289 Hot!

Hot stuff coming through! Right now, Dell.ca has a Vostro 220 desktop PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7300, 2GB RAM, 160GB hard drive, and Vista Basic for $339!. Alternatively, you can choose a slightly downgraded E2220 processor for $289!

These are actually some newly added upgrades to the Dual-Core Celeron system that has its own thread, but I think the E7300 and E2200 configurations are good enough deals that it warrants some fresh attention.

Here are the full specs:

Vostro 220 PC w/Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 (2.66GHZ, 3MB Cache) for $339
  • Genuine Windows Vista
129 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6164 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa
No option for having a Vista-less system? Anyone here do the 'downgrade' on their own with successful results using Dell hardwarde?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto
skanji wrote: No option for having a Vista-less system? Anyone here do the 'downgrade' on their own with successful results using Dell hardwarde?
Dell and other large PC manufacturers have been bound by an agreement with Microsoft to stop selling new Windows XP based systems (besides netbooks) since mid-2008. And at this price, they aren't going to strip out the operating system as well. The only way to get XP pre-installed is to choose Vista Business, which includes downgrade rights.

It's absolutely possible to do an OS installation of your own on Dell hardware.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6164 posts
92 upvotes
Ottawa
AndrewRFD wrote: Dell and other large PC manufacturers have been bound by an agreement with Microsoft to stop selling new Windows XP based systems (besides netbooks) since mid-2008. And at this price, they aren't going to strip out the operating system as well. The only way to get XP pre-installed is to choose Vista Business, which includes downgrade rights.

It's absolutely possible to do an OS installation of your own on Dell hardware.
thanks for the heads up!
Apr 15, 2007
382 posts
45 upvotes
Acton, Ontario
skanji wrote: Anyone here do the 'downgrade' on their own with successful results using Dell hardwarde?
I recently bought a Studio Hybrid with Vista on it. I tried downgrading to XP, but the installation would not start. I figured out that there is an option in the BIOS that you have to change. Can't remember the option (maybe EHCP or something), but once I changed that the install went through with no problem. Something to do with XP installer not having SATA drivers I think.

After that I had to search for drivers for everything as Dell does not offer XP drivers if you just look up the model of computer. I actually found the drivers on the Dell website though, but had to search for each specific item I needed a driver for. Can be a bit of a pain.

I'm not sure if the Vostro is subject to the same thing, but maybe.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2956 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
you can do this with the vostro 220 slim tower as well
Sep 28, 2007
307 posts
52 upvotes
is there any disadvantages to having the slim version of this comp as opposed to the regular one?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3790 posts
2153 upvotes
Toronto
Your choices for video card upgrades will become very limited :)
Jun 29, 2005
248 posts
78 upvotes
Edmonton
pmeth wrote: I recently bought a Studio Hybrid with Vista on it. I tried downgrading to XP, but the installation would not start. I figured out that there is an option in the BIOS that you have to change. Can't remember the option (maybe EHCP or something), but once I changed that the install went through with no problem. Something to do with XP installer not having SATA drivers I think.

After that I had to search for drivers for everything as Dell does not offer XP drivers if you just look up the model of computer. I actually found the drivers on the Dell website though, but had to search for each specific item I needed a driver for. Can be a bit of a pain.

I'm not sure if the Vostro is subject to the same thing, but maybe.
I think you mean AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface), which is another term for native Sata. It includes Hot swap and Native Command Queuing (NCQ). Your system will run fine leaving it in ide emulation mode, with a slightly higher CPU usage when taxing the disks.

You could also have provided a floppy disk with the SATA Drivers on it, and press F8 at the blue-screen install for a "Third party raid or scsi driver" (it tells you).

Hope that helps
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4377 posts
4253 upvotes
Toronto
Gnome187 wrote: is there any disadvantages to having the slim version of this comp as opposed to the regular one?
As Homer88 mentioned, upgrade options (specifically, PCI/PCI-E cards) can be limited.

The slim design means that if you want to add a discrete video card or other PCI/E peripheral later, it will have to be a low-profile card, like so:
[IMG]http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:A5T ... rofile.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9470 posts
1604 upvotes
Great deal, but honestly... they really couldn't of thrown in a DVDRW instead? That's pretty lame. -sg
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Nov 10, 2003
747 posts
333 upvotes
Richmond
Anyone knows if the DVD-ROM drive is SATA? Or IDE?

Also, how many SATA devices can it support?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
19 upvotes
Anyone know how many IDE devices we can add? I have some old hard drives...
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3621 posts
96 upvotes
Might be limited - I've come across some mobos with no IDE's at all.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Banned
Dec 13, 2008
23 posts
Homer88 wrote: Your choices for video card upgrades will become very limited Image
yeah, was thinking the same thing. Hmm.. Think I might go with the slim system, thanks!
Jul 10, 2002
473 posts
169 upvotes
I want to have DVI output and I don't feel like the proposed 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 is worth $70.

First question, do I get the same power supply if I buy it with a dedicated video card?

Second, what cheap video card would you suggest for a non-gamer? Low-noise is prefered over performance. As long as it can play HD movies and use Vista effects.
Oct 7, 2007
370 posts
46 upvotes
I have a bunch of these at my office.

They have 4 SATA ports and 0 (ZERO) IDE ports. So no IDE drives unless you buy an addon PCI card. (therefore the DVD is SATA)

They are very quiet. They all come with a 300W power supply, regardless of video card choice. This is the best price I've seen on the 220s yet.

Also, the 300W power supply does not have extra connectors for high powered video cards, so if you are planning a high-powered video card, be aware of this.

As far as video Cards go, pretty much anything out there made in the last couple of years will play HD movies. I picked up a passively cooled GeForce 8200 LE at Memory Express for one of my users, and it works just fine. I paid $50 for it, which is also too much, but I was short on time. You have to hunt around the Internet for the best price.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8272 posts
633 upvotes
Could hardly build one with legit OS for the price . Good deal!
Heatware: 36-0-0
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2002
1440 posts
217 upvotes
kag wrote: I want to have DVI output and I don't feel like the proposed 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 is worth $70.

First question, do I get the same power supply if I buy it with a dedicated video card?

Second, what cheap video card would you suggest for a non-gamer? Low-noise is prefered over performance. As long as it can play HD movies and use Vista effects.
The ASUS 256MB PCI-e EA3450/DI is available aftermarket, ranging from 40-55$ before rebate. It has VGA, HDMI and DVI, as well as includes the low profile bracket. It is passive and does not require a power connector; can decode BD/HD and fine for Vista.

Infonec, CanadaComputers and Newegg carry it (may have to wait a bit before it restocks though)
Sep 21, 2006
88 posts
6 upvotes
Kitchener
donjuancarlos wrote: I have a bunch of these at my office.

They have 4 SATA ports and 0 (ZERO) IDE ports. So no IDE drives unless you buy an addon PCI card. (therefore the DVD is SATA)

They are very quiet. They all come with a 300W power supply, regardless of video card choice. This is the best price I've seen on the 220s yet.

Also, the 300W power supply does not have extra connectors for high powered video cards, so if you are planning a high-powered video card, be aware of this.

As far as video Cards go, pretty much anything out there made in the last couple of years will play HD movies. I picked up a passively cooled GeForce 8200 LE at Memory Express for one of my users, and it works just fine. I paid $50 for it, which is also too much, but I was short on time. You have to hunt around the Internet for the best price.
This is great information. Do you know how many bays are there in this machine (e.g. how many extra DVD writers and hard drives can be put in)? Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)