Expired Hot Deals

[Dell] WARM: Alienware R10 (Ryzen 5800/RTX 3080)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2021 1:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 17, 2007
198 posts
111 upvotes

[Dell] WARM: Alienware R10 (Ryzen 5800/RTX 3080)

Weekend sale

Can further be discounted 10% with sign-up code, and Rakuten 2%

Total after tax (ONT): $2,694.033 - $47.68 (Rakuten, pre-tax) = $2,646.35

Other configurations for GPU, SSD, and RAM are available. recommend getting dual channel RAM for Ryzen (which unfortunately isn't a free upgrade on this configuration)

May be worth rolling the dice on Rakuten increasing at some point this weekend (up to 10% at times)

Bring on the hate but this is a great price, especially given availability of the 3080. ships by 8/6 (with many people receiving their computers weeks in advance of estimates)
98 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3215 posts
3636 upvotes
For miners: not sure if Dell cards will end up being crippled for mining.
For gamers: Alienware machines are loud as turbines and has bad cooling due to poor airflow but unfortunately this is a possible way to get a 3080 for gaming.
Nov 24, 2013
174 posts
110 upvotes
Burnaby
Got an r10 with 3080 during boxing day, the case is not designed well for airflow. I installed water cooling and it still runs at an uncomfortably high temp. I have heard others gutting it to put it into another atx case as an alternative but that's just added cost to get another mobo. Also the 'killer app' driver on the builtin network card is a bloatware that isn't straightforward to remove. Software was easy to u install but the drivers still contained the code that collects analytics on your usage
May 11, 2014
194 posts
86 upvotes
BC
Price is good for specs. Just personally seems alot of money to drop for gaming. The inside of the cases is something out of 1995 btw.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3363 posts
4155 upvotes
Oakville
renegadeavenger wrote: For miners: not sure if Dell cards will end up being crippled for mining.
For gamers: Alienware machines are loud as turbines and has bad cooling due to poor airflow but unfortunately this is a possible way to get a 3080 for gaming.
LoL without fail, you post this one every Dell Alienware thread. Do you have an auto alert setup and a vendetta ever since your famous experience which is now burned in the memory of every RFDer

Anyway, like I post in other Alienware threads. Yes it's loud and yes for cooling I needed to do upgrades, but for the price and having a 3090 card I'm very very happy, and like others I sold the graphics card and made a profit while keeping the rest of the computer for free.

Crypto hash pay rate isn't good right now but my computers still earning $5USD/day. To date it has earned my $1,300 since the Valentine's Day sail.

All thanks to redflagdealsguy for convincing us to buy it.

But to everyone, like Renegadeavenger said, heating and noise come hand in hand with this purchase.
-ZdpZ... ;)
May 11, 2014
194 posts
86 upvotes
BC
How does the 1850 dell G5 with 3060ti compare?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3215 posts
3636 upvotes
zdpz wrote:
LoL without fail, you post this one every Dell Alienware thread. Do you have an auto alert setup and a vendetta ever since your famous experience which is now burned in the memory of every RFDer

Anyway, like I post in other Alienware threads. Yes it's loud and yes for cooling I needed to do upgrades, but for the price and having a 3090 card I'm very very happy, and like others I sold the graphics card and made a profit while keeping the rest of the computer for free.

Crypto hash pay rate isn't good right now but my computers still earning $5USD/day. To date it has earned my $1,300 since the Valentine's Day sail.

All thanks to redflagdealsguy for convincing us to buy it.

But to everyone, like Renegadeavenger said, heating and noise come hand in hand with this purchase.
I don't know man.. I just want people to think carefully about the cooling before buying.. If the videocard wasn't difficult to find, I would had never bought an Alienware.

The cooling... Really put a thorn in me for life. Never buying Alienware again.

I actually changed my fans but it doesn't help with cooling, it helps the noise. My computer still runs damn hot for gaming.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3215 posts
3636 upvotes
random1234 wrote: How does the 1850 dell G5 with 3060ti compare?
Alienware has water cooling option, g5 doesn't. But in general Alienware is a better build than g5.
May 11, 2014
194 posts
86 upvotes
BC
renegadeavenger wrote: Alienware has water cooling option, g5 doesn't. But in general Alienware is a better build than g5.
[/quote

Interesting. I prefer air cool. The r10s sleek exterior and AMD chip is better than G5 though.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3215 posts
3636 upvotes
random1234 wrote: The issue is with air cool.. Your unit will run to 100 degrees.. You can research more on that.. But air cooling is not the preferred option. Dell doesn't care about overheating.
Aug 16, 2009
256 posts
222 upvotes
Vancouver
unfortunately, it seems like like a prebuilt is the only way of getting hands on a 3080 without getting ripped off.

the alienware cases are a joke for airflow and temps run high even with liquid cooling.
I bought one nov/dec and ended up using the CPU, Ram, and GPU in a new build.
Fortunately for me Dell was having a sale at the time, stacked with the 10% discount, and the 10% rakuten, the overall net cost to me of the R10 + additional components, all works out to the same price as if i bought all the parts at MRSP and built my own computer.

Those who do use the dell 3080 in their own systems, the dell vbios update for their gpus can be run on any computer and not limited to their systems. so I was able to update the vbios and now have resizable bar running.

Dell doesn't always seem to give out sign up codes, seems to be hit or miss so YMMV.

although this would be morally grey, you can get a partial refund (about 5-10%) if you message Dell after receiving the computer and say you want to return it. They normally offer you some refund as an incentive for you to keep it instead of returning it.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2007
198 posts
111 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: I don't know man.. I just want people to think carefully about the cooling before buying.. If the videocard wasn't difficult to find, I would had never bought an Alienware.

I actually changed my fans but it doesn't help with cooling, it helps the noise. My computer still runs damn hot for gaming.
try the thermal paste. mine runs at expected temperatures after swapping fans (for noise), adding an additional fan for the GPU, and repasting the CPU/GPU
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3215 posts
3636 upvotes
efrivela wrote: try the thermal paste. mine runs at expected temperatures after swapping fans (for noise), adding an additional fan for the GPU, and repasting the CPU/GPU
I have double sandwich Radiator noctua a12x25 and 2 more of these in the front. I already repasted with arctic mx4.

The issue is compared to custom build, under high loads, the fans can't keep up. For moderate loads, the fans are fine. Under their stock fan, while yes it can keep up with temperatures if the fan runs at 100% and does better than my noctua. But it is really not realistic to run it with stock fan at 100% unless you seriously want to go deaf.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2007
198 posts
111 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: I have double sandwich Radiator noctua a12x25 and 2 more of these in the front. I already repasted with arctic mx4.

The issue is compared to custom build, under high loads, the fans can't keep up. For moderate loads, the fans are fine. Under their stock fan, while yes it can keep up with temperatures if the fan runs at 100% and does better than my noctua. But it is really not realistic to run it with stock fan at 100% unless you seriously want to go deaf.
it's funny that this is a legitimate issue lol (and it totally is, they are SO loud). luckily I use headphones. have you considered leaving some of the stock fans and just adding additional fans for help with cooling?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3215 posts
3636 upvotes
efrivela wrote:
it's funny that this is a legitimate issue lol (and it totally is, they are SO loud). luckily I use headphones. have you considered leaving some of the stock fans and just adding additional fans for help with cooling?
It's honestly the case.. Unless if we keep the side open which is kinda ugly and collects even more dust.

I think if I salvaged parts and put in a new case, it will run more perfect. However I did read someone tried and had to really do some major mods because the damn motherboard and even power supply are proprietary and the power supply pins wiring are even different than standard parts.

Totally don't want to bother putting much more effort in my Alienware. Already spent 150 bucks on fans.. I rather just custom build another machine eventually. For now I just have to deal with certain high load games, my CPU runs at 70+ Celsius.
Mar 6, 2018
108 posts
75 upvotes
I have Alienware R11, the case does not provide good airflow, fans get really loud on gaming.

Beware if you later decide to upgrade case fans or RAMs, many people got into BIOS error codes after upgrading fans or rams.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
2016 posts
278 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: I don't know man.. I just want people to think carefully about the cooling before buying.. If the videocard wasn't difficult to find, I would had never bought an Alienware.

Did you try using afterburner to lower the power draw and other settings? I believe that is the general recommendation for people with gaming desktops and laptops
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3106 posts
3468 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: For miners: not sure if Dell cards will end up being crippled for mining.
Nope. Been using this Dell build with the 3080 since February. Excellent card, gets 101 MH/S rock steady. Temp wise its 49C and 90C vram. Just put good thermal paste (not pads) into a few key areas and you're good to go.
ggg
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1185 posts
843 upvotes
I got an XPS with a 3070 just a few days ago and it was NOT LHR, just a heads up.
Apr 28, 2017
30 posts
8 upvotes
I think they changed the build to Rtx 3070 recently .