• Aug 30th, 2021 9:24 am
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes

Is this Dell worth the extra 100 bucks?

https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdet ... SPBiAReVeb

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/id ... scQAvD_BwE

Dell has better resolution, FHD vs HD. USB-C vs none.

I have no idea about Dell's CPU? is it much better than i3? it is for my elderly Dad for a couple hours of browsing the web. but still, if it's a much better deal....

Thanks in advance to share your thoughts.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4902 posts
1942 upvotes
Yes... Dell has better screen and processor. The Dell Ryzen is a 6core/12 thread while the Lenovo is 2 core/4 thread

But if you're on a super tight budget and you can't afford to spend the extra $100.. then you gotta do what you gotta do. The Lenovo machine is enough for normal web surfing. But the dell will perform much better. Just don't cut out the SSD to try to save a buck... SSD is a must for modern machines.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2010
975 posts
301 upvotes
coilz wrote: Yes... Dell has better screen and processor. The Dell Ryzen is a 6core/12 thread while the Lenovo is 2 core/4 thread

But if you're on a super tight budget and you can't afford to spend the extra $100.. then you gotta do what you gotta do. The Lenovo machine is enough for normal web surfing. But the dell will perform much better. Just don't cut out the SSD to try to save a buck... SSD is a must for modern machines.
I am not that tight at all. I just like to save money. both have SSD though...guess I will cancel the Lenovo order then.

mainly just for a elderly to surf the web
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4987 posts
1675 upvotes
1000islands wrote: Dell has better resolution, FHD vs HD. USB-C vs none.
The IdeaPad 3 screen resolution being 1366x768 should be an automatic no purchase. This isn't 2010 anymore lol. That resolution is even worst when you're on a 15" screen.

That Inspiron 15's Ryzen 5 5500U performance is better than the i3-10110U and runs cooler as well if you happen to have it on your lap more often than not. But for elderly people the screen resolution (1920x1080) is the selling point and worst case you can change the Windows display settings to scale at 125% or 150%.