Hot Deals

[Dell] XPS 13 7390 Developer Edition i5 10th Gen on sale $984 (with coupons+rebates)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 28th, 2020 1:56 am
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4512 posts
2908 upvotes
Burnaby
I'd like to see more laptops with 3:2 aspect ratio, like the MS Surface or the Huawei Matebook X Pro at affordable prices. I think Xiaomi had one model with this aspect ratio as well. These laptops are niche and expensive, though.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1930 posts
522 upvotes
Ottawa
CalgaryRunner wrote: I totally agree. I have last year's model (XPS 9380) and when I saw the new one had a 16:10 screen I wanted one. Maybe Dell will have a BF/CM doorcrasher with the specs I would want in order to tempt me to buy one.
I was pissed when Dell updated the XPS 13 to 16:10 less than six months after I got my brand new pre-order for the 2019 model.. At least I have a slightly faster CPU.
Sep 10, 2012
642 posts
410 upvotes
Saskatoon
I wonder if these will ever have the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs in them?
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1930 posts
522 upvotes
Ottawa
squint72 wrote: I wonder if these will ever have the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs in them?
I'm not sure, the I think the Developer Edition has always been Intel. It makes sense since historically they've had the best CPU+iGPU mobile support in Linux.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19790 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
radinfinitum wrote: I activated the 8% Dell Technologies for Work cashback promo from the rakuten extension, it says it's active, and when I go to checkout, the extension flashes for the 2% cashback bonus and the 8% cashback is no longer shown. How can I know for sure that the 8% cashback is active??
I would like to know too.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19790 posts
674 upvotes
Shanghai, China
FreezingCanada wrote: Personally, I would pass on this older 16:9 model. The newer 16:10 model is much nicer resolution to work on in my opinion.

I paid $1,500USD for the same model in October 2019, but with higher specs:

• i7-10710U (6-core at 1.1GHz base, 4.6GHz boost, perfect for a productivity laptop IMO)
  • 4k touch screen
  • 1TB SSD
  • 16GB RAM

I wouldn't advise getting just 8GB of RAM either. You will end up swapping when having a bunch of browser tabs open. 32GB is overkill unless you want to run VMs locally.

FYI the only difference as far as I'm aware with the Developer Edition is the lack of a fingerprint reader. A stock Windows 10 installer works fine, drivers are automatically installed.

I've lost slightly less than 15% over the past year of ownership. Not great, not terrible either.
You sure the current edition of the XPS 13 9300 doesn't have a fingerprint reader? I thought it was embedded into the power button?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2081 posts
774 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote: You sure the current edition of the XPS 13 9300 doesn't have a fingerprint reader? I thought it was embedded into the power button?
My XPS 13 9380 has a fingerprint reader embedded in the power button. The new XPS model has it too.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Dec 27, 2015
18 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Sgt_Strider wrote: I would like to know too.
I ended up logging in to Rakuten with a different browser which doesn't have the extension, activating the 8% cashback from my account, and completing my order on Dell. The 8% cashback shows on my account now. Seems that when there are multiple promos for one website, the extension doesn't know how to prioritize the different promos. If you buy it in another browser there should be no issue, I would do that just to be safe.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
1930 posts
522 upvotes
Ottawa
Sgt_Strider wrote:
You sure the current edition of the XPS 13 9300 doesn't have a fingerprint reader? I thought it was embedded into the power button?
CalgaryRunner wrote: My XPS 13 9380 has a fingerprint reader embedded in the power button. The new XPS model has it too.
Either the UEFI firmware disables it, or it physically isn't there. Haven't been able to find any high res pictures of the button to compare with mine.

The 2020 model does have one. https://bartongeorge.io/2020/01/01/intr ... oes-to-32/
Dec 27, 2015
18 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
9 days after I received my order confirmation, I checked my order status and it said cancelled! I sent an email to support who confirmed it had been cancelled by the system due to a "discontinued part" and said that I should have been alerted of the cancellation but for some reason I was never sent an email. They gave me the phone number to a sales rep who told me that they ran out of the model I ordered and could only send it to me by... December!! wtf... They offered to switch my order to a model with worse processor, worse memory, worse disk space, worse screen at nearly the same price, OR a better model with the same specs but better screen for $300 more. I personally don't care about a 4K screen and wouldn't pay any extra for it, the laptop would mostly be closed and connected to monitors. The coupons from this thread (including the 10% email discount) don't apply to the other models they offered me. When I said I just want the price in my order CONFIRMATION to be honored, they said it wasn't possible. They pointed me to the legal disclaimer at the bottom of the confirmation email that says:
Legal Disclaimer: Please note that Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors and reserves the right to cancel any orders arising from such errors.
I should never have been able to place an order for something they can't sell me. And since it was THEIR error, they should have honored the same price for something equal or better. Now I'm stuck either paying $300 more for something equal for my uses, paying nearly the same price for something worse, or waiting 3 months. And just to rub it in, they cancelled my order without telling me, I never would have found out unless I checked the status online. What a joke. Dell customer service has really disappointed me. Now I have to start over again and find a different laptop elsewhere.
Apr 15, 2008
441 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
I had the exact same experience. They cancelled my order. Called me to tell me that "I simply won't receive the laptop I ordered" and they could give me a replacement for 300 more. I was having seconds thoughts anyways. I have an aging MBP 2014 that I thought I would replace with this XPS 13, but ill pay more for a MacBook 13 I think. The customer service and overall satisfaction with everything Apple offers (warranty, support, compatibility, updates) make it worth spending an extra 600 for me. To each their own.

Thanks to OP for posting this even though Dell and their employees will do anything they can do shortchange you.