• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2022 1:48 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6302 posts
3801 upvotes
Toronto
lithwulf wrote: The new dell tower advertises that it supports ddr5
The New XPS Desktop has no discount. $1200 for MB + 12th gen cpu + 8gb ddr5 ram without GPU seems excessive. And for $2000 with 3060ti? I don't know. Maybe next year, they will have "new xps desktop" sale, but this thread is about cheap 8940s.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2393 posts
1622 upvotes
duckdown wrote: I am using a 10 year old PC and finally planning to build a new one and was focusing on DDR5 because I didn't see the point in buying older generation hardware if I'm starting from scratch.. Wouldn't it be easier to sell the DDR5 you have later and buy something better instead of having to upgrade both the motherboard and RAM? Just a novice hobbyist here so am genuinely unsure, thanks in advance
I'm more or less in the same situation as you, except I think my PC was about 7 years old before I upgraded.
If I didn't start gaming VR, I likely would have kept using my current PC.

Futureproofing doesn't really exist with PCs.
Newer faster cheaper tech always comes out. You need to build/purchase something that will fit your needs.

IF you want to future proof by getting DDR5 and a new socket, then go custom. Do it yourself, or go to Newegg, CanadaComputers, or Kijiji to find help.

Dell's PC is going to be LOCKED down.
Whatever speed DDR5 they put it, is likely the fastest it will ever support.
You might be able to add more DDR5 ram if you need it, but adding faster RAM is doubtful.

Just like how old DDR4 sticks are essentially worthless, the same will hold for these new DDR5 in a few years.
Every time they release a new memory spec, it takes a year or two, before the new stuff is actually faster than the old.

You're paying more for less if you go for DDR5 now.
Oct 2, 2016
617 posts
277 upvotes
I bought the second spec in OP's thread for 1349+12% cashback. Estimated delivery date is December 21st. Can't wait.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5649 posts
3415 upvotes
West Vancouver
Someone has their order being built ?

Edit: just checked. Mines being built.
Nov 30, 2021
12 posts
2 upvotes
Does anyone found the same problem as I have? The price on the Dell order is almost $400 cheaper than I paid? I did order through Ratuken with a 12% cash back, But that is only $200. Thank you.
Images
  • Screenshot_20211201-205013_Gmail.jpg
  • Screenshot_20211201-204957_Chrome.jpg
Dec 24, 2018
690 posts
718 upvotes
Canada
Your text to link here...

According to Dell, all new XPS desktop models come with LHR cards (from 3060 all the way to 3080). Anyone who bought a computer and the graphics card did not say LHR then you should be getting a non-lhr card. I also spoke with rep regarding my aurora r12 and she told me that if it doesn't say LHR then it's not.
Penalty Box
Jan 4, 2011
5649 posts
3415 upvotes
West Vancouver
FlyingSausage wrote: Your text to link here...

According to Dell, all new XPS desktop models come with LHR cards (from 3060 all the way to 3080). Anyone who bought a computer and the graphics card did not say LHR then you should be getting a non-lhr card. I also spoke with rep regarding my aurora r12 and she told me that if it doesn't say LHR then it's not.
Yep thats the info i got too.
Jan 4, 2011
96 posts
456 upvotes
Richmond
FlyingSausage wrote: Your text to link here...

If you switch to the business site, the XPS desktops there can be equipped with non-LHR 3070s.. not sure how many were left, but they were charging a premium for them.
Mar 3, 2009
262 posts
34 upvotes
sa_wood wrote: I just rechecked it. Dell is there...
Coz4k wrote: Someone has their order being built ?

Mine is just confirmed. So far, no confirmation from Rakuten for cash back.
Jun 3, 2017
118 posts
40 upvotes
MoneyQ wrote: Does anyone found the same problem as I have? The price on the Dell order is almost $400 cheaper than I paid? I did order through Ratuken with a 12% cash back, But that is only $200. Thank you.
I got the same problem
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1218 posts
442 upvotes
MoneyQ wrote: Does anyone found the same problem as I have? The price on the Dell order is almost $400 cheaper than I paid? I did order through Ratuken with a 12% cash back, But that is only $200. Thank you.
There are extras. You have to expand the specs to see them.
Jun 3, 2017
118 posts
40 upvotes
dgege wrote: There are extras. You have to expand the specs to see them.
Got it . CPU and graphics card are extras, plus a 5-dollar keyboard. Face With Tears Of Joy. They add up.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1561 posts
783 upvotes
Regina
Make money doing video editing weekly, currently have a Ryzen 3900x would it make sense to upgrade to a Intel i9 12900k or wait till Ryzen 6 series.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Nov 11, 2021
74 posts
17 upvotes
Coz4k wrote: Someone has their order being built ?

my 1650$cad pretax rtx3070 w dual channel w 12% rakuten is ''in production''

credit card isnt charged yet. No rakuten confirmation either
Nov 29, 2020
19 posts
2 upvotes
I ordered a different Dell on black friday and submitted a missing cash back request about 5 days ago and haven't got any response. I need to know if I should cancel my order as with out the cash back the deal is lukewarm...Anyone else having these issues? I keep reading how people who did this exact same thing got the cash back next day...
Jan 12, 2017
43 posts
223 upvotes
AyeKay604 wrote: I ordered a different Dell on black friday and submitted a missing cash back request about 5 days ago and haven't got any response. I need to know if I should cancel my order as with out the cash back the deal is lukewarm...Anyone else having these issues? I keep reading how people who did this exact same thing got the cash back next day...
I think it's different for everyone, I remember ordering a laptop in February and my cashback came the next day. My friend ordered the same laptop and his came in maybe a month after. I'm still waiting on mine from black Friday but I'm just going to bug Rakuten if it gets too long. My desktop just entered production so I think it's safe to say Dell can confirm my order with them now.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2589 posts
629 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
AyeKay604 wrote: I ordered a different Dell on black friday and submitted a missing cash back request about 5 days ago and haven't got any response. I need to know if I should cancel my order as with out the cash back the deal is lukewarm...Anyone else having these issues? I keep reading how people who did this exact same thing got the cash back next day...
same deal here. did the order @ 10pm on the 29th but for an i9k w/ 3070. it's sitting at the order confirmed stage. no response from rakuten yet. submitted the 'where's my cash back?' on Dec 1st.

not really concerned. some dell builds are just super slooowwww to get going. never had a rakuten issue or a dell issue. once it in the build stage it goes pretty quick. with some of my orders I've seen cash back in an hour or two. some orders in a couple of weeks.

I'm in no rush and this gives me time to see if anything better comes along and cancel this one. wish lenovo would make some towers available already to have more pre-built options.
Saving money on things I don't need since 2009. thanks RFD

Woodstock, ON
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37058 posts
23028 upvotes
Center of Universe
crashxxx wrote: same deal here. did the order @ 10pm on the 29th but for an i9k w/ 3070. it's sitting at the order confirmed stage. no response from rakuten yet. submitted the 'where's my cash back?' on Dec 1st.

not really concerned. some dell builds are just super slooowwww to get going. never had a rakuten issue or a dell issue. once it in the build stage it goes pretty quick. with some of my orders I've seen cash back in an hour or two. some orders in a couple of weeks.

I'm in no rush and this gives me time to see if anything better comes along and cancel this one. wish lenovo would make some towers available already to have more pre-built options.
There's a bunch of us waiting on orders placed early Nov...
Sep 24, 2016
9 posts
3 upvotes
I am in the same situation as you. I tried to do another "Where's my cashback?" and it returned an error because the "ticket" was still open, so my guess is that they're swamped with request.