Nov 24, 2007
1217 posts
1000 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…

[Delonghi.com] Delonghi Space Heaters - Minimum 20% Off with free shipping

Deal Link:
Savings:
20% off
Delonghi oil filled radiant heaters & ceramic heaters are on sale for minimum 20% off currently, with free shipping as well.

There's price matching opportunities with Lowes in store for some of the heaters, so you don't have to wait for the unit to be shipped. Perfect those of us in the regions with the extreme cold warning right now.

Oil filled radiant heaters: http://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/products/ ... -radiators
Ceramic/fan heaters: http://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/products/ ... ic-heaters
Last edited by dingmah on Dec 31st, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 replies
Apr 7, 2009
575 posts
358 upvotes
toronto
dingmah wrote: Delonghi oil filled radiant heaters & ceramic heaters are on sale for minimum 20% off currently, with free shipping as well.

There's price matching opportunities with Lowes in store for some of the heaters, so you don't have to wait for the unit to be shipped. Perfect those of us in the regions with the extreme cold warning right now.

Oil filled radiant heaters: http://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/products/ ... -radiators
Ceramic/fan heaters: http://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/products/ ... ic-heaters
Anyone have experience with their ceramic ones? I have a Lasko and it works fine but it's fairly basic. Wondering if these are an upgrade. Thx
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14827 posts
5707 upvotes
RFD
Not sure if this will help anyone, but I have had a Garrison oil heater from Canadian tire for 5 years, the one with the rotary dials. It works well for carpeted rooms that will trap the heat, but it doesn't work well for rooms with tiles or hardwood floors which are colder and don't trap in heat. However I will advise people not to buy any Heaters with rotary turn dials because the one on the Garrison broke (the rotary on/off dial) and is always stuck on the ON position now, but I have since put a timer plug on it. Now I will only seek to buy units that have push buttons to last longer.

My friend has a small Lancaster brand ceramic heater (the square one, not the new rounded one) and that thing gets hot especially if you near. But because it's small the fan is loud.

So I decided to buy a floor standing one and picked up a Hunter branded ceramic floor standing heater about 20 inches tall meant for medium sized rooms and up to 1500 watts from Home Depot. The actual ceramic heater part is half the size though of the physical unit. I get home, plug it in, and think oh wow its quiet, the fan is pushing but not amazing but at least its very quiet. The thing literally stops working after 30 seconds and never turns back on. Had to drive back and return it.

Got a replacement of the same model and it turns out to be louder but not that overly annoying. It spits out a fairly decent amount of air/heat. It warms up I think half of my room though, so I'll be out looking for something a little larger or one with a faster fan. The replacement model has not crapped out yet.

I think with a ceramic unit and for it to heat up a room, the fan needs to be quick, but that would be at the expense of being a little noisier. I hope to find one that has a good balance.
Jan 7, 2011
897 posts
475 upvotes
Get one at costco, never worry about it breaking down
Photography.
RedFlagDeals - Brea
self promotion is not allowed on RFD
Oct 28, 2017
134 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
THANKS10 for extra 10% off
Jul 24, 2011
165 posts
118 upvotes
TORONTO
Ordered with THANKS10 so thanks for that. Was on the fence but that put me over the edge. Was looking at them after reading wire cutter thing after these cold days. So thanks guys!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2805 upvotes
I use a DeLonghi heater like this one: http://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/products/ ... 0114662002

While I would recommend it overall, there have been 2 issues:

1. Recently it occasionally stops oscillating for no apparent reason, then suddenly resumes

2. It's not easy to look inside to attempt to diagnose the problem, because DeLonghi uses high-security screws on their heaters that cannot be removed by any ordinary tool, which personally I think is a very bad design.

Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2780 posts
896 upvotes
Can these replace baseboard heaters? And are they more efficient?
Nov 20, 2010
34 posts
19 upvotes
AB
Phat_cow wrote: Can these replace baseboard heaters? And are they more efficient?
Outside of some small variables, when it comes to efficiency electric heat is electric heat.
Jun 8, 2012
77 posts
113 upvotes
I bought the TRD40615TCA from costco last year, only to return after a week or so when I found that Amazon (at that time) was selling the newer design TRD40615ECA for almost same price (about $120 + tx).

I've been using the the TRD40615ECA for about a year - very satisfied: very efficient in heating the room, and very quiet and I really like the LOCK option so that kids can't mess with it or turn on/off. Only complaint is that it takes about a week initially to totally get rid of the harmful oil odor/smell that it generates, so you'll need to turn it on in a well ventilated space until that initial stage is done.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1217 posts
1000 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
RDFphusion wrote: I've been using the the TRD40615ECA for about a year - very satisfied: very efficient in heating the room, and very quiet and I really like the LOCK option so that kids can't mess with it or turn on/off. Only complaint is that it takes about a week initially to totally get rid of the harmful oil odor/smell that it generates, so you'll need to turn it on in a well ventilated space until that initial stage is done.
Bought the TRD40615ECA today, and it's been sitting in the garage full blast at 28 degrees for about 8 hours now. Hopefully it should be done tempering in a few more hours. When you say it took you a week to burn off the anti-rust oil, was that a week at normal use?

For others who are buying an oil filled radiant space heater for the first time, this post from a previous RFD thread is a great read on how to temper your oil filled radiant heater when you first get it to get rid of the burning oil smell. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/delongh ... #p27131775
I own two Delonghi oil-filled heaters. I bought them a few years ago, used them intermittently, then put them in storage. When fuel oil bills skyrocketed, I brought them out to start using again.

What motivated me to start using them again was when bill for heating oil for my little house jumped to over $300 a month. Using two Delonghi heaters set on "low" for sixteen hours a day, it has dropped to less than $50. That's a $250 a month in savings, in the coldest months.

My experience has been that oil filled heaters work great, if you know how to use them. Oil filled electric heaters aren't just "plug and play." If you use them as recommended, they're powerful, economic and effective. If you don't, you'll have the problems people complain about in some of these reviews.

How to use 'em:

1) Always TEMPER them before use. A lot of people skip this step, but you shouldn't. To temper them, before using them in your house, plug them in OUTSIDE of your house, in a well ventilated area such as a shop or shed (or a basement, if you don't have a shop). Set the heat on "high" and turn the dial ALL THE WAY UP to the highest temperature. Then leave them for several hours. It's true that this will "waste" a little electricity. (Leaving it that way for 24 hours may cost you a couple of bucks). But it's essential to do this because doing so burns off the coating the manufacturers put on to prevent them from rusting in the warehouse.

The directions say to do this for "two hours or more." I've found that it takes anywhere from two to twenty hours to burn the whole coating off. Once it's gone, the smell is gone forever. IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP, your heater will smell bad in the house every time it gets above a certain temperature (and the coating starts burning off). People who complain about a bad smell are often unaware of this step, or haven't tempered their heater long enough. When it's done being tempered, the smell should be totally gone, absolutely no smell.

2) I had a friend who complained about how ineffective her heater was. It turned out she was trying to use it in a 400 square foot area, with the door open! And the area was uninsulated. And she was shutting it on and off to "save power." You have to use common sense. If the room is uninsulated, insulate it. If the door's open, close it. If it's too big, get two or three heaters. And don't shut them on and off.... leave the heater ON. See point 4 below.

3) Don't expect instant heat. Oil filled heaters are great at MAINTINING the temperature in a room, but It takes a long time for oil filled heaters to RAISE the temperature when the room is cold. (If you have central heating, turn it on in the morning for about 15 minutes to take the chill of off the air. Then turn it off and turn your oil filled heaters on for the rest of the day. If you don't have central heating, set your oil filled heaters on high for a couple of hours, then lower them to low once the place is warmed up.)

4) Once the room does get warm, leave the heater ON. My friend said she was shutting hers off after it got warm to "save electricity." Then she'd come back two or three hours later, find the room cold, and turn it on and complain because it took hours to heat the room up again. Don't do what she did. Don't turn it on and off, on and off. That's what the thermostat is for. To use the thermostat on any oil filled heater, turn the dial to the HIGHEST setting, wait till the room gets toasty, then turn it DOWN just till you hear a soft click. No further. After you do this, it'll come on whenever the room drops below that temperature, and will shut itself off when the room is warm. Using the thermostat this way saves electricity more effectively than you could, and maintains a warm room while doing so.

5) I've seen comments on these posting boards like:

"My heater had a bad smell for weeks." Of course it did -- you didn't temper it. It was burning off a little of the coating each time it got hot. Start over. Take it out to a shed or shop, set up on high heat, turn the thermostat way up, and temper it to finish burning it off. Then there will be no smell at all. (If there is, you may have an oil leak, in which case, yes, return it to the place you bought it. But this is usually not the reason for the smell.)

"I took my heater out of the box, turned it on, waited four hours and it barely got warm, so I shipped it right back to the manufacturer." My comment would be, you were thinking of it as if it were a little space heater, the kind that gets burning hot to the touch. That's not how oil filled heaters work. They WARM the air gradually. They take time, when the room is very cold. They're among the best ways to keep a room warm and toasty economically, when used correctly. But you have to learn how they work and don't expect them to be what they're not.

Give them time, and learn how to use them, use common sense, and oil filled heaters will keep your home balmy and warm, using minimal electricity, and there will not be any smell at all.
Jun 8, 2012
77 posts
113 upvotes
dingmah wrote: Bought the TRD40615ECA today, and it's been sitting in the garage full blast at 28 degrees for about 8 hours now. Hopefully it should be done tempering in a few more hours. When you say it took you a week to burn off the anti-rust oil, was that a week at normal use?
Good point - sorry for the confusion. I should've mentioned that: I think it was around a week "but" intermittently. I remember I was turning it on about 2 to 3 hrs per day (Full Blast). I like the idea of putting it in the garage and leaving it there on highest setting for a day or so. I about to pull the trigger on a second unit of TRD40615ECA and I think I'll be doing just that. Cheers!
Nov 11, 2005
24 posts
5 upvotes
Just saw this as I was about to checkout....

This invoice is issued by De’Longhi America, Inc., a US based entity. You are advised that you are engaging in a transaction with De’Longhi America, Inc. domiciled in the USA. If your credit card is issued by a Canadian bank, you may incur an international fee (ranging between 1 – 3% of the purchase price) from your card issuer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1217 posts
1000 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
wesleyjw wrote: Just saw this as I was about to checkout....

This invoice is issued by De’Longhi America, Inc., a US based entity. You are advised that you are engaging in a transaction with De’Longhi America, Inc. domiciled in the USA. If your credit card is issued by a Canadian bank, you may incur an international fee (ranging between 1 – 3% of the purchase price) from your card issuer.
Hopefully there's a Lowes where you live and you can price match it in store.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1793 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like a good deal but I just wish these things looked better. From purely an appearance perspective, the design is pretty bad IMO.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1855 posts
1092 upvotes
Has anyone had experience using one of those wood cube infrared heaters to supplement heat a basement?

Are they better than the forced air ceramic?

I am looking for quick warm heat when the kids use the basement in the winter.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2805 upvotes
bizzyseller wrote: Are they better than the forced air ceramic?
I am looking for quick warm heat when the kids use the basement in the winter.
All varieties of home heaters put out a maximum of 1500 watts of heat (circuit limit), and all are 100% efficient at turning electricity into heat.

Heating and circulating the air with a fan heater is the fastest way to heat up a room.

Infrared heaters are good for heating the nearby exposed surfaces in one area of a larger room that's too big to heat up entirely with a fan heater.

Oil radiators don't heat up the room as quickly as a fan heater, but they are quieter and maintain a steady heat better. The oil-filled radiator adds thermal inertia to smooth out the temperature change as the heater cycles on and off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)