Expired Hot Deals

Multi-city -> Hong Kong (via US/NRT) RT $592! [last minute Sept/Oct]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2014 9:47 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6925 posts
2871 upvotes
Delta MR's for Canadians..... advantage because elite status on Delta doesn't need Medallion Qualifying Dollars. :P
Nov 24, 2005
216 posts
9 upvotes
barqy wrote:
Sep 5th, 2014 7:32 pm
has anyone flown delta to HK based on the last deal?

how was the in flight
I flew in March based on the last deal from Regina (YQR). Flights were pretty brutal length wise (~20 hours there and about ~27 hours back). It YQR->MSP->NRT->HKG and then reverse going back. Couldn't complain about the flights themselves, everything went pretty well. Meals were pretty meh but service was good. Wish I would have went for more than two weeks though.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6925 posts
2871 upvotes
Apparently the Chinese forums says there are some similarly-priced airfare in May (?) 2015. No clue since I don't know about these Chinese forums.
Aug 24, 2003
888 posts
117 upvotes
gvrd
awilke wrote:
Sep 6th, 2014 3:06 pm
I flew in March based on the last deal from Regina (YQR). Flights were pretty brutal length wise (~20 hours there and about ~27 hours back). It YQR->MSP->NRT->HKG and then reverse going back. Couldn't complain about the flights themselves, everything went pretty well. Meals were pretty meh but service was good. Wish I would have went for more than two weeks though.

so the inflight entertainment was OK?

what type of plane did delta use for the overseas part

edit: is 1hr 20 min layover enough time to check-in/board

never had lay overs before :(
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1150 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
barqy wrote:
Sep 7th, 2014 10:34 am
so the inflight entertainment was OK?

what type of plane did delta use for the overseas part

edit: is 1hr 20 min layover enough time to check-in/board

never had lay overs before :(
Delta inflight entertainment is good - a wide selection of movies. Much better than AC imo.

80mins is good for a CANADA-US flight as you basically gone through customs and security check "for US in Canada" (assuming YYZ). However, it might be tight for International-USA though, consider your plane has to taxi, you need to pick up your luggage for transfer, going through customs, security check and walking to your next gate. If you don't have any choice, its best to let someone know that you are in a rush to meet your connecting flight in US so they will bring you forward by skipping line ups.

Delta generally uses either 777 (3-3-3) or 747 (3-4-3).
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
3681 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
eeto wrote:
Sep 10th, 2014 11:55 am
Delta inflight entertainment is good - a wide selection of movies. Much better than AC imo.

80mins is good for a CANADA-US flight as you basically gone through customs and security check "for US in Canada" (assuming YYZ). However, it might be tight for International-USA though, consider your plane has to taxi, you need to pick up your luggage for transfer, going through customs, security check and walking to your next gate. If you don't have any choice, its best to let someone know that you are in a rush to meet your connecting flight in US so they will bring you forward by skipping line ups.

Delta generally uses either 777 (3-3-3) or 747 (3-4-3).
80 min is double what I'm being given. yyz to msp - 40 min to get to the next flight once I'm in minneapolis
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11320 posts
1513 upvotes
decision decision decision!!!!! if i fly Delta to HK and get another ticket to KL and after the $300 credit from BMO CC, i only pay like $500.....but 3 transits....
deicsion decision decision...LOL

how's the flying experience with delta airlines?

arr..only for like a week..I need 2 weeks..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1150 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Geologic wrote:
Sep 10th, 2014 12:14 pm
80 min is double what I'm being given. yyz to msp - 40 min to get to the next flight once I'm in minneapolis
You would want to rush a bit then - or see if you can get on an earlier flight from YYZ-MSP to be safe, depending on your preference. It's doable, just pretty rush.

MSP is a huge airport, and major delta hub. It takes a lot of time going from gate to gate (even with people-movers). Also for international flights, boarding time starts 45mins-60mins before the listed departing time, due to the larger aircraft capacity. The gates closes before the list departure time. Behind the scene, your luggage will need time to be transferred from aircraft to aircraft, or else it will need to take the next flight. You will also want to take in consideration of possibly even the slightest delays from YYZ, which you cannot afford.

Not really trying to scare you, but thinking that you have the full 40mins is an illusion.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11320 posts
1513 upvotes
how big is the airport at SEA and MSP? Is 1hour layover enough to transit?

will they ask me to pay more if i miss the flight?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1150 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote:
Sep 10th, 2014 1:13 pm

Not sure of SEA, as before 2014 most flights from YYZ-HKG will only need to do 2 transfer at MSP/DTW/ATL, and NRT. Delta is slowly turning SEA to a major hub recent years, so despite never been to SEA, pretty sure I will in the future - especially with the cancellation of routes DTW-HKG and NRT-HKG. Leaving SEA-HKG the only method of going to HK if I wish to fly with Delta.

MSP is a giant square. There are escalator people movers, and also unmanned-train people movers which you could use running along the inner square (I believe its only on 3 sides),. From domestic gate to int'l gates, it can easily take you 15minutes, +/- some buffer and time finding your way around. When you board the flight for YYZ-MSP, read the delta magazine. It gives you a rough idea of the airport layout. I believe the gate number for MSP is already assigned before the plane leaves YYZ, so you can google that info while waiting to board at YYZ.

For missed flights, I really don't know. I've never missed a connecting flight. You can call to ask whether you can change to an earlier flight without a penalty. As it is a legitimate concern and from their perspective, they won't want a no-show either. There are multiple flights YYZ-MSP daily, but only 1 flight MSP-NRT.

wish you good luck! :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5058 posts
497 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Sep 10th, 2014 1:13 pm

Airport in SEA is relatively small, it's basically the size of one terminal for YYZ. The traffic there isn't huge, but 1 hour layover may be tight to go through US -> INTERNATIONAL.

IMO, even when I flew domestic (US-US to US-CAN), a layover for 40 minutes is relatively short/rushed. After plane lands, you have to wait at least 5-10 minutes for taxi into terminal. Then 5 minutes to leave plane, find your surrounding and go to different gate (assuming you don't need to switch terminals or get luggage) and then board. You also need to note that they board about 10-15 mins before departure, if on time.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11320 posts
1513 upvotes
ok my question is ...let say from HKG...I already have the boarding pass for transit in States like SEA or MSP. When I reach the MSP, I need to checkout my luggage and check in again right? What if that time there are too many passengers and I know i wont make it to next connecting flight to Toronto and obviously I would have to take the next flight or they have to find one for me....do I have to pay additional $$$ or the diff on spot? Any one had experience before on missing the connecting flight?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1150 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote:
Sep 10th, 2014 1:50 pm
ok my question is ...let say from HKG...I already have the boarding pass for transit in States like SEA or MSP. When I reach the MSP, I need to checkout my luggage and check in again right? What if that time there are too many passengers and I know i wont make it to next connecting flight to Toronto and obviously I would have to take the next flight or they have to find one for me....do I have to pay additional $$$ or the diff on spot? Any one had experience before on missing the connecting flight?
A quick googling shows that if Delta give you that schedule, and if you missed the connecting flight due to delays from previous flight, customs and luggage etc, delta will rebook you for free... BUT, its ymmv.
[OP]
May 27, 2007
15691 posts
3124 upvotes
Toronto
Delta keeps dropping last minute fares to Hong Kong... :eek:

Start search here: https://www.google.ca/flights/#search;f ... p=650;mc=p

Availability:

(Note price drops from $633 to $592 when booking on Delta.com!)

V Class maps to 100% miles on Alaska's MP (total mileage 17k~ when going through Tokyo/Seattle).

Happy flying!

*** This can be considered a very good deal if you collect AS MP. Mileage run territory @ 3.5~ cpm ***
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!