Automotive

Demerit Points do not affect Insurance!!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 9:38 am
Member
User avatar
Dec 12, 2012
342 posts
559 upvotes
Received 5 (speeding) tickets in last 4 years, insurance company boosted our annual bill by over 25%

Best course of action?

- Is there a point of shopping around
- Should my suppose be primary on both of our vehicle insurances as she isn't affected by the price hike (as per my broker)

(been with same broker for 12yrs)


Thanks
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
10653 posts
6902 upvotes
Edmonton
Alkoholik wrote: Received 5 (speeding) tickets in last 4 years, insurance company boosted our annual bill by over 25%

Best course of action?

- Is there a point of shopping around
- Should my suppose be primary on both of our vehicle insurances as she isn't affected by the price hike (as per my broker)

(been with same broker for 12yrs)


Thanks
If you've got two vehicles and two drivers in the household, I don't think you'll have the option of putting one person as primary on both. And personally, I think you're lucky your insurance has only gone up 25%.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to shop around. Wouldn't hurt to slow down, either...

C
Member
User avatar
Dec 12, 2012
342 posts
559 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: If you've got two vehicles and two drivers in the household, I don't think you'll have the option of putting one person as primary on both. And personally, I think you're lucky your insurance has only gone up 25%.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to shop around. Wouldn't hurt to slow down, either...

C
Couldn't agree more on speeding. There is this beautiful 40km stretch of daily HWY commute which got me feeling like main character in Tokyo Drift.
Newbie
Oct 24, 2019
5 posts
I got a careless driving ticket a while ago and my trial is schedule for this month. I'm a truck driver. Last month, the prosecutor did offer a lesser charge with 2 demerit points. This week, they offered an interfere with traffic charge with 0 demerit points. I hired a lawyer who is Advising me to accept the offer.
What happen is that while driving on the highway, the car ahead of me stopped suddenly without any stop light on and once I saw that, there was a truck passing on the other Lane. My only option was to go on the side
And when doing so, I went into the ditch that was so muddy that I couldn't get out. After half an hour, the cop came and gavehave me the ticket. I got towed by a towing company. I got a drug test taken which was clean and I was coming back from a week off
I really need your ideas on this.
Thanks
Member
Nov 13, 2016
377 posts
209 upvotes
choupatye wrote: I got a careless driving ticket a while ago and my trial is schedule for this month. I'm a truck driver. Last month, the prosecutor did offer a lesser charge with 2 demerit points. This week, they offered an interfere with traffic charge with 0 demerit points. I hired a lawyer who is Advising me to accept the offer.
What happen is that while driving on the highway, the car ahead of me stopped suddenly without any stop light on and once I saw that, there was a truck passing on the other Lane. My only option was to go on the side
And when doing so, I went into the ditch that was so muddy that I couldn't get out. After half an hour, the cop came and gavehave me the ticket. I got towed by a towing company. I got a drug test taken which was clean and I was coming back from a week off
I really need your ideas on this.
Thanks
Do you have dashcam video of the incidence? If not, take the offer but first fire the paralegal if you have one. There is no need for them to plead guilty to a lesser charge.
If a video exists - fight the ticket but you might need some hand holding on how to introduce your video into evidence - so a paralelgal might be handy.

Good luck.
CD
Member
Apr 16, 2019
322 posts
265 upvotes
Do you agree or disagree with this statement: 'Generally, your first minor conviction will have little or no impact on your rates. But if you have had a second minor conviction in the last three years, it will most likely affect your premium. If you have had a number of minor driving convictions or even one major or serious conviction over the last three years, your premium will be higher.' from: https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broc ... e-set.aspx
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 29, 2011
882 posts
264 upvotes
Milton
iMarketing wrote: Do you agree or disagree with this statement: 'Generally, your first minor conviction will have little or no impact on your rates. But if you have had a second minor conviction in the last three years, it will most likely affect your premium. If you have had a number of minor driving convictions or even one major or serious conviction over the last three years, your premium will be higher.' from: https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broc ... e-set.aspx
That's pretty accurate.

Note that sometimes your rates may not technically increase with one ticket, but you could still end up paying more because you'd lose your "conviction free" discount if applicable, which you might have if you've gone long enough without any tickets.

For example, say your annual rate was $1200, and with no tickets you had a conviction-free discount of 15%, so were only actually paying $1020. You then get a (minor conviction) ticket, and at renewal lose that discount. Your rate remains the same at $1200, it didn't go up, but you're now having to actually pay $1200 instead of the discounted $1020. If you got an additional (minor conviction) ticket, then that $1200 rate would likely increase.
Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2011
333 posts
423 upvotes
My car got hydrolocked 3 weeks ago as I drove through puddle (it was raining heavily at the moment). Insurance company agreed to cover the loss and pay for the engine replacement which is around 15k. They also asked me to pay for betterment charges (20%) as I am getting new engine.

Insurance decided to take this as at fault claim. Will I see increase in premium during next renewal?. I had at fault accident in July 2015 which was forgiven under "Accident Forgiveness".

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
depends on their rules... some companies will cancel with 2 at faults in less than 6 years; however, since the first at fault was protected, you may only see the renewal issued at a 5 star... best would be to discuss with your broker as they know your file. I'd want to know how they deemed this as an at fault? did you hit something?
yashgandhi wrote: My car got hydrolocked 3 weeks ago as I drove through puddle (it was raining heavily at the moment). Insurance company agreed to cover the loss and pay for the engine replacement which is around 15k. They also asked me to pay for betterment charges (20%) as I am getting new engine.

Insurance decided to take this as at fault claim. Will I see increase in premium during next renewal?. I had at fault accident in July 2015 which was forgiven under "Accident Forgiveness".

Thanks
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Member
User avatar
Mar 7, 2011
333 posts
423 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: depends on their rules... some companies will cancel with 2 at faults in less than 6 years; however, since the first at fault was protected, you may only see the renewal issued at a 5 star... best would be to discuss with your broker as they know your file. I'd want to know how they deemed this as an at fault? did you hit something?
They said since there is no other vehicle involved they don't have anyone to blame to so they are counting this as at fault. I did not hit any other vehicle or damage any property. There is no bodily damage on my vehicle just mechanical.

I will talk to my broker to have at fault removed from my profile.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
I'd discuss this with the Broker... I'm not an adjuster; however, perhaps see if this can fall under comprehensive coverage, I don't see how collision would be the correct one.. but like I said, I'm not an adjuster..

see definitions below:

Specified Perils Coverage:
This coverage pays for losses caused by one of the following perils: fire; theft or attempted theft; lightning, windstorm, hail, or rising waterr; earthquake; explosion; riot or civil disturbance; falling or forced landing of an aircraft or parts of an aircraft; or the stranding, sinking, burning, derailment or collision of any kind of transport in, or upon which an insured vehicle is being carried on land or water.
Comprehensive Coverage:
This coverage pays for losses, other than those covered by Collision or Upset, i[i]ncluding perils listed under Specified Perils[/i], falling or flying objects, missiles and vandalism.
Collision or Upset Coverage:
This coverage pays for losses caused when an insured vehicle is involved in a collision with another object, including another vehicle, or rolls over. "Object" includes: another vehicle or a trailer that is attached to the vehicle that is covered by your insurance policy; the surface of the ground, and any object in or on the ground.
All Perils Coverage:
This combines Collision or Upset and Comprehensive coverages. In addition, it covers loss or damage caused if a person who lives in your home steals the vehicle that is covered by your insurance policy. All Perils also covers you if an employee who drives or uses, services or repairs that vehicle, steals it. For example, if you take your vehicle to a garage for repairs and an employee involved in the repair of your vehicle steals it, All Perils would cover you.
yashgandhi wrote: They said since there is no other vehicle involved they don't have anyone to blame to so they are counting this as at fault. I did not hit any other vehicle or damage any property. There is no bodily damage on my vehicle just mechanical.

I will talk to my broker to have at fault removed from my profile.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
10653 posts
6902 upvotes
Edmonton
COSMIC5 wrote: I'd discuss this with the Broker... I'm not an adjuster; however, perhaps see if this can fall under comprehensive coverage, I don't see how collision would be the correct one.. but like I said, I'm not an adjuster..

see definitions below:

Specified Perils Coverage:
This coverage pays for losses caused by one of the following perils: fire; theft or attempted theft; lightning, windstorm, hail, or rising waterr; earthquake; explosion; riot or civil disturbance; falling or forced landing of an aircraft or parts of an aircraft; or the stranding, sinking, burning, derailment or collision of any kind of transport in, or upon which an insured vehicle is being carried on land or water.
Comprehensive Coverage:
This coverage pays for losses, other than those covered by Collision or Upset, i[i]ncluding perils listed under Specified Perils[/i], falling or flying objects, missiles and vandalism.
Collision or Upset Coverage:
This coverage pays for losses caused when an insured vehicle is involved in a collision with another object, including another vehicle, or rolls over. "Object" includes: another vehicle or a trailer that is attached to the vehicle that is covered by your insurance policy; the surface of the ground, and any object in or on the ground.
All Perils Coverage:
This combines Collision or Upset and Comprehensive coverages. In addition, it covers loss or damage caused if a person who lives in your home steals the vehicle that is covered by your insurance policy. All Perils also covers you if an employee who drives or uses, services or repairs that vehicle, steals it. For example, if you take your vehicle to a garage for repairs and an employee involved in the repair of your vehicle steals it, All Perils would cover you.
I'm further removed from the insurance process than you, but to me, "rising water" would mean water rising to a high enough level to damage the car, like a flood. Not "I was driving along, lost control because of a puddle".

C
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
Like I stated, I'm not an adjuster.. can't hurt to suggest this option to the company
CNeufeld wrote: I'm further removed from the insurance process than you, but to me, "rising water" would mean water rising to a high enough level to damage the car, like a flood. Not "I was driving along, lost control because of a puddle".

C
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Newbie
Mar 6, 2015
27 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
I went to the court house today to meet with the prosecutor for a "Disobey sign" ticket. After explaining my situation, I was told I would get no demerit points, got my ticket reduced to $60 and they said this would not go on my records. I want to know, will this still affect my insurance rates?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
8605 posts
1294 upvotes
Ontario
most likely yes, it will. Its still a conviction
Megatron077 wrote: I went to the court house today to meet with the prosecutor for a "Disobey sign" ticket. After explaining my situation, I was told I would get no demerit points, got my ticket reduced to $60 and they said this would not go on my records. I want to know, will this still affect my insurance rates?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience

Top