• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2020 4:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 8, 2011
42 posts
6 upvotes

Demo Honda CRV

Went to my local Honda today to test drive a CRV. We then asked about the price of the exact demo 2020 Sport CRV we test drove (less than 4000km on it). We were first offered $2000 off which we quickly said no to. Salesperson then consulted with his manager and came back and offered half price. We still declined and said we would think about it.

Is it too good to be true? Are there questions I should be asking? I've read I can ask about how the car was used (test drive vs staff car vs loanee) and asking for accident history but know that there's nothing to confirm their answers. We are planning to finance our new car.

Thanks in advance for the help
23 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1498 posts
392 upvotes
Vancouver
Half price of what? What is the out the door price of the demo vs new?
[OP]
Jun 8, 2011
42 posts
6 upvotes
Original quote after taxes was 43000 (MSRP for new car is 35k + a few add ons + taxes). Didn't get an exact number for "half price" but I would assume it's half off this quote
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3954 posts
2933 upvotes
GTA
$21.5K for almost brand new CRV with less than 5000 kms is great but not realistic. It's only your dream OP. there is no half price CRVs. If you manage to get 2020 CRV demo for 21.5K all in , you will be nominated for RFD's Hall of Fame.
Nov 9, 2020
54 posts
31 upvotes
if It was true then you should have put pen to paper LOL. No way you will get that offer now. But seriously like many here said salesperson probably wasn’t agreeing to to sell you a high demand car for half price. He might be saying his manager only allowed him to go half of his initial discount. Then the haggle BS begins.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28716 posts
9164 upvotes
LOL half price after refusing $2000 off, on a vehicle that's over $40k? Indeed OP is in dreamland or car was involved in accident between time of $2000 discount offering and "going to see manager" :lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15896 posts
13737 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Knowing your location would help lol

I was offered a touring when these first came out at cost + $600. I think it was $3500 off or some crap like that. This is in Toronto.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2011
42 posts
6 upvotes
Not gonna lie, I was surprised just as much as you guys lol. I had to ask a second time "what did you say?! Face With Tears Of Joy". My first instinct was that there might be something wrong with the car: previous accident?

Needless to say if I only had the RFD mentality of "buy now think later". I guess we'll see what happens when we go back next week.

I'm located in Mississauga
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3954 posts
2933 upvotes
GTA
ace353 wrote: Not gonna lie, I was surprised just as much as you guys lol. I had to ask a second time "what did you say?! Face With Tears Of Joy". My first instinct was that there might be something wrong with the car: previous accident?

Needless to say if I only had the RFD mentality of "buy now think later". I guess we'll see what happens when we go back next week.

They will make big eyes and think you are the biggest cannabis user in Canada. And they will laugh long after you leave disappointed.
Feb 17, 2015
865 posts
951 upvotes
Canada
You should have sat down with them when they said half the price. See the numbers at least, if it reflects on the Bill of Sale. If it is really $21.5K out the door then I would have signed the Bill of Sale and RAN! Face With Tears Of Joy
ace353 wrote: Not gonna lie, I was surprised just as much as you guys lol. I had to ask a second time "what did you say?! Face With Tears Of Joy". My first instinct was that there might be something wrong with the car: previous accident?

Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8689 posts
5618 upvotes
Kootenays
If this was not a mistake in communication, the salesman was seeing how serious you are. Anyone not jumping on a vehicle (demo or not, accident or not) with 4,000 kms on it for "half price" is not ready to purchase and wasting the salesman's time. If it truly was available for half price, you could have bought it, driven it for 4 years and sold it for what you paid. You will never see an opportunity like this again and probably didn't in the first place. Somebody has made a mistake.
Oct 21, 2006
635 posts
395 upvotes
op I would ask them to put all the numbers and figures in writing or printing. Make sure you take your phone out to take pics of each revision. As with the posters above, I highly doubt they're offering it to you for "half price". I would be over the moon if it's "3/4 price" to be very honest.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11558 posts
3818 upvotes
Toronto
The manager is just insulting you.
"Dude, how low do you want, half price!?"
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1498 posts
392 upvotes
Vancouver
Half price on accessories maybe.
Jun 5, 2017
125 posts
126 upvotes
Always be careful in dealerships when they leave you to discuss things with your partner in the office alone. Typically the phone in the room will be switched on for audio and they can listen to your conversation in another room.
Images
  • A6F5D175-BD65-415D-AF72-2F4F73A15AB1.jpeg
Aug 12, 2020
15 posts
7 upvotes
Montréal
They probably just want to check if you are ready to buy the car at that time or not. Usually they just ask if you would buy the car immediately if the price is good. If not, they won’t talk much about the price with you. Apparently they don’t want to you to get their price and compare with other dealers. I just hope one day they all sell cars like Tesla and save people time for the price talks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8689 posts
5618 upvotes
Kootenays
OP made 39 posts in 10 years, is MIA and may never post again!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18729 posts
6751 upvotes
Toronto
From $2000 off to half off? LOL. I think OP misunderstood.